tax credit gone for Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbox409

I have searched but didn't find any information on the $7500 tax credit. Is it still apply to Leaf? There is also news about they are increasing the tax credit from $7500 to $10000 but that was in May 2014.

mwalsh said:
Not until Nissan sells 200,000 EVs in the US, and then it's only set to "phase out", whatever the heck that means.

The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xbox409 said:
I have searched but didn't find any information on the $7500 tax credit. Is it still apply to Leaf? There is also news about they are increasing the tax credit from $7500 to $10000 but that was in May 2014.
yes the $7500 tax credit is still available and I haven't heard a thing about any changes to the program

mwalsh said:
Not until Nissan sells 200,000 EVs in the US, and then it's only set to "phase out", whatever the heck that means.

phase out reduces credit by half per quarter.

so first quarter after 200,000 are sold, credit is half. 2nd quarter credit is ¼, after that Nada

DaveinOlyWA said:
mwalsh said:

phase out reduces credit by half per quarter.

so first quarter after 200,000 are sold, credit is half. 2nd quarter credit is ¼, after that Nada

Not exactly.

In the first quarter after 200k are sold, full credit. Then half credit for two quarters, then quarter credit for two more quarters.

IRS:

The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.
I've added bolding to the above.

I talked to Nissan dealer just last week, they still mention $7500 tax credit. I assume still has it.
BTW, they told me $7500 is max Tax credit. Meaning depends on individual tax situation.
Some case may not get full $7500?

tree1 said:
I talked to Nissan dealer just last week, they still mention $7500 tax credit. I assume still has it.
BTW, they told me $7500 is max Tax credit. Meaning depends on individual tax situation.
Some case may not get full $7500?

If you lease your tax situation doesn't matter for federal taxes. Any state tax credit may vary. If you purchase then yes you could lose out on the max federal credit if you do not pay enough to recoup the whole $7500 along with what would have been your normal refund.

After reading the details, it looks like you get $2,500 dollars for buying a qualified vehicle, then $417 dollars for every 5 kWh. So the Leaf boasts 24 kWh, which puts the credit at $1,164 + the $2,500.

Unless I'm reading this wrong... http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-(IRC-30-and-IRC-30D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. The total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500.

But IRS is still saying $7,500. http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/30D-New-Qualified-Plug-in-Electric-Drive-Motor-Vehicles-Nissan-North-America" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's the total sales numbers. http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/IRC-30D-Plug-In-Electric-Drive-Motor-Vehicle-Credit-Quarterly-Sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~serf

Serf said:
After reading the details, it looks like you get $2,500 dollars for buying a qualified vehicle, then $417 dollars for every 5 kWh. So the Leaf boasts 24 kWh, which puts the credit at $1,164 + the $2,500.

Unless I'm reading this wrong... http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-(IRC-30-and-IRC-30D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. The total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500.

(24kWh - 5kWh ) * $417

Back