2015 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recmob

I've been speaking with a Leaf dealer here in FL regarding possibly leasing. Because of the mileage I drive per year I would easily surpass the 36,000 miles standard deal. He worked up the following:

2015 Leaf SV with LED/Quickcharge Pkg.
36 months
20,000 miles per year
$1,000 down
Residual $11830.00
Monthly payment $479 + tax

This sounds insanely high to me. With payments that high, I would expect the residual to be much, much lower at the end of the lease.

I think you can purchase the car with that payment and have equity after 36 months.

479*36 = 17,244 + 1000 = 18244.

If you can purchase a leaf fo 28K(after 3500 NMAC cash) and get 7500 fed credit, you are basically buying the car for 21,500. If there is FL credit towards EV, then more benefit :)

Unfortunately no FL credit, and I don't pay enough in federal taxes to claim the full $7500.00 Its a shame they don't allow a carry over to the following year.

white335i said:
I think you can purchase the car with that payment and have equity after 36 months.

479*36 = 17,244 + 1000 = 18244.

If you can purchase a leaf fo 28K(after 3500 NMAC cash) and get 7500 fed credit, you are basically buying the car for 21,500. If there is FL credit towards EV, then more benefit :)

I picked up my 2015 SV with Quick Charge/LED package and the usual splash guards/floor mats last night.
I don't have the paperwork in front of me but this is ballpark (can post specifics later if there's interest):
A tad over $3,000 under MSRP. I might have been able to do better on a leftover 2014 but the residual would also have been lower so I don't think the Lease payment would have been dramatically lower.
I'm a returning Leaf lessee so there was an extra $1,000 tossed in. If you don't have that, add $28 to my lease rate quote to compare.
Zero down, 24 month lease, 15,000 miles per year, $295 per month.
To correlate, $1,000 would have dropped it to $255 per month.
Quotes for three-year leases were lower about $10 per month lower but I want to be able to move sooner to the rumored higher range Leaf when it comes out - thus the 24 month lease.
I probably could have gotten it a tad lower but the returns for energy expended wasn't worth it.
Residual was around $16,500.
That's in Washington State and there's no sales tax on Leafs.
So a 3-year, 15K mile lease on a SV with quick charge would have been $245 per month total, no "+ tax". A whopping $234 less per month than $479. Me thinks there's some negotiating room there.
Get e-mail quotes from every dealer in a Leaf driving range, bargain them against each other, do it towards the end of the month, and I think November is Nissan's worst sales month out of the calendar year. Saw a chart somewhere. October is usually a slow sales month also.
That said, if you are driving long distances to get to that 20K per year rate, a Leaf might not be the best car to lease for three years as you'll likely be charging to 100% and running the battery low and after 60K miles you might not have the range you need. A two-year lease will only have you at 40K miles on the battery pack and the higher range Leafs should be rolling out around then.

Good Morning Fred.

That sounds like a really good deal. I am looking in Seattle area as well. I do not yet have a leaf so I won't get the $1000. Would you be able to share details about the 3 years lease and the dealer?

Greatly appreciated!

Forgot to add... Younker has quoted me the following for 2015 SL pearl white with Premium package.

36 months 12000 miles per year
MSRP: $38,510.00
Cap Cost: $36,833.00 (Our Invoice Price)
Rebate: -$8,675.00
Total Add Cap Cost: $595.00 (Lease fee)
Adjusted Cap Cost: $28,753.00 (Total amount after rebates and the fees)
Lease End Value: $15,018.90 (Value of your Leaf at the end of the lease)
Lease Factor: 0.00003
License Fee: $218.25
Total Int. Fees: $159.00
Amount Due at Start: $760.06
Total Monthly Payment: $382.81

