October 2012 Leaf Deals

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekbaazigar

I started looking to buy a LEAF couple of weeks back. I came across the following lease deal on nissanusa and bunch of other dealers. Can you experts tell me if its a fair/good deal ? I am ok with a 24 month or 36 month lease. I am not familiar with leasing financial (i understand the concept). 1 thing that i am not clear about is it normal (as in common sense) to negotiate the lease start price or it is fixed that dealer goes by MSRP ? In other words do we have to haggle the lease terms (start price, end price etc.) like how we haggle usually when we buy outright ?

I am in bay area, ca. I understand the dealer/nissan gets the 7500 federal credit, but who gets the 2500 CA state credit ? i see some posts where buyers are showing 2500 received in their calculation.

also what does "A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term" mean ? and what constitutes "excess wear and tear" ? does it mean over the mileage ?

Please help!!

The deal
---------

2012 LEAF SV Lease
36 Months - $199/Month - $1,999 initial payment.
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,800 consumer down payment, $199 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $9,425 manufacturer's rebate applied to $199 MONTH lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restriction. Varies by Nissan Region.

2012 LEAF SV Lease model 17112 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan-Infiniti LT. $36,050 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $24,427 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $7,164 At lease end, purchase for $17,304, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 10/31/2012.

Pretty much all of the haggling happens on the car's price just as it does with a purchase. The rates and residual are usually fixed, although some dealers will try to cheat you on the lease rate. The $2500 CA rebate comes to you as a check from CCSE. They are the folks you apply to for the rebate. 24 month leases do not qualify for the rebate. You want a 36 month lease.

"excess wear and tear" is defined in the fine print in the lease (usually the back of the paperwork), and includes such details as how much minimum treadwear remaining is required (or you would be responsible for new tires). I believe all the LEAF leases (in the US) would have the same language, but I am too lazy to look it up for you ;) Get a blank Lease Form from the dealer and read carefully. And, yes, excess mileage beyond what you purchased is charged at $0.15/mile. You can opt to "pre-purchase" 12k or 15k miles per year for the lease terms you negotiate.

Edit: additional question you had: "disposition fee" is just some money they "need" to charge you if/when you turn the car back in (costs them money to take it back and get ready for sale/re-lease). I don't think you owe this if you buy it out.

As you are in the bay area, you should know that only the SL model is eligible for the free Blink L2 charger from ecototality. SV is not eligible.
If that's important to you, then you should get the SL.

Just saw a Colorado person get a 24 mo lease with no down, taxes inc, for $230 a month plus dealer gave back a huge chunk of cash making the actual monthly $155! Unreal.

thedak said:
First Post

I pick up my 2012 SL next week.

24mo - $199 a month - 2K total down outta my pocket

I am very happy with that.

Dealership?
I consider leasing a second Leaf, but the dealers in Portland area do not offer such deals. I would gladly drive a Leaf from CA if I can get a good deal.

0% down, $299 monthly lease.
Torre Nissan - La Quinta, CA (near Palm Springs) as of 10-11-12 they have 8 or 10 Leafs in a complete selection of colors, advertised Lease 0% down/$299 month on an attractive lease. Picked up mine September 5. They were also liberal with trade in allowance, making my lease even less. Great guys to deal with.

camasleaf said:
thedak said:
First Post

I pick up my 2012 SL next week.

24mo - $199 a month - 2K total down outta my pocket

I am very happy with that.

Dealership?

I consider leasing a second Leaf, but the dealers in Portland area do not offer such deals. I would gladly drive a Leaf from CA if I can get a good deal.

Sheehy Nissan

Springfield, VA

ekbaazigar said:
I started looking to buy a LEAF couple of weeks back. I came across the following lease deal on nissanusa and bunch of other dealers. Can you experts tell me if its a fair/good deal ? I am ok with a 24 month or 36 month lease. I am not familiar with leasing financial (i understand the concept). 1 thing that i am not clear about is it normal (as in common sense) to negotiate the lease start price or it is fixed that dealer goes by MSRP ? In other words do we have to haggle the lease terms (start price, end price etc.) like how we haggle usually when we buy outright ?

I am in bay area, ca. I understand the dealer/nissan gets the 7500 federal credit, but who gets the 2500 CA state credit ? i see some posts where buyers are showing 2500 received in their calculation.

also what does "A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term" mean ? and what constitutes "excess wear and tear" ? does it mean over the mileage ?

Please help!!

The deal
---------

2012 LEAF SV Lease
36 Months - $199/Month - $1,999 initial payment.
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,800 consumer down payment, $199 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $9,425 manufacturer's rebate applied to $199 MONTH lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restriction. Varies by Nissan Region.

2012 LEAF SV Lease model 17112 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan-Infiniti LT. $36,050 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $24,427 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $7,164 At lease end, purchase for $17,304, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 10/31/2012.
I am in Bay Area, too.

1. Try to think about SL model. It come with backup camera which is every useful. Also it has fast charge port just in case you need it. I found two fast charge stations in Bay area - Stanford Shopping center and the other one close to Foster city. Since you are in Bay Area, SL model also make you qualified for free L2 Blink charger and $400 installation rebate.

2. The Nissan dealer in Fremont offer lease on SL at SV price. You might want to check it out. The deal I got 3 days ago is a lot better than the one you post.

3. Call PG&E to change you rate plan from E1 to E9A after you get Leaf.

4. CA rebate $2500 is cash! They just mail check to you and you can deposit to your bank account. It is not tax credit. Also it does not matter you ever pay tax to CA or not. It is just plain cash rebate. After you get the Leaf, go to their website and summit rebate form.

