Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atlantic City Electric has a deal that expires 1/2/19 on 2018 and 2019 Leafs. $5K rebate that can not be combined with other Nissan incentives. https://www.atlanticcityelectric.com/SmartEnergy/InnovationAndTechnology/Documents/Q3%20Fleetail%20Onepager_ACE.PDF Here in NJ there is no state credit, but there is no sales tax on electric vehicles.

Picked up a new Leaf SV w/ the Tech and All Weather packages (MSRP $36,675) for $28,000 out the door on Saturday, Dec 22 using this deal. After the Federal tax credit that's a net cost of $20,500. Quite satisfied with

I had used a similar deal last year with $10K off to purchase a 2017 SV for a net $16,500. Car was recently totaled in a head-on/broadside and the insurance payout was $18,500. So for $2K I basically jumped 2 model years, reset the odometer to zero, gained all that tech package stuff, 50% greater range, power seat etc. etc. Very happy, indeed!

FrugalNJ said:
Picked up a new Leaf SV w/ the Tech and All Weather packages (MSRP $36,675) for $28,000 out the door on Saturday, Dec 22 using this deal. After the Federal tax credit that's a net cost of $20,500.
That’s amazing! Congratulations and enjoy!

2018 SV Deep Blue: All Weather + Tech (Propilot)
Durham, NC
Initial OTD was $32K after 3 pct tax (about $970) and other random fees.
Ending OTD: $31.5K
Instead of using Duke Energy $3K rebate, they gave me these discounts off the MSRP $36.6K:
$3,000 (estimated) retail price discount
$1,000 NMAC captive cash financing rebate
$2,000 VPP discount
$1,000 Leaf loyalty discount (even though I bought mine used)
Price before taxes and fees: $29.6K.
Plus the 0 pct financing for 5 years (FREE MONEY!)
Pretty decent deal I think. Will be claiming the full $7500 credit soon. 2013 SL still in possession as backup third car until decent private party or dealer offer.

Not that I'm interested in buying a 40 kWh Leaf, but just trying to get an idea of current discounting (for purchases, not leases) in the SF Bay Area to help w/e+ price guesstimates, when that comes out. Trying to decide if I should wait for e+ (likely won't be discounted when it comes out) or just go for a heavily discounted Bolt before tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs gets cut in 1/2 on April 1st.

Right now at https://www.choosenissan.com/leaf/?next=cn.dsp.featuredoffers.dropdownlist_leaf.vsp_featuredoffers (I put in the 95136 zip code, not mine close enough) and there seem to be 0 cash incentives available to the general public. I can't do grad nor military cash. The "$1012" is what they value NCTC at.

I looked at https://www.dublinnissan.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Nissan&model=LEAF&year=2019&trim=SL%20Hatchback&sort=salePrice%7Casc and it seem like they're openly advertising about $1500 off MSRP on SL. Some at https://www.boardwalknissan.com/new-vehicles?make=Nissan&model=Leaf&trim=SL are about $2K off MSRP.

There was https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20180424_pge_customers_eligible_to_save_3000_on_a_new_nissan_leaf_electric_vehicle on '18 Leafs but it expired 1/2/19. Not sure it's been renewed and can apply to '19.

I strongly suggest that if you haven't test driven a Bolt yet, that you do so before proceeding any further. It's a different enough driving experience from the Leaf that it may settle the matter for you one way or the other. You should also test drive a Leaf "Too."

LeftieBiker said:
I strongly suggest that if you haven't test driven a Bolt yet, that you do so before proceeding any further. It's a different enough driving experience from the Leaf that it may settle the matter for you one way or the other. You should also test drive a Leaf "Too."
Prior to Saturday, I'd test driven the Bolt at least twice but I wasn't in the market back then. I did two more on Saturday, including highway driving in one. Seats were ok to me. Interior quality isn't great, but I knew that. I'd ridden in the back of one (Lyft or Uber) for ~1 hour coming back from a work event.

Acceleration is great. I didn't have time to play around w/the UI too much but I'm not too concerned. The backup camera picture quality is terrible though. I don't think Surround Vision has the neat view of the right side of the car (to see how close you are to the curb). It also may be inconvenient (more steps) to turn on Surround Vision when in drive/going forward.

