Unused miles when approaching end of lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnylax

I'm about 3 months away from the end of my two year lease. It looks like I will only use about 14k miles when it's all said and done. I was allotted 24k total on the lease (12k per year), but was able to telecommute more often then originally planned which reduced my commute mileage on the Leaf.

Is there any negotiation room on new Leaf lease when I "return" these unused miles back to Nissan/Nissan Finance?

Unfortunately unused miles at the end of the lease are not refundable or transferable to a new lease. I too will be giving my car back with less than the allotted mileage, though not as low as yours.

Same here. I turned in my i-MiEV with 10,500 miles on 24,000 miles available. I think the low mileage was factored in, though, because I ended up getting a small refund check (Ally bank).

I just looked at my NMAC contact and it specifically says there will be no refund for any unused miles. It's under section 6 "Important Terms" just after the allotted mileage allowance and excess mileage fee.

sonnylax said:
I'm about 3 months away from the end of my two year lease. It looks like I will only use about 14k miles when it's all said and done. I was allotted 24k total on the lease (12k per year), but was able to telecommute more often then originally planned which reduced my commute mileage on the Leaf.

Is there any negotiation room on new Leaf lease when I "return" these unused miles back to Nissan/Nissan Finance?
NO

LeftieBiker said:
A super-low mileage Leaf might be worth buying and then reselling, if they lower the residual...
that's the rub, the residuals are too high, my leaf is going back after almost 2 years with less than 10k miles on it and I still am "under water" on it

caffeinekid said:
LeftieBiker said:
That's why I stipulated Nissan lowering the residual. Would $5k be enough lower?
How did you manage that? $4-5K lower sounds about right...

See the other end of lease strategies thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16629&hilit=end+of&start=160#p407144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NMAC has been offering a $5,000 residual reduction on some 2012 leased vehicles.
Occasionally the leasee got info from NMAC or the dealer.
Often they had to push for it with NMAC.
Apparently they are loosing so much on lease returns at auction they did this to moderate the losses.

But I have not read of anyone with a 2011 getting that offer.

TimLee said:
caffeinekid said:
LeftieBiker said:
That's why I stipulated Nissan lowering the residual. Would $5k be enough lower?
How did you manage that? $4-5K lower sounds about right...

See the other end of lease strategies thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16629&hilit=end+of&start=160#p407144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NMAC has been offering a $5,000 residual reduction on some 2012 leased vehicles.
Occasionally the leasee got info from NMAC or the dealer.
Often they had to push for it with NMAC.
Apparently they are loosing so much on lease returns at auction they did this to moderate the losses.

But I have not read of anyone with a 2011 getting that offer.
Thanks for the link. Somehow I missed that one. I might have to go that route.

Back