Insurance on 2015 Nissan leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafer123

Have you guys factored in the increased insurance premium when buying or leasing a Nissan Leaf? I was shocked to learn that the new leaf has a higher insurance than ICE. What has been your experience with insurance so far?

You have to shop around. Some companies charge an unreasonably high rate for the Leaf, while others don't. I ended up using Esurance. Not great service, but an acceptable price.

I am in Canada and my rate was cheaper then the 2004 Mazda 3 that the Leaf replaced. My insurance company even has a green car discount that was applied. We pay a lot more for insurance then you do in the US though. Like others have said shop around and see if you can get a better rate.

Without knowing what you are comparing it to when you say higher than an ICE it is hard to say. Are you comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges? I would logically think it would be more than a 92 Civic or some older vehicle.

Simultaneously with the leasing of our first LEAF I also shopped around for new home and auto insurance, as my old carrier's rates had suddenly skyrocketed. I found a lot of variance in rates among the higher quality insurance companies, but this was especially true for the LEAF. The difference between the lowest LEAF rate and the highest was a factor of 3. Some companies had particularly low LEAF rates.

So, shop around. There's a good chance you'll find a real bargain.

cgaydos said:
Simultaneously with the leasing of our first LEAF I also shopped around for new home and auto insurance, as my old carrier's rates had suddenly skyrocketed. I found a lot of variance in rates among the higher quality insurance companies, but this was especially true for the LEAF. The difference between the lowest LEAF rate and the highest was a factor of 3. Some companies had particularly low LEAF rates.

Hi
Do you mind sharing with us the results of your research on insurance companies? I have state farm and I understand that Farmer's Insurance gives a discount of 5 % for electric vehicles. I am not sure of discounts from others.
Thanks

leafer123 said:
cgaydos said:

Hi
Do you mind sharing with us the results of your research on insurance companies? I have state farm and I understand that Farmer's Insurance gives a discount of 5 % for electric vehicles. I am not sure of discounts from others.
Thanks

Shoot, that was almost 2 years ago and insurance rates vary greatly by locale and your personal situation. I believe that everyone has to perform this check themselves, and probably it's time for me to do it again. However, from memory: Liberty Mutual rates were high overall, including for the LEAF (which is why I left them), Farmers was surprisingly low for the LEAF, and State Farm was in the middle. I checked out 3 others (limiting my search to those with in-town offices) but can't remember the details. I ended up with State Farm because the total bill for all home/auto was the lowest. I remember two of the others had really low rates for the LEAF but overall rates were higher.

MikeinDenver said:
Without knowing what you are comparing it to when you say higher than an ICE it is hard to say. Are you comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges? I would logically think it would be more than a 92 Civic or some older vehicle.

We moved my housemate's 2013 Prius PHEV from Amica because they refused to offer a lower rate for two people in one household, insuring two similar cars. We ended up with Esurance as I wrote earlier, because their rates were about the same each for both cars (hers and my 2013 Leaf SV), and definitely lower than Amica's. If you are in a domestic partnership of any sort, at least price Esurance. Just be warned that they will probably offer a slightly lower rate than they actually deliver.

Back