It's too bad the SL has no lease options. Only the SV has a lease deal.

Carsdirect.com shows the Sl for $32k and the SV for $30k. Anyone know if its possible to get the car for that amount and get the $7500 credit on top of that?

For some reason today on impulse I leased a Leaf - still a little confused as to how I could have done that.

I got a 2 year with zero down, 23 payments of $275.99, and it's a 2012 silvery-looking SL - I guess I did ok based on what's posted here. Seemed like it would be convenient as I basically get reserved parking at work since no one has a EV and there are three EV spots.

I guess I should read up and see what I've gotten myself into.

EDIT: Oh in Bellevue, WA, btw, and no sales tax because EV's are exempt in this state

And meanwhile, up here in Canada, we are still looking at about $700/month for a 3 year lease with $8,500 down (the Ontario provincial rebate) I am pissed off, rant over

I did it. We are now a two Leaf household. We leased a red 2012 Leaf SL for $250, zero down, 12000 miles 23 payments. I will have my own Leaf now :D . I will need to get rid of at least one of the two old ICEs, I am working on it :) .

camasleaf said:
I did it. We are now a two Leaf household. We leased a red 2012 Leaf SL for $250, zero down, 12000 miles 23 payments. I will have my own Leaf now :D . I will need to get rid of at least one of the two old ICEs, I am working on it :) .

I wonder what percentage of repeat business they have? Certainly some of that is for reasons that aren't so good (selling to get a lease because of battery fears), but there are a remarkable number of 2 LEAF households (I was for 2 months).

ocean said:
2. The Nissan dealer in Fremont offer lease on SL at SV price. You might want to check it out. The deal I got 3 days ago is a lot better than the one you post.
I can't speak for most Bay Area MNLers but I have not heard good things about Premier Nissan of San Jose from two different people who don't know each other.

With one of them, they tried to pull a bait and switch on him. He tried to deal w/the Fremont one and ended not bothering or bailing on them since they seem to be run by the same company/owner. He ended up giving up on buying an Altima Hybrid and bought an Accord instead.

My parents and I had a bad experience at where San Jose's Premier Nissan is now (not sure if they were called Premier back then) when trying to by an Altima Hybrid in early 08. They ended up buying from somewhere else. They were very friendly at first but then we got very poor treatment after a test drive.

Just be careful w/them. If someone does buy/lease from them, I'd be curious to hear if they also got bad treatment, got bait and switched, etc.

cwerdna said:
ocean said:
I can't speak for most Bay Area MNLers but I have not heard good things about Premier Nissan of San Jose from two different people who don't know each other.

With one of them, they tried to pull a bait and switch on him. He tried to deal w/the Fremont one and ended not bothering or bailing on them since they seem to be run by the same company/owner. He ended up giving up on buying an Altima Hybrid and bought an Accord instead.

My parents and I had a bad experience at where San Jose's Premier Nissan is now (not sure if they were called Premier back then) when trying to by an Altima Hybrid in early 08. They ended up buying from somewhere else. They were very friendly at first but then we got very poor treatment after a test drive.

Just be careful w/them. If someone does buy/lease from them, I'd be curious to hear if they also got bad treatment, got bait and switched, etc.
After I contacted all South Bay Nissan dealers, I don't like all of them. But, who cares, I got my sweet deal in less a day. Being leasing cars over and over for many years, I am kind of getting used on how 'they' work. Yes, they play all kind of tricks on you. However, in the same time, you are able to do some back. Making friends is not an option here. My 2 cents? Show them you really want to get the car TODAY! If not, they will never give you bottom price because they are also afraid of the price matching game going on and on. Never go to dealership unless all numbers are clarified. San Jose's Premier Nissan did not give me good price this time, so they lost my bushiness. Sunnyvale Nissan asked me called back once I got lowest quote. They match 2 quotes from others dealer at first. Until Fremont's quote show up, they stopped answering my phone. I knew it is probably the rock bottom price. Done!

^^^
Ok, going back over my emails w/my friend and from what I recall, what looks had happened to me friend is that he dealt w/Premier Nissan of Fremont first. He wanted a base Altima Hybrid. He put down a deposit and it looked like they were going to do a dealer trade but flaked and tried to push him a fully loaded one.

He said he tried to deal w/Premier Nissan in San Jose and they were even worse to deal with. Then he found out they were part of the same "family".

As for our experiences, from what I recall, we'd gone to Nissan on Capitol Expressway (unsure if they were called Premier yet). They seemed friendly and all. After the test drive, when I pulled out some papers w/numbers from Edmunds (TMV, invoice, MSRP, etc.) they got extremely hostile, didn't want to talk to us and essentially told us to leave. :shock:

My parents ended up buying their Altima Hybrid from the former Falore Nissan in Sunnyvale (now Sunnyvale Nissan). They were ok. I wouldn't say they were awesome but they weren't terrible either. My parents were satisfied w/the price.

When I checked long ago, their service dept (at least under Falore) had a good rep in the Bay Area though (folks on my350z.com liked them). I used to take my Z there for warranty work and maintenance. My mom sometimes goes there for service (under the new name) and seems to like them too. I think the service advisor I used to work w/is still there. Even though Sunnyvale Nissan is WAY far for my mom vs. Premier of San Jose, she likes the former's maintenance pricing a lot better.

Back