Advice on 2012 Leaf SV with 4k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalapeno

Hi all, new here so I apologize in advance if this question is not appropriate. I am thinking about joining the LEAF family and purchasing a used '12 Leaf SV currently on sale at a local dealership for around $18K. I have two questions:

1) From lurking around here there is a lot of talk about battery degradation. Is battery degradation an issue with a car of this age and mileage? I live in the southeast so it is hot year round. I work from home so most trips would be under 20 miles, I don't expect to need to push it more than approx 50 miles a day before charging.

2) What would be a fair out of the door price to pay for this vehicle? Looks to be in good condition, it was barely used by the original owner.

3) What kinds of things should I be checking for when buying a used LEAF? Saw some posts about checking the battery through the diagnostics port before purchase. Anything else I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Battery degradation COULD be an issue, not so much for mileage but for calendar aging, ESPECIALLY if it was kept in a very hot environment like Phoenix or Las Vegas. Did you run a CarFax to see where the car was originally titled? The Southeast has hot humid summers, but remember that you also can get cold snaps in winter, and a car with reduced capacity will be even more difficult to use in winter, when winter conditions plus increased heater usage (all 2011 and 2012 models use a power hungry heater) already conspire to reduce range.

2. I'll let others chime in for this, but remember that a new Leaf qualifies for up to $7500 in Federal tax incentives. If you purchase, you will get a maximum of $7500 off your Federal taxes (so if you pay less, you won't get the whole thing), but if you lease, the $7500 is taken straight off the purchase price if you lease with NMAC, Nissan's own financing arm. Depending where you are, you may qualify for additional incentives as well. So factor that in with the price of a used one, which is not eligible for such incentives at all.

3. Make sure the "trickle charger" is in the trunk; a new one is over $1,000 to replace. Make sure the car does not have the dreaded "B0133" branding on the VIN; Nissan earlier this year attached "The Scarlet B" to the VINs of at least some cars whose owners opted out of a class action lawsuit known as Klee v. Nissan North America. Cars with this branding are NOT eligible for the 5 year/60k premature degradation warranty, which otherwise guarantees your battery will have at least 9 bars during this time period.

As much as I enjoy my 2011 (own), and have recommended used Leafs to others for low mileage commutes in moderate climates, I am beginning to wonder about the financial benefit in certain areas of the country, especially Georgia (when the OP said SE US, I just assumed GA). Given the $7500 federal tax credit and $5000 GA credit, it seems crazy to buy used, especially with the battery degradation issue in these climates. Although my 2011 has had no problems (except ~20% degradation) in 3.5 yrs and will continue to meet my needs for another 5-10 yrs, I am "slightly" disappointed because I was expecting to see 20% degradation at 6-8 yrs (low mileage, mid-range charging, low power use mostly city driving). The 2011-2012 batteries are showing known degradation issues, while the 2013+ batteries "seem" to be holding up better (only time will tell).

At this juncture, I hesitate to recommend the 2011-2012 Leafs in the South (East, Central or West) unless the purchaser had less than 20 mi commute and could get a "very good" deal. Right now $18K doesn't even sound like a "good" deal to me. Look around, but I think they're going for $10-$12K now:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8354&hilit=auction
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16088
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16869&start=20#p403658

If I were to purchase used, I would absolutely use Leaf Spy to check the battery and require a multiple-day test drive to confirm the range to LBW, VLBW and Turtle. Also, since we now know about the battery replacement at less than 6 yr and 60,000 mi, I would absolutely only purchase a vehicle that would be guaranteed with getting the replacement battery. The OP states 4,000 mi which is very low, but batteries also degrade with time, so you don't really know. With continued low mileage driving, I would look for a higher mileage used Leaf, such that I reached 58,000 miles right before it's 6th year.

You may say those are impossible criteria. Well maybe so, but it's Dec, end of the year, and Nissan probably wants to break 30,000 sales in 2014. Negotiate with a dealer and see if they want to be the one who sells the 30,000th Leaf in 2014. Also, remember that each year batteries and options are improving. When/if the "inexpensive" 150 mi Leaf arrives in the Fall of 2015, what will that do to the price of used "50 mi" 2011-2012 Leafs?

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

Reddy said:
As much as I enjoy my 2011 (own), and have recommended used Leafs to others for low mileage commutes in moderate climates, I am beginning to wonder about the financial benefit in certain areas of the country, especially Georgia (when the OP said SE US, I just assumed GA). Given the $7500 federal tax credit and $5000 GA credit, it seems crazy to buy used, especially with the battery degradation issue in these climates.

bingo.... No reason to buy used in Georgia. As the GA tax credit for new leases/purchases is very, very strong. The GA state tax credit for EV's is likely on the chopping block in 1Q2015, so buyer beware. No idea how they will handle 2015 EV purchases and/or leases, if the law is modified.

Back