COLORADO- Figuring Federal credit into state credit HELP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

I leased a Leaf in 2013 in Colorado. Long story short I trusted TurboTax with my 2013 taxes and they completely ignored my Colorado State EV tax credit so I got nothing. I'm going to refile on paper and do it correctly to get the money!

I know you have the choice to do either the 2010-2013 or the 2013-2021 model year method. I'm going to do the 2010-2013 method because it's slightly more (or a lot more, which is my question!).

I got the 17-page packet about how to figure it all out. Worksheet 1.3 on page 4 is for figuring out a leased EV. Of course, the dealer retains the $7,500 Federal Tax credit on leases. So on line 2 "Any grant, credit, or rebate reflected in the lease" I put $7,500. They put the $7,500 down as a "rebate" on the contract in a few places. Using all these numbers you compute your Leased Vehicle Factor. 0.12 in my case.

But then on Page 3 Worksheet 1.1, Line 2 is "Any available federal credit (see http://www.irs.gov)". Am I supposed to put ANOTHER $7,500 here??? If I do, my tax credit drops by almost $700. But it's so specific it feels like I have to acknowledge it. But perhaps it means the tax credit that I personally would qualify for, which is zero. I don't know. I don't want the whole thing to be declined of course.

Any help? To those that leased starting in 2013 and using the old calculation method, what did you do? Thanks!

wantonsoup said:
I leased a Leaf in 2013 in Colorado. Long story short I trusted TurboTax with my 2013 taxes and they completely ignored my Colorado State EV tax credit so I got nothing. I'm going to refile on paper and do it correctly to get the money!

I know you have the choice to do either the 2010-2013 or the 2013-2021 model year method. I'm going to do the 2010-2013 method because it's slightly more (or a lot more, which is my question!).

I got the 17-page packet about how to figure it all out. Worksheet 1.3 on page 4 is for figuring out a leased EV. Of course, the dealer retains the $7,500 Federal Tax credit on leases. So on line 2 "Any grant, credit, or rebate reflected in the lease" I put $7,500. They put the $7,500 down as a "rebate" on the contract in a few places. Using all these numbers you compute your Leased Vehicle Factor. 0.12 in my case.

But then on Page 3 Worksheet 1.1, Line 2 is "Any available federal credit (see http://www.irs.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)". Am I supposed to put ANOTHER $7,500 here??? If I do, my tax credit drops by almost $700. But it's so specific it feels like I have to acknowledge it. But perhaps it means the tax credit that I personally would qualify for, which is zero. I don't know. I don't want the whole thing to be declined of course.

Any help? To those that leased starting in 2013 and using the old calculation method, what did you do? Thanks!

I have not filed since leasing my leaf this year so I could be wrong but the way I interpret that the credit is already gone and used in the lease calculation and as such cannot(should not) be input twice into the calculation.

Also for anyone reading this, the 2013 and the 2012 Turbo Tax options failed to include EV credit. Also when leasing you don't get the federal credit because that came off the top when you leased because Nissan was the 'person' who 'put the vehicle in service'.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CO tax questions.

ksnogas2112 said:
Also for anyone reading this, the 2013 and the 2012 Turbo Tax options failed to include EV credit. Also when leasing you don't get the federal credit because that came off the top when you leased because Nissan was the 'person' who 'put the vehicle in service'.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled CO tax questions.

Really? When I did my 2012 turbotax I had a lease to claim and I did have to do the form manually and add it with the return. But with 2013 turbotax (claiming a purchase) the form was built and and ready to use. However, I had to override the form's choice of the old calculation method to force the new to be used - I did that by manually editing the form.

Regarding the original question, don't count the $7500. You don't get the credit, NMAC does. Your lease price reflected that credit already.

Original Poster update: Looking at the actual form DR 0617 for 2013, the questions are:

8. Federal credit for which the purchaser, lessor, or lessee is eligible
That's associated with the second part of my original post. And cleary, the answer here is $7,500, since although me, the lessor, can't claim the federal tax credit, Nissan, the lessee surely can and did.

Then we go down to this:

12. Used cost of leased value (see instructions)
That's the first part of my original post. I guess I need to ignore the part of my loan documents where it applies the $7,500 federal tax credit as a rebate on my lease? It doesn't seem honest or fair for Colorado to basically bill me twice for it - once against my total lease payments, and then again on the value of the car. One or the other. Their way is basically saying the car is worth $15,000 less, because the total value is $7,500 less, and also my lease payments are basically $7,500 lower because of the fed tax credit.

Hope that makes sense. Unless I hear different, I'll file leaving the "rebate" portion blank. If Colorado makes me jump through this hoop again, it's not a ton of paperwork to file again.

Back