Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any good 3 year leases in the Bay area these days? Has anyone leased one recently in the area?
In the market for a Leaf, and have been contacting a few dealers lately. However, the price quoted is too high when leased for 3 years. Do we expect more discount in coming months now that Leaf 2 is revealed.

I assume you mean a 2017 Leaf. I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a lease extension or three for a 2017 Leaf - Nissan will want you to keep it as long as possible. I'm in the fifth year of a two year lease myself. ;-) Just go for the two year deal.

I 'reserved' a Leaf 2 yesterday evening after their reveal. The result was my local dealer sent me an internet quote stating the 2018 Leaf isn't in stock right now but they have a deal for a 2017 S. They are offering it down to $22,225 if I qualify for all the programs, which I do except the $1,000 recent college grad and the $1,000 lease loyalty program since I bought instead of leased my 2013. So that would be $24,225. Federal, State, County and SCE incentives add up to another $12,650 if my math is right. So, that is $11,575 net for a 2017 S. And with the lower cost of maintenance and fuel, that is a whopper of a value when one looks at TCO versus gasoline cars. What gas powered car can you buy new for under $12k?

DarthPuppy - was just wondering about the math you laid out. I'm assuming first off you included the $7500 federal tax rebate - which makes sense. For the rest of the discounts you were laying out, does that include the $4000 NMAC reduction (and for that one when I was poking around about that I thought it might be predicated on a really high credit rating possibly)?

If I could get a 2017s for $11k or so like you laid out - I 'd be really interested in that. Because I've been looking at a lot of used leafs on Carmax, Carvana, Autotrader etc. And it seems like the used 2015S Leafs are often say in the $10k range. If I could get a brand new 2017s for around $11k - for myself I'd be really interested in that.

The details of the quote were as follows:

MSRP- $34,025.00
Dealer Discount- $5000 (should apply to anyone)
NMAC APR Cash- $4000 (should apply to anyone who clears a certain credit score)
Lease Loyalty- $1000 (doesn't apply to me)
College Grad Cash- $1000 (doesn't apply to me)
Leaf Loyalty- $800 (since I currently own a Leaf, I believe this would apply to me)
Internet Price- $22,225.00

So for my math, I added back the $2,000 in deals that don't apply to me to get to the $24,225 price.

The incentives I identified:
Federal $7,500
California $2,500
County $2,200 (this probably doesn't apply to a lot of people, and is limited quantity, first come, first served for the rebate reservation)
SCE $450
Total: $12,650 in incentives

So figure probably more like $13,775 if you aren't in a lucky county.

Did a 2 year lease of a 2017 Leaf S yesterday in Premier Nissan Of San Jose.

* VPP program
* Effectively $182/month (inclusive of taxes and everything else).

Details:
Driveoff: $3500 (inclusive of everything)
Monthly: $33 + tax
Residual after 2 years: 11,568

They were extremely hard to bargain with. Looked like they have very low inventory, so they were dismissive of my low counter offers. I currently spend $160 on fuel on my SUV, so $180 a month still does not feel that bad. Convenience of a car pool sticker made me pull the trigger (This is my second leaf lease)

Rocketfast - that's interesting about it being tough to negotiate. I've been poring over the inventories/prices at the Bay Area Nissan dealers for Leafs this weekend (I live in Cupertino). And yeah it did look like at some of the dealerships they are getting low on 2017 Leafs. One exception to that looked like the Sunnyvale dealer - they looked like they had a lot.

I'm sure you'll be happy with what you got though - sounds like the 2 year lease will work well for you. The boat I'm in unfortunately is that my daily commute is 66 miles round trip. So I think i'd blow through most of the lease caps (say 10k, 12k, or 15k - I drive more than any of those).

My hope had been that with the introduction of the 2018 Leaf, the price might plummet on the 2017s. Doesn't look like it's happening. I had thought about buying a used 2016 S with the 107 mile range (the ones with a "B" in the fourth letter of the VIN). Or else a used 2016 SV or SL. Even those aren't so cheap (well everything's relative I guess about what "cheap" means). For myself I'm going to sit tight a bit longer/keep my current car. I really like the Leaf but I'm hoping for a lower price point and I have a range floor I can't go below.

I've been wavering on the buy/no buy decision for a new Leaf. As mentioned in posts above, I've mainly been hoping the 2017 new prices might nose dive as we get closer to the release of the 2018 model. I live in the SF Bay Area - in Cupertino. So I don't have access to that 10k Energy Company discount that's available in some locales. It's hard for me to lease - my round trip commute is 66 miles a day (so I'd blow through for example a 15k per year lease cap).

At this point what I'm trying to figure out is whether I could snag a rock bottomish deal for a new 2017 leaf or whether I should just wait for the 2018. I guess my definition of rock bottom would be if I could buy a 2017 S with the Quick Charge package for say $24k cash, then I could apply the $7500 federal tax rebate to that, taking the effective price down to say $16,500. If I could go even lower of course that would be better. By contrast if I waited for the 2018 - I guess those are supposed to be in the $29 k range or something when they come out for the S?

