User from Spain. Second LEAF for the family is a good idea?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avp

Hi,
I am the owner of a 2013 LEAF ACENTA from october 2013. Here in Spain we have three grades of LEAF, Visia (the basic one), Acenta (middle) and Tekna (top. I think in USA the versions are SV, etc.... My LEAF has already completed 40 k (kms) that corresponds to 25 k (miles) and we are very happy with the car.
I have been recording with LBA almost 80% of the drives. So I have recorded the evolution of the main parameters regarding the battery health (AHr, Hx and SOH). I dont know exactly the meaning of each one and therefore the differences among them. We bought the car in october13 and the LBA is active from feb14. The first SOH registered was 94. Then, during the summer (with max temperatures in Madrid about 100F) it went down to 89 (I was a Little bit concerned about that), but now, one year and three moths after buying the car, the SOH is... 95!!!!
The question for you and my reason to write here is the following.
We are really thinking about buying a second LEAF. We would like to buy a TEKNA (the top version).
The dealer has one for sale at an interesting price with battery in property. In Spain the Brand new LEAF are extremely expensive. That is why dealers offer almost new cars (they call them Kilometro 0). These are cars used during 6 months by the dealer itself (customer tests, etc).
Last Friday my wife and I went to see the car (it is exactly what we want). The price is excellent for Spain (22.500 €). We asked the dealer to connect the OBDII and the LBA and we were very surprised to see the following results:
AHr=59,04
SOH=90%
Hx=89,91%
Odo 889 km
10 QCs
14 L1/L2
Battery temp: 6 ºC (The car was in the exterior of the building)

All the cells seem to be disbalanced (they are orange). In the LBA register (.csv file) the voltaje values are negative (in my car they are positive).
And the question is. Do you think is normal to have 90 SOH for an almost new car with 800 km (500 miles)?
Do you think the battery is in a quite good condition?
Do you think it could be a problem of cell balancing?
And temperatures?
Thank you very much for your opinions!!!

avp said:
All the cells seem to be disbalanced (they are orange).
Bit strange that all the cell pairs are orange.
Did you change the shunt color from default red to orange?

What was date of manufacture on driver's door?

If demonstration vehicle was left at 100% charge for long time in Madrid heat it could be at 90% status of health (similar to battery capacity %).

Hello. I'm no expert on the readings, but I'm sure others who are will chime in. I'd like to suggest that you have the dealer charge it to 100% on the "normal" 240V EVSE (not the DC Quick Chager) and let it stay plug in at 100% for about 4-6 hours, and then retest it to see if the cells are then balanced.

Who knows how they've been charging it? You're right to check it out before making an offer.

Look at the cell voltages on the 50 mv scale, and what is
that one low cell (near the left edge) doing?

To equalize, since the low cell cannot be brought up to
the level of others, all the others need to be discharged
down to the level of the one low cell.

If that low cell remains low when the battery is down to
around 25%, it might be a candidate for Nissan testing
and warranty replacement of the module containing that cell.

I did not design the Leaf Spy Pro, but it is excellent for
getting a look into a potential purchase. Get more
help on the thread that discusses the Leaf Spy parameters.

Salud, Gary

Back