Variability in VPP lease quotes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphinx

I'm confused about one thing. I thought VPP was supposed to be a fixed price for all. However, I'm getting upto $20 month difference from different dealers. What is your experience on this issue?

Second question is whether it makes a difference to buy at the beginning or the end of the incentive period for a VPP customer. I'm ready to buy now. But as a VPP customer, can pricing change (due to dealer flexibility) by the time the current promotion ends (assuming no changes on the Nissan corporate side)?

TIA

I was wondering that too. When we needed to replace our 2013 LEAF with the same model, we had VPP quotes ranging from $260/mo to $400/mo with 1st month at signing. Thats a huge difference for whats supposed to be consistent pricing.

lstefani said:
where you located and what are you looking for?

Hi Leo, i'm Atlanta. Should that matter whether there's variability or not? Both dealers are in the same state.

The VPP site (as I recall) lists the prices as "examples" and leaves it up to the dealers to set the prices. They push the "no haggle" side of things on the presumption that whatever additional incentive the dealer gets for honoring these prices will be sufficient to make you happy...

However, I'm sure the dealers have the right/ability to discount further. Lease terms can vary considerably (make sure you are reading close) which could affect the net monthly lease cost even if the actual 'sales price' doesn't change a whole lot.

Bottom line? I would say you still need to be an informed buyer and shop around. VPP may help get you a boost in the right direction, but I know that you can do better than the initial/stock offer in many cases (not just for the Leaf but any car). All depends on how much the dealer wants to close the deal (gee, no surprise there eh?). I know that the final price of my car was quite a bit less than the initial VPP offer I received.

VPP is a discount, not really a pricing plan. Given that dealers will generally try to take your money to the fullest extent possible (as with trade-ins, where they try to get the vehicle being traded for as close to free as possible) it isn't surprising that they do it with VPP as well. How to deal with this? The same way as with a trade-in. Negotiate a price *before* you let them know you qualify for VPP, not after. The problem here is they can often determine in advance if you qualify just by knowing your name and/or VIN, so try for a quote from them before they even know who you are...

Back