Possible to break lease due to recall?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamshy

Hello folks,

I am wondering if it's possible to break the lease due to the Leaf having a recall issued for your VIN number?

I would love the opportunity to break the lease if possible.

The recall which specifically effects my VIN is this "2013-2014 Nissan Leaf Electric Cars Recalled For Airbag Sensor Issue" http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091102_2013-2014-nissan-leaf-electric-cars-recalled-for-airbag-sensor-issue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would really love to hear if anyone has knowledge / advice in this area.

I am also upset because I really felt bullied into a high cost lease contract by Redwood City Nissan Dealership in California. Paying $253 per month for S model (2014). Yes it has QC but after reading this forum my rate seems way too high.

Thanks in advance!
-Liam

As TomT said, just having a defect needing repair under warranty isn't grounds for breaking a lease.

But, if the car isn't "fixed" by the recall, then you have a case. In other words, if the dealer can't repair a car, then the so-called lemon law gives you some alternatives.

Bob

California's Lemon Law Buyback is quite specific about the conditions under which a manufacturer can be forced to take back a car:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll to page 7.

$253 a month is not necessarily "way too high." Nissan's official lease program starting in late 2012 was $199/month x36 + tax with $1999 down. That was for the base model (SV in 2012, S without QC for 2013 and later). If you put less money down, of course the monthly payment will go up. Also does that $253/month include tax? Remember sales tax can be up to 10% in certain municipalities.

Now if you're paying $400/month for 4 years with $4k down on a lease, then you may have a point about paying way too much.

Thanks guys for your reply. I had a feeling that was the case, but wanted to see if anyone had further insight / experience. Very helpful!

In regards to the payment being too high, maybe it's not extreme, but I have definitely read folks on here getting better deals. I put 3.5k down btw.

It was my first time leasing, and suffice to say, I learned a lot. Dealer tactics can be brutal.

In the meantime I better get this issue fixed so my passenger doesn't die from failed airbag deployment.... :|

Thanks guys! Really glad this forum is here as a resource and community!

-Liam

I brought my 2013 in for the airbag sensor recall which they apparently did not fix. When a passenger is in the front seat the light indicating the airbag is disabled lights up. I brought it in 2 more times for this issue and it still has the same problems. Do you think this qualifies under California lemon law to start a case?

liamshy said:
Hello folks,

I am wondering if it's possible to break the lease due to the Leaf having a recall issued for your VIN number?

I would love the opportunity to break the lease if possible.

The recall which specifically effects my VIN is this "2013-2014 Nissan Leaf Electric Cars Recalled For Airbag Sensor Issue" http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091102_2013-2014-nissan-leaf-electric-cars-recalled-for-airbag-sensor-issue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would really love to hear if anyone has knowledge / advice in this area.

I am also upset because I really felt bullied into a high cost lease contract by Redwood City Nissan Dealership in California. Paying $253 per month for S model (2014). Yes it has QC but after reading this forum my rate seems way too high.

Thanks in advance!
-Liam

jcurtis said:
I brought my 2013 in for the airbag sensor recall which they apparently did not fix. When a passenger is in the front seat the light indicating the airbag is disabled lights up. I brought it in 2 more times for this issue and it still has the same problems. Do you think this qualifies under California lemon law to start a case?
How heavy is the passenger? I don't know the exact criteria for OCS classification on whether the passenger airbag should be disabled but I believe the algorithm is not only based upon weight but possibly based on weight distribution, as well.

Re: CA lemon law, see http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Back