Some weird deficiencies: it seems the Bolt has is that it doesn't have a % SoC display, just 20 (?) bars on the left and a 3 value GOM. Also, there's apparently no battery temp display at all. At least I saw it at power down (on the big screen) say how many kWh were used and distanced traveled. And, there's screen at http://www.wind-works.org/cms/index.php?id=84&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5149&cHash=7fa51de0b5cd9ac37f041303b311291f (see last pic).

I've test driven the '18 Leaf prior to when it went on sale in the US for about 35-40 minutes, when they brought one to you.

There are '17 2 Bolts for rent on Turo in my area, but it's a bit inconvenient and I'd need to bring it back charged to at least 80% (might be a problem if the car has no DC FC inlet). Unfortunately, '18 is when GM supposedly improved the seats. Also, I'd want to do the handovers in the daytime. A co-worker rented a Model 3 (before buying one) but the owner later tried to claim all this damage that my coworker denied. Eventually, after all the hassle, Turo ruled in favor on my co-worker.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
Prior to Saturday, I'd test driven the Bolt at least twice but I wasn't in the market back then. I did two more on Saturday, including highway driving in one. Seats were ok to me. Interior quality isn't great, but I knew that. I'd ridden in the back of one (Lyft or Uber) for ~1 hour coming back from a work event.

Acceleration is great. I didn't have time to play around w/the UI too much but I'm not too concerned. The backup camera picture quality is terrible though. I don't think Surround Vision has the neat view of the right side of the car (to see how close you are to the curb). It also may be inconvenient (more steps) to turn on Surround Vision when in drive/going forward.

Some weird deficiencies: it seems the Bolt has is that it doesn't have a % SoC display, just 20 (?) bars on the left and a 3 value GOM. Also, there's apparently no battery temp display at all. At least I saw it at power down (on the big screen) say how many kWh were used and distanced traveled. And, there's screen at http://www.wind-works.org/cms/index.php?id=84&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5149&cHash=7fa51de0b5cd9ac37f041303b311291f (see last pic).

I've test driven the '18 Leaf prior to when it went on sale in the US for about 35-40 minutes, when they brought one to you.

There are '17 2 Bolts for rent on Turo in my area, but it's a bit inconvenient and I'd need to bring it back charged to at least 80% (might be a problem if the car has no DC FC inlet). Unfortunately, '18 is when GM supposedly improved the seats. Also, I'd want to do the handovers in the daytime. A co-worker rented a Model 3 (before buying one) but the owner later tried to claim all this damage that my coworker denied. Eventually, after all the hassle, Turo ruled in favor on my co-worker.

The Bolt has a Thermal Management System, and Mary Barra's claim that they have yet to replace an EV battery due to degradation, so I wouldn't be concerned about not knowing the battery temp (model 3 doesn't tell you either). Choose the bolt, because you fit the body profile that the seats were designed for, since that and GM's politics are the only negatives of the Bolt.

As for Turo, message the car owner about non-standard hours for pick-ups and returns. My last rental was very accommodating about my 1 AM flight.

I found the ride quality to be a negative. You an see a SOC display in the app, IIRC, but not on the dash. The backup camera is a bit harder to activate, and the center display, including around view, can freeze and need to be rebooted. Later versions of the firmware may have improved this.

It looks like Cwerdna will be getting a Bolt! Best of luck. Now I have to go outside into post-snowstorm Hell to clear snow...

cwerdna said:
Not that I'm interested in buying a 40 kWh Leaf, but just trying to get an idea of current discounting (for purchases, not leases) in the SF Bay Area to help w/e+ price guesstimates, when that comes out. Trying to decide if I should wait for e+ (likely won't be discounted when it comes out) or just go for a heavily discounted Bolt before tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs gets cut in 1/2 on April 1st.

Right now at https://www.choosenissan.com/leaf/?next=cn.dsp.featuredoffers.dropdownlist_leaf.vsp_featuredoffers (I put in the 95136 zip code, not mine close enough) and there seem to be 0 cash incentives available to the general public. I can't do grad nor military cash. The "$1012" is what they value NCTC at.

I looked at https://www.dublinnissan.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Nissan&model=LEAF&year=2019&trim=SL%20Hatchback&sort=salePrice%7Casc and it seem like they're openly advertising about $1500 off MSRP on SL. Some at https://www.boardwalknissan.com/new-vehicles?make=Nissan&model=Leaf&trim=SL are about $2K off MSRP.