I've been monitoring the inventories of Nissan Leafs at some of the local dealers here in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live. Some of the dealers have very small inventories so I won't bother to list them here. The two largest inventories for dealers near me are Sunnyvale Nissan and Burlingame Nissan. Here's what the inventories looked like for those over the past few days. This shows the period between Sat 8/16/2017 - Mon 9/25/2017 first by raw numbers of new leafs, and then broken down by S/SL/SV trims. These are almost all 2017 new Leafs - there are a few 2016 new leafs mixed in there:

Sunnyvale: 70,67,66,66,66,66,58,58,57
53/8/9=70, 50/8/9=67, 50/8/8=66, 50/8/8=66, 50/8/8=66, 50/8/8=66, 50/8/8=66, 43/8/7=58, 43/8/7=58, 42/8/7=57

Burlingame: 50,50,49,49,49,49,49,48,48,47
41/8/1=50, 41/8/1=50, 40/8/1=49, 40/8/1=49, 40/8/1=49, 40/8/1=49, 40/8/1=49, 40/7/1=48, 40/7/1=48, 39/7/1=47

So the inventories have been steadily declining (people are buying/leasing these 2017's I guess)

What I'm wondering is whether I should just approach these dealers and shoot for $24 k cash (or whether they'd just say no to that). Or lower. Not sure what's possible here in the end game stage before the 2017s get phased out the the 2018s show up.

LeftieBiker said:
There should be a "dump the stock" sale right before the 2018 cars arrive at the dealerships. Right afterward at the latest.
It's possible that the "dump the stock" sale is happening now. I have been tracking new Leaf inventory on Cars.com for a while. Currently, national inventory on new Leafs is down to 575 cars. This is down about 950 five weeks ago and I haven't seen any upticks during that time. It does not appear that Nissan is replenishing dealer stock - maybe they can't, if there are no more 2017s in the pipeline. At this rate, the sales totals in Oct, Nov and Dec will be in the low 100's...

And both Autotrader.com and Cars.com only show 3 new Leafs within a 100 radius of Arlington, TX. That radius includes both Dallas and Fort Worth...

It's possible that the "dump the stock" sale is happening now. I have been tracking new Leaf inventory on Cars.com for a while. Currently, national inventory on new Leafs is down to 575 cars. This is down about 950 five weeks ago and I haven't seen any upticks during that time. It does not appear that Nissan is replenishing dealer stock - maybe they can't, if there are no more 2017s in the pipeline. At this rate, the sales totals in Oct, Nov and Dec will be in the low 100's...

That would be just "selling down the stock" without putting it on sale. If that doesn't work, the sales will follow.

bluecat20 said:
At this point what I'm trying to figure out is whether I could snag a rock bottomish deal for a new 2017 leaf or whether I should just wait for the 2018. I guess my definition of rock bottom would be if I could buy a 2017 S with the Quick Charge package for say $24k cash, then I could apply the $7500 federal tax rebate to that, taking the effective price down to say $16,500. If I could go even lower of course that would be better. By contrast if I waited for the 2018 - I guess those are supposed to be in the $29 k range or something when they come out for the S?

Bluecat,
Just to make sure you know, there is a $10k off on Nissan Leaf now (or atleast when I leased last month). So, it is available for $24k cash. If you have VPP or you have leased before, I think there is a $1000 loyalty discount in addition.

I've been lurking on the forum for a while as I research taking advantage of one of those local utility company $10,000 rebates, and I just got back from a New Jersey Nissan dealer. They are the only dealer within a 75 mi radius (of the NJ suburbs west of NYC) that has Leafs in stock, and they are marking S's with charge packages up to $38.5k! The sell down may be happening at the Nissan corporate level, but not at the dealer level!

matthanna06 said:
I've been lurking on the forum for a while as I research taking advantage of one of those local utility company $10,000 rebates, and I just got back from a New Jersey Nissan dealer. They are the only dealer within a 75 mi radius (of the NJ suburbs west of NYC) that has Leafs in stock, and they are marking S's with charge packages up to $38.5k! The sell down may be happening at the Nissan corporate level, but not at the dealer level!

So those crooked dealers are trying to pocket the utility rebate themselves. I'd report them to whatever state and federal entities bother trying to regulate NJ auto sales...

They have been dumping the stock since June., when the 10k discounts started in my area. However, I found they were unwilling to negotiate any more and still loading them up with fees so the best I could get was net 24900-7500=17400. Lease offers were worse. I went with a used 2015 in perfect condition for 11+tax +tags and no fees. That works for me. The steep discounts on the new have depressed the prices of used. Look at cargurs price trend plots and you can see the used prices hit rock bottom in early 2017 and have rebounded a few percent since. Without the 10k discount, no one would buy this years model compared to next. And the fake 10k rebate expires at the end of September, but of course they may extend it. However, if there are still 575 new stock floating around then hope springs eternal !!!!

Back