Lease a 2015 S w/QC or buy 2011 SL w/low mileage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansonberger

We're in the Pacific NW looking for our first LEAF. A dealer is offering a lease on a 2015 S with QC package for $289 at 24 months, $0 down, 12,000 miles with a really low MF. MSRP $32,100. Initial cap cost is $29,250. 36 months, $0 down would cost $269 a month.

One of us thinks we should just buy used. There's a 2011 SL w/ 13,500 miles w/ QC advertised for $16,500 (which I think is too high) with a "fully chargeable" battery. The other of us thinks leasing is the way to go because of potential improvements in technology. Plus, the lease terms seem good.

Any thoughts on settling this debate? We'd be using the LEAF mostly for in-town trips, shuttling kids around, not long highway journeys.

Any time you are thinking about buying a used Leaf, you want to know the following:

1) In what climate did it spend most of its life (hot is bad, cool/cold is good)?
2) What is the remaining battery capacity (see link in my signature for a cheap way to find out)?

Price sounds a bit on the high side for a Leaf that old, as battery capacity loss is largely dependent on time, with mileage generally less important unless mileage is excessive (see other link in my signature for info on battery capacity loss.

The 2015 Leaf comes with the so called "Lizard" battery which is supposed to have slower capacity loss in hot conditions. Sounds like that wouldn't be very important for a short lease in a cool part of the country. What part of the PNW do you live in?

I would agree with leaning towards leasing. The technology is rapidly improving. Lease rates can be good. You might be able to do better than that at the end of the month. The 2013 and up LEAF has many many changes, many are very subtle. Battery degradation can be devastating on a 2011. You MUST check the battery state using LeafSpy or LeafStat before you seriously consider it. Used LEAF prices are usually too high because folks don't realize how quickly the battery can degrade particularly in warm climates.

Back