First Time Leaser-Do I have room to negotiate in this deal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilarybrogers

I've never done a lease before, only purchased. I just got a quote from a very helpful internet sales guy here in the Denver, Colorado area (Lakewood exactly). I'm not sure what all the details would be, but here's what he sent. I just want to make sure that you experienced lessors don't think I could do better.

It's a 2015 Nissan Leaf S, Optional equipment includes: Charge Package ($1,170) , Cargo Cover ($300), Splash Guards ($190), Floor Mats & Cargo Area Mat ($180) and he said he would do the tinting for $280

Price: $32,430
Dealer Discount and rebates: $11,960
Net after rebate: $20,470

$258/mo for 36 months for $0 down ($229 if we put $1000 down)
$240/mo for 48 months for $0 down ($219 if we put $1000 down)

I'm thinking the 36 months and $0 option, so is $258 (plus taxes and other fees) an ok price?

Thanks in advance!
Hilary

I have not leased but wonder if you are getting any sort of "deal" here -

Sticker price $32,430 - won't argue on this point it is what it is.
Dealer Discount and rebates - is this including the Colorado rebate? Take the 7500 federal rebate (assigned to lease company) and you have about $4460 left. I believe the CO rebate is around $3500 so take that out and you are now looking at a 'discount' of $960 or so. I'm not impressed if this is indeed the case - as I understand it, there should be some Nissan finance sponsored rebates in there as well...

I may be well off base - maybe that 4460 IS the Nissan finance rebate; in which case would you still qualify for the CO rebates and how much? Stick that on there (if indeed $3500 range) and you drop your "net after rebate" to around $17K which may well be decent.

I picked up my 2013 S with I think very similar additions (6.6kw/DCQC, backup camera, splash guards (I think that is what htey called it) and mats... didn't get cargo carrier though. My net after all rebates and including TTL here in MA was just under $15K (we have a $2500 MA rebate that worked into there). I'm sure I got some consideration for taking the 2013 year model off the lot with all the 2015's on their way in so I may have had an advantage there.

Now once you get your actual purchase price figured out - rest of lease is a matter of how many miles you are allowed, the assumed residual value, and the interest rate they calc into the payments.

I was told that I'm still able to get the Colorado state refund which is like $5000 and they said that you can still get it even if you lease. It's based in the kWh...
Nissan Leaf Example:
$21,300 (base price of Leaf after $7,500 federal credit) X 24kWh = $5,112 Credit

hilarybrogers said:
I was told that I'm still able to get the Colorado state refund which is like $5000 and they said that you can still get it even if you lease. It's based in the kWh...
Nissan Leaf Example:
$21,300 (base price of Leaf after $7,500 federal credit) X 24kWh = $5,112 Credit

There must be some limits, there, else a Tesla Model D would become very appealing:

$68,570x85kWh=$58284.50.

From what I've seen here this isn't a bad lease for zero down, and with the Charge package. You might see if you can get an SV for a little more, but if the S is what you want I'd say go for it. If you are worried ask another dealer or two if they can beat it.

Good point on moving up to the SV - since you are in Colorado I expect you will need the heater more often and may well appreciate the reduced energy use of the upgraded heater.

Can someone explain the benefits of the upgraded heater option? Any other major upgrades that are noteworthy from an S with charging package to an SV? I don't need the navigation system.

Also, heard back that with tax it puts the monthly payment up to $298-urgh! More than I was hoping. Going to a different dealership today, but their internet quote was more out of the gate. I hate the back and forth.

-Hilary

The current nation wide Leaf Lease deal for Dec is $199 a Mo. lease for 36 mos $2,399 Initial down payment. This is for a bare bones model S

If you can, I would go money down and then hagel on the the monthly price & fees.
you can then reimburse yourself for the downpayment with The $5,112 Colorado tax credit

It also looks like if your base cost of the leaf is more $$ you can get more $ from the state. up to 6k total

More info on the colorado tax credit
http://electricridecolorado.com/get_set/my_home/ready-your-home/colorado-tax-credits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since its almost tax time if you file Jan 1st you get your tax credit fast!

Watch for the FEE's they will add. Make sure you they are not crazy by taking a look at other peoples order details in this forum
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1114&start=620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can someone explain the benefits of the upgraded heater option? Any other major upgrades that are noteworthy from an S with charging package to an SV? I don't need the navigation system.

The heatpump system uses much less energy in mild Winter weather (down to about freezing), then significantly less from there to about 15F, and still helps a little down to 0F or so. So unless it's always near Zero where you live the SV will have better Winter range than the S. The Premium Package is worth it for the All Around View 4 camera system, but if you don't care about that look for a "stripped" base SV. That will be cheaper if a little harder to find. It will also be less popular and easier to negotiate around.

Wanted to update with what we got:

2015 Nissan Leaf S leased for 36 months 12k miles $0 down, in the Denver, Colorado metro area for $265/month
Has the upgraded quick charge, splash guards, and they threw in tinted windows (going back on Friday to have them done) and all weather mats (and the cloth ones too actually) for free. Feeling pretty good.

Also, Nissan of america is offering a free Aeroenvironment EVSE, but they faxed in the form, so not sure how long that will take to get in. We have to update our house sooner than that, so we will have to just buy one on amazon and sell this one on ebay or something when it gets here.

-Hilary

Back