There was https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20180424_pge_customers_eligible_to_save_3000_on_a_new_nissan_leaf_electric_vehicle on '18 Leafs but it expired 1/2/19. Not sure it's been renewed and can apply to '19.
That's their listed price, you might be able to get it lower by emailing dealers so they will compete with each other. I think PG&E will have the $3000 rebate again. In my area, the old one ended on 1/2/19 also. Then it renewed for $3500 now.

I've test driven the Bolt before. I didn't think the performance was that much different from the 40 kWh Leafs in daily driving. What I didn't like was that it didn't have adaptive cruise with lane centering like ProPilot. Plus I got a loaded Leaf for much cheaper than a Bolt. If you're going to be in that SF traffic, get a Leaf with ProPilot.

Triggerhappy007 said:
I've test driven the Bolt before. I didn't think the performance was that much different from the 40 kWh Leafs in daily driving. What I didn't like was that it didn't have adaptive cruise with lane centering like ProPilot. Plus I got a loaded Leaf for much cheaper than a Bolt. If you're going to be in that SF traffic, get a Leaf with ProPilot.
I'm not interested in the 40 kWh Leaf at all given that the 62 kWh e+ is coming out soon. My goal is to get down to an EV only (sell my '13 Leaf and my '06 Prius). 40 kWh Leaf to me falls short of that.

I hear you on the last part but I rarely drive during rush hour and only have 6 miles in each direction of my commute is on the highway. But you are correct on the lack of an equivalent on Bolt.

My real purpose is to get a sense for what e+ pricing and discounting might look like (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=546629#p546629) by trying to gauge 40 kWh Leaf pricing. I can guess the e+ will be $4 to $6.5K more than current 40 kWh Leaf judging by European and Japanese pricing.

Was hoping to get a gauge of 40 kWh Leaf actual prices w/o emailing/contacting a bunch of dealers and requesting quotes given that I'm already doing that for Bolt (+ some other price research).

I ended up with two cars to decide between, neither of which was anything like ideal for me. The Bolt was uncomfortable and rode harshly (but had great range and power) while the 40kwh Leaf only had the features I want/need in the SL version, thus forcing on me a leather interior that I hate - but the Leaf rides and handles to my liking, has all the power I need, and the seats are at least large enough. The cloth version would be perfectly comfortable for me, but the leather gets rock-hard in the cold even under (cheap) seat covers, so that I feel every seam and lump in them. I had been counting on getting nice, padded, expensive, custom-fit seat covers, but the company that makes them never bothered to come up with covers for the 2018, telling me that the previous gen version will fit "more or less." That's for about $500..... So I'm left with a car that I would like if it had the options I want but not the ones I don't, and that would be great for me to drive if the battery weren't deteriorating far too fast. Ce est la vie.

Looks like that link was taken down shortly after you posted it. Sad and funny to see if listed with wrong information.

In terms of 2019 discounts, I wonder if Nissan will have more aggressive discounts for 2019 40 kWh vehicles once the 60 kWh versions come out. With ProPilot reportedly becoming standard on all 60 kWh versions, it would only make sense to drop the 2019 40 kWh by a couple thousand.

Based on what I've gathered from multiple dealers here, the 18/19 MY inventory is drying up especially on the coasts, with Nissan slowing down 2019 40 kWh production. Will Nissan just focus on 60 kWh or will they allocate an equal amount to 40 kWh versions?

In terms of 2019 discounts, I wonder if Nissan will have more aggressive discounts for 2019 40 kWh vehicles once the 60 kWh versions come out.

Look for discounts on the loaded SV and SL 40kwh Leafs when the ePlus is out. I wouldn't expect as much off on S Leafs, and on SV Leafs with no Tech Package.

LeftieBiker said:
In terms of 2019 discounts, I wonder if Nissan will have more aggressive discounts for 2019 40 kWh vehicles once the 60 kWh versions come out.

Look for discounts on the loaded SV and SL 40kwh Leafs when the ePlus is out. I wouldn't expect as much off on S Leafs, and on SV Leafs with no Tech Package.

