Need Help Deciding Between Two Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjohnb

Hello all! I'm looking at two used models right now. The first model is a 2013 SV with no quick-charge port. The 2nd model is a fully-loaded 2012 SL with a quick charge port.

I know they made a lot of improvements with the battery on the 2013s, but would having the ability to quick charge on the 2012 offset any gains from the 2013's enhancements to the battery? The 2013 SV I'm looking at has the back-up camera, heated cloth seats and everything else it seems except the solar panel and quick charge. Both have about 12,000 miles.

Thank you!

Well - you don't say where you live and/or plan to drive. Are there any DCQC stations in your area that you expect could be used? Will you NEED this functionality in any case? If you don't have them in your area and/or don't expect to require them for your individual driving needs, then I'd consider that a bonus to have.

All other things being equal (or 'don't care') I'd be biased toward the 2013 model just to have a newer battery (age is a major factor in battery degrading). On that topic, I'd have a look (via leafSpy or other tool that can report battery condition) at both batteries to see how relatively strong each is. Likely this would influence my decision more than the QC port (unless, as stated above, this is a requirement for my travels). The miles driven won't tell the whole story WRT battery condition.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Des Moines, IA and I only drive on average about 25 miles a day; 40 miles in an extreme case. We have some regular stations near where I work and my house, but no quick-charge anywhere in the state. Tesla is planning to open one next year in town, but I was thinking of putting a DC or level 2 connection in the garage unless that's too cost-prohibitive. We have a 2nd car we use for road trips so the fast-charge option might not be worth it anyway, but having the higher-end SL might be a bonus. A newer battery is definitely a plus though. I will check out the tools you referenced.

There was a battery 'tweak' for 2013, but no real improvement. However, 2013 brought in the heat pump, which is significant help for the range in winter. Your commute is short enough that it may not be required, but it should help. Having turned off the heater in my 2011 last year to be able to make some drives, that is not fun! Mine didn't even have heated seats.....

How much are the used leafs? Have you done the math comparing to leasing new leafs? There are some awesome lease deals available. If not in your area than San Fran dealers can ship you a car. You can email different dealers and ask them what they are offering.
http://www.boardwalknissan.com/specials/new.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygTx said:
There was a battery 'tweak' for 2013, but no real improvement. However, 2013 brought in the heat pump, which is significant help for the range in winter. Your commute is short enough that it may not be required, but it should help. Having turned off the heater in my 2011 last year to be able to make some drives, that is not fun! Mine didn't even have heated seats.....

With the winter we had last year, I would take a shorter trip home if it meant I could have heaters running :)

I will say the QC was the surprise hidden for me that i love on my 2011 leaf. I debated so hard on not getting it and now I thank the stars I do. It was the most valuable thing I could have added. That also goes along that after I got the leaf DC stations sprung up all over the place - its very handy especially when you enjoy driving your leaf so much.

That said - I already had battery issues and had capacity problems (it was replaced though) and battery degradation is really crappy to live with. New battery (in age) and a slight tweek in chemistry is a huge boon. I would go with the newer battery.

Sounds like you have no current plans to use QC, so it is a no-brainer in favour of the 2013 in my judgement.

But you may have to think not only how you will use it now, but in future. If you are not planning to keep it after a couple of years, then you can think that over for the next one. But if you think you will keep for the car's lifetime, then you will have to factor in future changes to the way you might end up using it.

Doesn't the 2013 also have the 6kw charger? Between that and the heat pump (does it get cold in Iowa?) it seems like an obvious choice.

2011 & 2012 were built in Japan and is trouble free, the DCQC is a added plus. The 2013 & 2014 we built in Tenn and came out of that plant with lots of problems.

For that reason alone I would get the 2012, what are the price differences?

How many miles on each? And how hot does it get there in the Summer?

Fred

Our weather here runs the extremes every year (-20 to +110 some years). The 2013 sounds like the best choice, but now I'm wondering if I should wait another 2 years for the rumored 300KM range battery. :? It seems like the battery technology is improving each year so it's hard to decide when to jump-in; a lot like computers were back in the 90s I suppose.

Back