2015 Leaf SV with quick charge package, splash guards, floor mats, and destination MSRP: $34,850
($32,000 + 1,630 + 190 + 180 + 850)
Sale price $31,795 ($3,055 under MSRP, not sure what invoice was)
With Acquisition fee of $595 the Cap Cost was $32,390
Rebates and non-cash credits ($9,575)
The $9,575 resulted in a Cap Cost Reduction of $8,916.83 after the 1st month payment ($295.92), Registration fee ($209.25), doc fee ($150), and arbitration fee ($3) were subtracted.
Final Cap Cost was $23,473.17 with purchase at end of Lease term value (residual) of $16,728
Zero Down, Two-Year, 15,000 miles per year lease.
Monthly payment $295.92
One dealer after the fact said they would have gone $5 less per month than I what I ended up with and another said they would have beaten any written offer so there was still a widget of room left - maybe down to $3200 under MSRP. But getting there takes a lot of effort and waiting for the end of the month & bad weather etc etc.
The dealer I leased from was $12 per month cheaper for a three-year lease, everything else the same.
Yonkers was initially with the others but some salespeople are more used to handling e-mails than others and in the final stretch the responses weren't timely enough from Yonkers to be in the hunt. Eastside, Campbell's, and Magic were in the final hunt. Other dealers were also but not enough less to make the drive compelling.
October and November are usually the slowest sales months for Nissan from a chart I saw so they may be hungrier about now.

You're welcome. BTW, don't get the pre-paid scheduled maintenance. It's not worth it as Nissan pays for the first two annual battery checks. There's no cost savings as you the rest of the maintenance you can either do it yourself or get it done elsewhere cheaper.
Another reason I went with a two-year lease (besides planning on being able to get into the longer-range leaf sooner when it comes out in 2016/2017) is that I'd just miss having to replace the tires as they don't last long and I wouldn't have to pay for the third battery check among other reasons.

Fred, this info was priceless. I just test drove a 2015 today in Tacoma and have been getting a few internet quotes locally. I don't know enough about leasing to know a good deal, but I know a lot more now!

My suggestion is to negotiate the purchase price, not the monthly payment. A good monthly payment should be an outcome of a good purchase price. Also, don't do any negotiation at the dealership. And put as little down as possible when you do pull the trigger.

Good luck!

Negotiating purchase price is what I do when purchasing as dealers can finagle the financing to get a low monthly payment but high interest rates and long payment terms can result in little equity build-up. Even after the purchase price negotiation, there's usually a second round of negotiations when it comes to the fees. I've seen an astounding number of made up fees tacked onto a purchase price.

It saves time when comparing e-mail lease quotes between dealers and puts them all on the same level playing field as they have to include all fees in the monthly lease payment and Nissan sets the same money factor (interest rate) between dealers and I specify the lease term and how much I'll pay up front.

It gets to the same place but in this case takes less time and is simpler. Cash down plus 23 times the monthly payment and the disposition fee at the end is my cost to drive the car (Although the disposition fee seems to have disappeared when I leased a second Leaf). I don't have to worry about equity build up or if I run the risk of being upside down as I don't have any equity at all.

I agree in putting as little down when pulling the trigger as all that money does is reduce Nissan's risk, not yours. And it really doesn't make a difference in the total cost of leasing the car. If I wanted to, I could have put $6,785 down and had a monthly payment of zero but if beer truck hit the Leaf as I drove off the lot and totaled it that money is gone as it doesn't give me equity in anything, it's just pre-paying monthly costs. I learned that lesson in my first lease. Fortunately I didn't run into that situation.

Fred said:
Negotiating purchase price is what I do when purchasing as dealers can finagle the financing to get a low monthly payment but high interest rates and long payment terms can result in little equity build-up. Even after the purchase price negotiation, there's usually a second round of negotiations when it comes to the fees. I've seen an astounding number of made up fees tacked onto a purchase price.

It saves time when comparing e-mail lease quotes between dealers and puts them all on the same level playing field as they have to include all fees in the monthly lease payment and Nissan sets the same money factor (interest rate) between dealers and I specify the lease term and how much I'll pay up front.

It gets to the same place but in this case takes less time and is simpler. Cash down plus 23 times the monthly payment and the disposition fee at the end is my cost to drive the car

Agree completely. Great post Fred.

