Replacing my 2012 Leaf SL with MB B class electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volterman

My 2012 Leaf SL lease is close to the end.

Signed a new lease with Mercedez Benz for B class.

I was paying $249/month with $5,000 drive off for Leaf SL.

The new MB lease is $4,000 drive off and $280 /month. Same 3 year cost

MB B class have lots of premium features like collision prevention, 10 kw charger, memory seats etc. and the 3 pointed star on the grill :)
Couldn't resist the deal..

If you are looking for a SV or SL , I would definitely reccommend to take a loot at B class EV also with Tesla inside

TomT said:
What options did you get and what was the Cap price? I'm kind of waiting for the 2015 MY with the refresh...

I got the Premium package , walnut trim . MSRP was $46,400. Cap cost was $32,642 (after $7500 rebate and MB discount). Interest rate is 0.725%. Never seen such a low rate on lease before.

While the MB B-EV has some luxury features not available at all in the Leaf (like power driver's seat with 3 position memory, and rain-sensing wipers), I was surprised at what was NOT included in the $41,450 base price:

• heated front seats ($580 by themselves, or as part of the $2980 Premium Package)
  • satellite radio ($460 by itself, included with Premium Package)
  • iPod connectivity (requires Media Interface option at $310 by itself, included with Premium Package)
  • rear view camera (can only be ordered as part of $2370 Multimedia package, which also requires Premium Package). Sorry, but having to spend $5k+ just to get a backup camera is unacceptable today when far cheaper cars give it to you for free.

But, leather seats are a free upgrade.

as long as you are ok with the limited range of these BEVs you made a good move, my leaf is being replaced by a MB-GLA, the limited range offered by the leaf and the newer offerings just don't work where we are because of the huge distances between things.

volterman said:
My 2012 Leaf SL lease is close to the end.

Signed a new lease with Mercedez Benz for B class.

I was paying $249/month with $5,000 drive off for Leaf SL.

The new MB lease is $4,000 drive off and $280 /month. Same 3 year cost

MB B class have lots of premium features like collision prevention, 10 kw charger, memory seats etc. and the 3 pointed star on the grill :)
Couldn't resist the deal..

If you are looking for a SV or SL , I would definitely reccommend to take a loot at B class EV also with Tesla inside

This could also be my EV replacement for my '12 SL but mine was purchased not leased and has minimal battery degradation (as well as the MBZ B-class electric is not yet for sale in the Midwest) so will be waiting to see how these perform once they become more common. Reading through the MBZ config site on these there are lots of options not offered on the LEAF; especially those of us who have the '11 and '12 models. Perhaps this should get merged with the main thread on these …

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10017&start=450

volterman said:
TomT said:
What options did you get and what was the Cap price? I'm kind of waiting for the 2015 MY with the refresh...

I got the Premium package , walnut trim . MSRP was $46,400. Cap cost was $32,642 (after $7500 rebate and MB discount). Interest rate is 0.725%. Never seen such a low rate on lease before.

Probably has something to do with Mercedes being the largest buyer of ZEV credits and I read they had to pay a lot (can't find a link but it was millions) to the EPA in 2014 for not meeting targets.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/21/nissan-edges-out-tesla-with-most-zev-credits-sold-in-california/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy#Low_penalty not specific to this years amount but Mercedes has paid a fine 21 times over a 25 year period 1983-2008

Maybe a total coincidence or they got the numbers mixed up and wrote the same number twice but Mercedes bought the exact same amount that Nissan sold, 663.6.

Now that Mercedes has sold off the Tesla shares maybe we'll see leaf 2 spin off with a Mercedes platform as they've been working together on ICE'rs.

I'd be really interested in hearing a real range test on the highway at a steady 60 mph since that's something I don't think the EPA tests anymore and the weight penalty isn't such a big factor.

Too bad it does not have the same pack size as the RAV and the same performance. The RAV even with its low FWD traction is a second faster with all its weight and can do an easy 120 mile on the freeway, If this car offered that is would be really tempting.

EVDRIVER said:
Too bad it does not have the same pack size as the RAV and the same performance. The RAV even with its low FWD traction is a second faster with all its weight and can do an easy 120 mile on the freeway, If this car offered that is would be really tempting.

Both cars weigh almost exactly the same, about 4000 pounds. Both use Tesla battery packs with Panasonic 2900ma cells

Mercedes B-Class ED battery --- Toyota RAV4 EV

36.0kWh total – 100% SOC ---- 48kWh total (estimate)
31.5kWh usable- 90.0% SOC -- 41.8kWh
28.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC -- 35.0kWh
1.0 kWh unusable- 2.7% SOC -- 1.0kWh

The published voltage range 4.2v to 2.5v, which is 3.35v average.

Mercedes - 3.35v * 2900mah * 3696 cells = 35.9kWh

Toyota - 3.35v * 2900mah * 4940 cells (estimate)= 48.0kWh (estimate)

Mercedes
B-Class ED - 3.6*** miles per kWh (278 wattHours per mile) * 31.5kWh = 113 miles / EPA 104

Toyota
Rav4 EV - 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) * 41.8kWh = 142 miles / EPA 113

Range at 65mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, battery capacity is "useable" amount, not advertised amount. Ranges are at maximum available charge and EPA rating is the maximum published.

Nissan
LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 21.3kWh = 85.2 miles / EPA 84

GM / Chevrolet
2014 Spark EV - 5 miles per kWh (200 wattHours per mile) * 19kWh = 95 miles / EPA 82
2015 Spark EV - 5 miles per kWh (200 wattHours per mile) * 18kWh = 90 miles

Kia

Soul EV - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 27kWh = 108 miles / EPA 93

*** Mercedes does some goofy BS with the economy meter... it's calibrated "from the wall", so 3.6 miles per kWh will show 3.0 on the dash. The correction factor is 83.7%, or 1.2

Back