Potential New 2015 Leaf Leaser - Need Some Advice

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moshelevy

Hello All-

I've been a hybrid driver since 2007, when I bought a Prius Touring model. In 2012, I upgraded to a Chevy Volt, which I loved, and gave back after the lease was through this past June. (In the interim, I helped employees at work switch from ICE cars to plug-ins by installing 5 free charging stations at work, as well as 175KWh solar array on the roof). We now have quite a collection of plug-ins, including Volts, Fusions, Accords, and even a Model S.

Anyway, I've been riding my motorcycle as sole transportation since I gave the Volt back, and now it's time to get a car. I realize that next year is going to see a roll out of many improvements - new Volt, new Leaf coming soon, possibly an Infiniti variant, and so on. I really don't want to be stuck in a 2015 for more than 2 years. So, long story short, I called Chevy and they're not leasing for less than 36 months. That's a dealbreaker for me.

I called around here, and Nissan is dealing in 24 month leases. Best I could find was an SL with Premium Package (the car I would want) for $350.00 / mo. @ 15k miles per year for 24 months. $1500 total out of pocket to drive off. I didn't care much about residual or anything else because I'm not buying the car - just using it to tide me through to the next gen coming out soon.

In the Volt world, you quickly discover that there are certain dealers - all of whom are in California - that move such volume, that it's still cheaper to lease from them and flatbed the car here to NJ. I actually leased 3 Volts for employees that way. This $350 / mo. deal I speak of is local. Can you guys with experience comment to tell me if that's reasonable, or if (as with the Volt) the CA (or anywhere else) deals are substantially better?

The curious thing will be if a Leaf will actually work in my lifestyle. I have quite a long commute - 53 miles each way - and it's mostly highway, AND I tend to drive fairly quickly. That said, I only really use the car if I'm carrying the kids somewhere, or if it's raining or snowing. Otherwise, I'm more of a motorcycle guy.

Any advice appreciated.

-MKL

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

That commute will ONLY work if you can reliably charge at work and you obviously must be able to charge at home too. If you leave home w/a full charge, you might be ok in winter/as your battery degrades if you charge all day at 120 volts. Without it, forget it.

OK, I'll update the profile etc. soon. I'm unfortunately in NJ.

Regarding charging, that's no issue. At home, I've got a 15A SPX 240VAC charger from my prior Volt, and at work I've got a 30A 240VAC Clipper Creek. Both home and work are solar powered as well. So I will be able to charge both to and from work, no problem. I wonder, however, about winter use, and a 53 mile commute that is maybe 45 solid miles of 75mph minimum. It gets into the 20s here in the winter.

-MKL

If you're just trying to wait until some improved models come out, you may be better off buying a used Prius for those days when you can't commute by motorcycle. Or perhaps a used Leaf with a bit of degradation, but not too much or else you won't be able to make it even one way.

Leasing works better for me. Very little out of pocket, and usually a very simple transaction with no surprises. My wife still has her 2008 Prius Touring, and she can use the Leaf too if I need a car for long trips. So it's really a question of this: Is $350 / mo. for 24 months / 15k miles per year on a 2015 SL with Premium and $1500 grand total out of pocket a good deal? Or not?

-MKL

moshelevy said:
So it's really a question of this: Is $350 / mo. for 24 months / 15k miles per year on a 2015 SL with Premium and $1500 grand total out of pocket a good deal? Or not?
Including tax or not? Regardless, I'd make the down payment $0 (yeah, your monthly payment will go up), since it's commonly mentioned here that if the car gets totaled, you get nothing back, so you want to pay as little upfront as possible.

Got that part too. Yes, it includes taxes, fees, docs, etc. - everything.

Now, does anyone have any feedback on the actual monthly of $350 given the aforementioned parameters?

-MKL

IIRC, the best deals I've seen like that were $350 a month with zero down, but for the S model, maybe for an SV with no Premium package. So tentatively, yes it seem like an ok deal. It's true about losing the downpayment if the car is totaled, but it also seems to be true that making one gets you a better total payment. Others will chime in soon, I'm sure.

moshelevy said:
... I wonder, however, about winter use, and a 53 mile commute that is maybe 45 solid miles of 75mph minimum. It gets into the 20s here in the winter.

-MKL
Pretty marginal.
See Tony Williams range chart:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With the high speed commute in 20F weather you are bit marginal even when the vehicle is brand new if you like heat.
Although 2015 has more heat tolerant chemistry and if you get SV or SL with heat pump HVAC that helps some but not much at 20F, may be real marginal near end of two year lease.

regarding your long commute, as long as you have a guaranteed L2 ability to recharge while at work the distance and speeds should not be an issue, the weather in NJ in winter would be your biggest issue. YMMV

moshelevy said:
Got that part too. Yes, it includes taxes, fees, docs, etc. - everything.

Now, does anyone have any feedback on the actual monthly of $350 given the aforementioned parameters?

-MKL

Yes, that sounds like a very good deal. Good enough to not bother shopping and shipping cross-country.

moshelevy said:
I called around here, and Nissan is dealing in 24 month leases. Best I could find was an SL with Premium Package (the car I would want) for $350.00 / mo. @ 15k miles per year for 24 months. $1500 total out of pocket to drive off. I didn't care much about residual or anything else because I'm not buying the car - just using it to tide me through to the next gen coming out soon.

A local dealer (Magic Nissan, talk to Ray) is offering this. Usually a Magic has a very fair initial price.

Leaf SL w/ premium $34,042 24 mon
$O DOWN $345
$1000 DOWN $303

Note, this is in Washington State, and 12k miles per year.

Thanks guys.

Seems to me that if I can talk them down a little, it would be nice to get it locally.

Also in the running is a nice 2013 Prius Plug-In I found on Swapalease locally, which I can walk into at $275/mo. and use for 2,000 miles per month. It's done in 12 months, which gets me out even sooner. The Prius is pretty miserable to drive, though. That's the downside.

-MKL

WetEV said:
moshelevy said:

A local dealer (Magic Nissan, talk to Ray) is offering this. Usually a Magic has a very fair initial price.

Leaf SL w/ premium $34,042 24 mon
$O DOWN $345
$1000 DOWN $303

Note, this is in Washington State, and 12k miles per year.
plus tax or all in? Thanks!

Have you considered having a Soul EV shipped out from CA? Assuming they'd do a two year lease.

Its only two years, you can get a LEAF SV with QC with zero down for around $300/month, the SL's not that much better.

How about an electric motorcycle?

The Zero DS, which I rode, has just enough range in the base version, and almost double what you need in the long range version. If we had a dealer here I'd buy one.

moshelevy said:
... I wonder, however, about winter use, and a 53 mile commute that is maybe 45 solid miles of 75mph minimum. It gets into the 20s here in the winter.

-MKL
Did you read the LEAF range chart :?:
On a level road at a steady 75 mph on a 70F day the range is only 62 miles.
At 20F that is reduced 12.5% due the increased drag from the denser cold air and does not include any power for heat.
A range of 54 miles.
And that is with a brand new perfect battery.
Zero capacity degradation.

Just want to be sure you understand the LEAF range for the commute conditions you stated.
The LEAF has very little margin for the conditions you stated.

Back