Leasing and window tinting?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be leasing a Leaf hopefully this weekend and didn't really find anything in the archives about leasing and window tinting..

Have any of you that leased your Leaf tinted your windows and returned it at the end of the lease with the tint still on? If you did, did the dealer ding you for the tint? I've always tinted at least the rear sides and back windows but I've never leased so curious about this scenario

thanks!

I have leased other cars in the past and the dealer never had a problem when I returned it with tinted windows.

Which reminds me...maybe I should get my Leaf tinted. I had a go-to guy in LA but now that I'm up in Seattle, anyone know a good place for window tinting up here?

Just make sure the the tint is legal in the state where you will return the car. Lots of shops will apply more tint than is legally allowed, as will many DIYers.

Nissan's Wear and Use Guide specifically mentions that Window Tint that is "poorly applied/peeling" is considered chargeable at lease-end. That implies that if the tint was well installed, it shouldn't be chargeable.

BTW anybody who leases through NMAC should read the Wear and Use Guide, as that is what you car will be judged against at lease-end unless it is a total loss or you (or someone else, or a dealer) buys it for the Residual: https://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/owning/Wear_and_Use_Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

funkadelic said:
Will be leasing a Leaf hopefully this weekend and didn't really find anything in the archives about leasing and window tinting..

Have any of you that leased your Leaf tinted your windows and returned it at the end of the lease with the tint still on? If you did, did the dealer ding you for the tint? I've always tinted at least the rear sides and back windows but I've never leased so curious about this scenario

thanks!

fwiw, a few months later:

I leased and have 1.5 more years to go on my lease. I don't know if they will ding me, but I paid out of pocket to have tint applied, and made sure it was a good job. This is in a hotter climate than in SF Bay area, so around here it's close to being a clear need and not just a want. I was happy with the decision. To be honest, since it did turn out to be a good job, I almost feel as though the dealer should "negative ding" me ... i.e. give me a slight bit of credit for adding to the value of the car, although I wouldn't ever expect that to happen (and I've never leased before, so I assume I'll learn a bit when I turn it in).

The advice you received to make sure it is a good job seemed like good advice and the Nissan Wear and Use guide quotation seemed like a reasonable stance on Nissan's part. I've bought a used car before with poorly applied tint that absolutely had to be removed (for one thing, I couldn't see properly out of the rear window, so it becomes a direct safety issue). If I returned my car with poorly applied tint, I would not blame Nissan at all if they dinged me for this.

Easy, if the issue regarding window tint is raised during the pre lease return inspection, just have the tint removed. Most shops can do the removal for $50 or less. It simply involves a razor blade, some careful cutting, and PEEL!

ucbsupafly said:
Easy, if the issue regarding window tint is raised during the pre lease return inspection, just have the tint removed. Most shops can do the removal for $50 or less. It simply involves a razor blade, some careful cutting, and PEEL!

This seems reasonable.

Mulling this over, a very high percent of Leaf drivers are lessees. Installing and then maybe or maybe not removing tinting adds about $100-$300 to the total cost of leasing for the 39 months, costs some time, and may deny the next driver a decent tinting job. For those who don't tint, it may also slightly reduce energy efficiency and vehicle comfort in a hot summer.

It's a minor thing, but I wonder if Nissan has looked at addressing this (or maybe already has?) in a more proactive way, such as in the hotter climates laying out for dealers a path for offering tinting for a reasonable price as a modest-priced value-add at the time of the lease, and maybe viewing this as a slight improvement in the overall ownership experience, saving the driver the time of getting the job done, the time of having the tint removed if needed, and making sure that over the 39 months (or whatever) they drive in better comfort during the summer, if they want. Probably there are one or more things I don't understand about the process.

I discussed this with the salesperson during the process and was told it is allowed, just get it done at a reputable place and adhere to the local tint laws.

Mine will be put on week from Saturday, I think the White Leaf will look sharp with some tint and will give me the privacy while keeping the cabin cooler.

To me, feels just odd not having tint...stop lookin at me people, I'm not a gold-fish :)

Cheers

RVD said:
I have leased other cars in the past and the dealer never had a problem when I returned it with tinted windows.

Which reminds me...maybe I should get my Leaf tinted. I had a go-to guy in LA but now that I'm up in Seattle, anyone know a good place for window tinting up here?

Who was your go-to guy in LA? Looking to tint the rear windows of my Leaf and all my other cars came 'pre-tinted' so have no guy. :)

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

Got Huper Optik 40% tint installed, it measured 35%. Here is the Flickr set...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/_nitin_/sets/72157646119560012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PM me if you want the installer's info.

Cheers

Back