Our 2016 Leaf SV lease is up in 2 months. Hoping you are right, in which case might pick up another 3 year lease with an SV or SL 40kWh Leaf.

iPlug said:
LeftieBiker said:

Our 2016 Leaf SV lease is up in 2 months. Hoping you are right, in which case might pick up another 3 year lease with an SV or SL 40kWh Leaf.

If prices haven't fallen in two months, try asking for a lease extension. They should fall on the 40kwh cars sometime between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You'll have to get creative and come up with a reason why you need to buy a Leaf three or six months from then, as opposed to then...

The problem, though, is that with the existing utility discount ($5,000 in NYC), I'm not sure Nissan would be willing to sell the 40 kWh for much lower. In the NYC area, you can already buy an SV with the tech package for around $22K, and $20K without the tech package. So steeper discounts would drive the real price of these cars into the teens.

What I think is more likely (though I could be totally wrong about this) is that Nissan will have to offer the utility discount on the Leaf Plus as well - maybe not right away, but definitely by the fall. Because assuming it's true that each trim of the Leaf Plus is a $5,500 markup over the 40K, then the actual cost in real money for an SV Leaf Plus in NYC would be $32K without the utility discount - a ten grand price hike for only 75 miles of range. So instead, if Nissan were to extend the utility discount to the Leaf Plus as well, bringing the total out of pocket cost for a 62 kWh SV to $27K, then 1.) this would be a much more reasonable price increase over the 40 kWh, and 2.) this would make the Leaf Plus much more competitive with the $30K base trims of the Kona and Niro - not just because those cars have more range, but because the Leaf Plus still has an AESC battery, and still has no liquid cooling, and will still have rapidgate fast charging speeds in their North American cars....

LeftieBiker said:
iPlug said:
LeftieBiker said:

If prices haven't fallen in two months, try asking for a lease extension. They should fall on the 40kwh cars sometime between Memorial Day and Labor Day. You'll have to get creative and come up with a reason why you need to buy a Leaf three or six months from then, as opposed to then...
Thanks, will consider that option.

Kieran973 said:
The problem, though, is that with the existing utility discount ($5,000 in NYC), I'm not sure Nissan would be willing to sell the 40 kWh for much lower. In the NYC area, you can already buy an SV with the tech package for around $22K, and $20K without the tech package. So steeper discounts would drive the real price of these cars into the teens.

<span>What I think is more likely (though I could be totally wrong about this) is that Nissan will have to offer the utility discount on the Leaf Plus as well - maybe not right away, but definitely by the fall. Because assuming it's true that each trim of the Leaf Plus is a $5,500 markup over the 40K, then the actual cost in real money for an SV Leaf Plus in NYC would be $32K without the utility discount - a ten grand price hike for only 75 miles of range. So instead, if Nissan were to extend the utility discount to the Leaf Plus as well, bringing the total out of pocket cost for a 62 kWh SV to $27K, then 1.) this would be a much more reasonable price increase over the 40 kWh, and 2.) this would make the Leaf Plus much more competitive with the $30K base trims of the Kona and <a href="http://www.mykianiroev.com/forum" class="interlinkr">Niro<span class="tip">Visit the Niro Forum</span></a> - not just because those cars have more range, but because the Leaf Plus still has an AESC battery, and still has no liquid cooling, and will still have rapidgate fast charging speeds in their North American cars....</span>
Is the utility rebate given via the dealership or the utility?

We have PG&E which has participated in generous Leaf discounts in the past. The problem now, however, is with them filing bankruptcy - they are bouncing checks for other rebate programs.

Also we will probably not be buying a new Leaf but leasing and so far any generous purchase discounts are not reflected in leases except for the base trim S.

The utility rebate is bizarre. It's purely a Nissan discount masquerading as a utility discount. Not sure what either party gets from the make believe, but this seems to be the way it's set up in most parts of the country:

https://www.coned.com/en/save-money/rebates-incentives-tax-credits/rebates-incentives-tax-credits-for-residential-customers/get-a-discount-on-a-nissan-leaf

I guess the good news for you is that, since none of the money would come from PG&E, their solvency wouldn't matter, so you should still be able to claim it?....

Good to hear. If Nissan is really the one taking the discount directly, yes PG&E bankruptcy would not matter.

The California Public Utilities Commission has given all of the state utilities money for electric vehicle rebates. Recently these PG&E checks sent to customers have been bouncing.

Back