It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I lease a Leaf?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 am 

Hi Guys,

For the past few months I’ve been debating on which car to purchase and the Leaf has really sparked my interest, but because it’s so new, I’m not sure if it is the right fit for me.

Current ride: G35 coupe
Work commute: 50-55 miles RT with lots of traffic (about 8 miles city – the rest fwy) (traffic varies, but for the most part I’m stuck in traffic) (5 South)

My workplace recently installed charging 220V charging stations that I could use and that made me contemplate leasing a Leaf. A few of my friends are iffy due to the small range the car has. They worry I’ll be stranded on the freeway or something.

As leaf owners, can you give me your honest opinion of whether I should lease an EV or not.

Thanks in advanced!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:06 pm 
Forum Supporter

Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8765
If you are planning to keep your ICE vehicle and can limit your annual LEAF miles to 15,000, lease for 36 months. Less than 36 will not qualify for the CA $2500 rebate. The 55 mile round trip is being done by many, but the availability of 240V charging at your work makes range a minor issue during the lease period. Leasing gives you the Fed $7500 credit immediately and removes any questions about how much you may qualify for, come April 15th.

PV: 6.9kW(DC), ~13,100 kWh 2013, installed 3/2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm 

Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 0870
You are a perfect candidate for this car with your RT mileage. Take advantage of charging at work for free, lease the vehicle for 36 months to get your potential $7500 tax deduction max, Ca $2500 rebate. After 36 months, give it back and new Leaf or other options will be available with longer range and more efficient batteries.

Let us know the outcome and good luck,

Ian B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 pm 

Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013
VinhFTW wrote:
Hi Guys,

As leaf owners, can you give me your honest opinion of whether I should lease an EV or not.

Thanks in advanced!

while you should be able to make your commute without needing a recharge having the ability to recharge during the day would allow you to do things during work or after work.
so as long as you are certain about your ability to recharge, I would say go for it

WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:37 pm 

Delivery Date: 25 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 022029
Range should be little or no concern. I do the same RT daily with little or no freeway traffic (59 mph) and no charging option at work and have not been stranded or even close.

If the L2 charging at work is truly free, top it off each day whilst at work and then only charge to 80% at home.

If you have access to an ICE for trips beyond range, perfect setup.

Enjoy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:06 pm 

Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
To the OP: Are you in Orange County? If so I'd recommend going to Frank Consoli over at Tustin Nissan. Other highly recommended dealers include Connell in Costa Mesa, and if you are willing to go a long way, Fontana Nissan who has a salesperson actively involved in this forum.

As long as you can keep your miles down as already mentioned, your situation would work fine with a Leaf, and the gas and maintenance savings from not having to drive the Infiniti to/from work would likely pay for most if not all of your lease payment. The ability to charge at work removes your range anxiety, and if for some reason that does not work, (assuming your commute is between South O.C. and LA) there are several public charging stations along the way including Quick Chargers at Tustin Nissan, Connell Nissan, Cerritos Nissan, and Mitsubishi's HQ in Cypress.

Speaking of Quick Charger, make sure what whatever Leaf you get has the Charge Package, which includes the faster on-board charger and a Quick Charge port. This package is optional on the S and SV, and standard on the SL.

HighDesertDriver wrote:
If you are planning to keep your ICE vehicle and can limit your annual LEAF miles to 15,000, lease for 36 months. Less than 36 will not qualify for the CA $2500 rebate. The 55 mile round trip is being done by many, but the availability of 240V charging at your work makes range a minor issue during the lease period. Leasing gives you the Fed $7500 credit immediately and removes any questions about how much you may qualify for, come April 15th.

Balance that with a couple of things though:

1. Many people, especially here in California, have managed to get superior (in terms of cents/mile) lease deals with 24 month leases rather than 36 month ones, even when you factor in the CVRP rebate.

2. The CVRP is currently out of cash, and when it does get funded there is currently a waiting list of about $10 million worth of rebates.

Whichever lease term you go with, you'll be eligible to get those white HOV exemption stickers (and there is no wait for those beyond processing time), and that will be golden when commuting to/from the O.C. The Friday evening I took my Leaf home from Tustin, I crawled northbound on I-5 at something like 20 MPH.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm 

Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
55 miles round trip in traffic, charging at work... you are golden.
Just don't get any ideas about a LEAF - Las Vegas run.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 pm 

Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 018767
Ditto to everything said so far, except that I wouldn't worry about driving over 15k miles per year. My commute is 60 miles/day, or right at 15k per year. What has happened, though, is that the Leaf has become our go-to car nights and weekends. Extra miles on my lease cost 15 cents, but the fuel is 9 cents/mile cheaper than driving my wifes' KIA, giving an effective cost of 6 cents/mile. When I give back the car I will have about 10k extra miles on it, which I will pay for gladly. As a bonus, I will get my moneys worth for the set of tires that I am going to have to buy anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:22 pm 

garymelora wrote:
Ditto to everything said so far, except that I wouldn't worry about driving over 15k miles per year. My commute is 60 miles/day, or right at 15k per year. What has happened, though, is that the Leaf has become our go-to car nights and weekends. Extra miles on my lease cost 15 cents, but the fuel is 9 cents/mile cheaper than driving my wifes' KIA, giving an effective cost of 6 cents/mile. When I give back the car I will have about 10k extra miles on it, which I will pay for gladly. As a bonus, I will get my moneys worth for the set of tires that I am going to have to buy anyway.

OTOH, if the OP can get an 18 or 20k/yr lease for less than however many extra miles they're likely to put on the car, it might be a good idea. Depends how far over the OP is likely to go. Assuming 48 weeks a year of commuting (allowing for vacation, holidays and/or sick days; OP can adjust as necessary), 50 miles/day x 5 days/week is 250/week x 48 weeks = 12,000 miles/yr. 55 miles/day = 13,200 miles/yr. Certainly, it wouldn't pay to get _less than_ a 15k lease.

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do YOU do, Sir?" J.M. Keynes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:45 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies, it's really made me feel a lot better about the decision I want to make. My commute is from Anaheim/Buena Park to near Irvine Spectrum. During weekdays I don't really drive anywhere else besides work and occasionally on weekends (which I'm sure might change once I get a leaf), but I don't think I would have any problem exceeding 12k/15k miles. Worst comes to worst, I can always borrow my mom's car who isn't working at the moment.

I do plan on selling my G35 and possibly get a cheaper secondary car that I would split with my brother. Even if I do not, I have other options, such as local friends my girlfriend, or as I mentioned earlier, my mom.

If I ever do a vegas run, it'll probably be with a friend's car or a rental (I only took my G to vegas once and it was terribly uncomfortable).

As far as leasing, I don't really understand the CVRP, but according to Rondawg, I shouldn't have to worry about it anyway. I don't exactly know which model Leaf I would get, but I"m thinking the S because I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles that the other cars have.

What would be a good lease term to get (let's say) a Leaf S with the charge package?
-I would prefer 24mo unless 36mo would be more beneficial for me

Last edited by VinhFTW on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.