This is really the only way to compare "apples to apples" for the same model leased car, with the same mileage/term, within the same geographic area.

I know the concern about losing any down payment, if your leased Leaf is totaled... but I would add that it might be wise to add a nominal down payment - $250.00 or $500.00, if you have the means. This shows you are serious & committed financially for one. But it helps avoid the dealers moving the goal posts on you when you are receiving multiple quotes.

I read a lot of websites saying when leasing a car, I should negotiate the car purchase price not the down payment and monthly payment. But the fact is, if I have no intention of purchase the car at the end of the lease, why should I care how much the cost of the car is, as long as I’m comparing the cars with exact same options.

There are too many unknown fees and taxes, it’s too troublesome to compare and verify every fees when dealer type up official leasing agreement. Let’s say you negotiate the cars price that you like, you told the sales you want it. After he went through all the trouble creating the official leasing agreement and you realize the monthly payment is higher than you thought. Think about the pressure you will receive when you told him, no, that’s not what I want and walk away.

For me, comparing monthly leasing cost is simple and straight forward. I know exactly how much it will cost me throughout the leasing agreement before I say Yes, I want the car.

I have been calling around the Tacoma/Seattle area for the following lease: Leaf S with quickcharge, 15K miles, 36 months, $2000 down. I received this offer today: Sell price with fees $28,999, $2000 down, $8450 rebates and incentives, adjusted cap cost $19,697 (not sure where this number came from), residual $12,724, monthly payment $194.69. No tax on electrics in Washington state. This seems like a pretty damn good deal. Is there anything I'm missing? My cost after 3 years is $7,044 (plus the $2000 down). Seem good?

For me, comparing monthly leasing cost is simple and straight forward. I know exactly how much it will cost me throughout the leasing agreement before I say Yes, I want the car.

Yes, exactly. As long as you know the number of months in the lease, the upfront cost (and end of lease fees) and the payment, there are no surprises. It makes sense to worry about purchase price, money factor, residual etc *only if* you may buy the car eventually. Dealers love to try to outsmart you, and that's easier for them to do if you focus on one variable (purchase price) among many.

Bytor said:
I have been calling around the Tacoma/Seattle area for the following lease: Leaf S with quickcharge, 15K miles, 36 months, $2000 down. I received this offer today: Sell price with fees $28,999, $2000 down, $8450 rebates and incentives, adjusted cap cost $19,697 (not sure where this number came from), residual $12,724, monthly payment $194.69. No tax on electrics in Washington state. This seems like a pretty damn good deal. Is there anything I'm missing? My cost after 3 years is $7,044 (plus the $2000 down). Seem good?

I leased mine for $230 per month end of June 2014, 36 months, $0 down, all taxes included. same model but without charge package. 15k per year. I am in Houston Texas.

Bytor said:

Don't forget to factor in that WA will begin collecting sales tax on Electric Vehicle Purchases/Leases starting July 1, 2015. This means your monthly payment would increase next July.

Has anyone seen an opportunity to lease a 2015 SL for $249/mo or less? My 2013 lease is up in February 2015 and I'm thinking of just extending my lease if I can't beat the price with a new lease. Current lease was 24mo at $249/mo with only $960 down at signing and that included the first month's payment. I'm thinking this may be hard to beat. :(

Assuming this is the new 2015 leasing thread....

I am checking with 4 dealerships, 2 in Milwaukee and in Madison, including 2 that I leased from before.

One's in already at:
24 month lease, 12K per year
$331 "Out the door"
$331 23 remaining payments.

The car is a SV "Limited Avail". I don't see where it has any options added, so it's probable just a base model. This dealership only has one, and he said none were marked to be added in inventory. I'm guessing that they don't have much of an incentive to only have to move one of them before 2015.

I would think that as cold as WI gets and as inefficient that the Leaf is in the winter, that deals could be had. As 2015 creeps closer, they may 'discover' some more discounts? I now that was the case 2 years ago.

Back