Wholesale value of the 2011 Leaf @Auction March 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
OK, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks for doing that!

Here is the new thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw a "new" 2011 for sale on eBay today. They want way too much for the car, but I thought it was interesting that they have one with such low mileage. I wonder how the battery has been treated over these years, and what condition its in at this point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-SL-Hatchback-4-Door-/111624519901?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19fd5700dd&item=111624519901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is a 2012 SL in North Carolina on a used car lot asking $8900. Carfax shows it was in NC it's entire life with no accidents noted.

Pictures on autotrader make the car look pristine inside and out.

Gotta assume someone bought this car for less than $8000 if they are trying to sell it for almost 9,000. What is the average profit on a $9,000 car? One thousand, two thousand?

Interesting story on the wholesale auction process.

I've always wondered why this industry exists at such a large scale, since I always have taken the do it yourself route when buying and selling used cars.

But it is sort of amazing when you think about it, that the entire process before and after the auction adds so relatively few dollars to the retail price in a used car transaction.

So compared to the effort required in finding, buying, and sorting out a used car yourself, it is reasonably efficient, and I can see the appeal of the used-car-dealer option.

...I’m at 29900 Auction Way in Hayward, California, in the midst of a massive car auction run by vehicle wholesaler Manheim. The sale I just watched is one of a dozen going simultaneously, each 20 yards or so from the next. In the space of one morning, 2,300 cars change hands. (If you’re sticking around for the full three hours, take the earplugs over the headache.) This isn’t a rarity, it’s a weekly event. Americans buy and sell 40 million used cars a year, and this auction is one of many pipelines, usually unseen, feeding that demand...

After three hours, they’ve picked up 20 cars, more than they needed. Once the paperwork’s filed, Manheim does a closer inspection before releasing each car to DriveTime. Then the used car company runs each vehicle through a 14-day inspection and repair process, checking that all the vitals work with test drives. If the car’s not up to snuff—which happens about 8 percent of the time—it’s dropped. Otherwise, they make any necessary repairs and cosmetic touchups and send it to one of the company’s 128 dealerships. Then it’s off the customer, who’ll most likely have no idea of the journey their “new” car has taken.
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/inside-swift-strategic-world-used-car-auctions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dhanson865 said:
there is a 2012 SL in North Carolina on a used car lot asking $8900. Carfax shows it was in NC it's entire life with no accidents noted.

Gotta assume someone bought this car for less than $8000 if they are trying to sell it for almost 9,000. What is the average profit on a $9,000 car? One thousand, two thousand?

Bought this car. The dealer was really easy to deal with and very honest. My Leaf is now in the loving arms of my house. :D Shipping was $850 (with broker fees). Gave driver $20 tip for driving an extra 50 miles to Santa Fe.

EV4Taos said:
dhanson865 said:

Bought this car. The dealer was really easy to deal with and very honest. My Leaf is now in the loving arms of my house. :D Shipping was $850 (with broker fees). Gave driver $20 tip for driving an extra 50 miles to Santa Fe.

If you hadn't bought it I probably would have by now. BTW how many bars did it have, I don't think they showed on the listing.

Still several on the lots for $9,900 I might wait another week or two and see if I can find another deal like that one.

EV4Taos said:
WOW.
A real deal.
No wonder most people will only lease or buy a used LEAF at an amazingly low price.

Does make you feel sorry for the used car dealer.
Unlikely Nissan sold it at auction for less than $10,000.

EV may be the future.
But a lot of people in the transition are losing their shirt :cry:

dhanson865 said:
EV4Taos said:
dhanson865 said:

If you hadn't bought it I probably would have by now. BTW how many bars did it have, I don't think they showed on the listing.

Still several on the lots for $9,900 I might wait another week or two and see if I can find another deal like that one.

It has 2.5 bars missing. Only 1.5 to go for the free battery lottery and have two more years on the warranty. :cool: I think the dealer got a good deal at the auction, but had a hard time explaining to the NC locals that it doesn't take gas. Apparently he had a lot of interest in the car, but again customers had a difficult time understanding that it doesn't take gas, so he gave up.

dhanson865 said:

Was it http://www.autosportsinc.com/2012_Nissan_LEAF_Hickory_NC_252245030.veh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? If so, it was pointed out to me (at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=418638#p418638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the above vehicle wasn't actually an SL but an SV.

EV4Taos: Was the above the one you got?

cwerdna said:
dhanson865 said:

Was it http://www.autosportsinc.com/2012_Nissan_LEAF_Hickory_NC_252245030.veh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? If so, it was pointed out to me (at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=418638#p418638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the above vehicle wasn't actually an SL but an SV.

Yes this was it. Yeah I'm starting to think it is an SV. Not sure what the difference is in a 2012. Nissan seems think its a SL. Very confusing. It has front and rear heated seats, carwings, nav, but no backup cam.

EV4Taos said:
cwerdna said:
dhanson865 said:

Yes this was it. Yeah I'm starting to think it is an SV. Not sure what the difference is in a 2012. Nissan seems think its a SL. Very confusing. It has front and rear heated seats, carwings, nav, but no backup cam.
ALL '11 and '12 Leafs came w/Carwings and nav.

Also see http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/19/2012-nissan-leaf-higher-price-tag-standard-equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (that I'd pointed to) and Specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Notice that RearView Monitor is listed as - for SV and standard for SL?

EV4Taos said:
The main differences between the 2012 SV and SL are that the SVs lack the rear camera and the DCFC "quick charge" port. There were some other small differences such as the presence or absence of fog lights. But the DCFC port was the big one.

Here are the current auction wholesale actuals for the Week ending April 8th for a 2011 LEAF SL and its high end projected retails values:

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-04-13-15.jpg

Not much action from February except that above average cars seemed to have lost more value than average and below average cars.

Here is the last update from February

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-02-05-15.jpg

My only comment is that the margin between wholesale and retail has quite a bit of wiggle room, so that depending on how long a car sits on a dealers retail lot, will depend on how much a dealer is willing to discount the car. As we have seen, there have been quite a number of 2011 and 2012 cars that are selling for close to their wholesale value. This is good news for someone looking to purchase a 4 year old LEAF despite the fact that most 2011 cars are down on battery capacity. But offsetting that is the possibility of taking advantage of the battery warranty on the car that has otherwise very high reliability. This makes a 2011 car quite a value.

OrientExpress said:
My only comment is that the margin between wholesale and retail has quite a bit of wiggle room, so that depending on how long a car sits on a dealers retail lot, will depend on how much a dealer is willing to discount the car. As we have seen, there have been quite a number of 2011 and 2012 cars that are selling for close to their wholesale value...
The only LEAF retail sales I've seen near the wholesale prices are those which have good reason to sell cheaply, usually due to previous damage, lack of DC port, or high miles.

Mileage (as a rough approximation of charge cycles and battery life) should have a larger effect on used BEV sales prices than it does on used ICEV sales prices, as the battery is a wear item, just like tires, but with a longer duty life and much higher replacement cost.

If you have a battery good for ~100,000 miles to 70% EOL, that costs ~$6,000 to replace, a BEV with ~66k miles might be expected to cost $ thousands (?) less than one with ~33k miles just because of the additional battery capacity loss, not to mention the price decline due to the additional degradation to the other components any vehicle will experience over more miles driven.

Love the guessometer-like-performance of the future price projections.

I assume they just plug recent price fluctuations into a future timescale?

OrientExpress, when you have time could you update this thread with the current values. Today I stopped by the local Nissan dealer and asked what the trade in value was on my 2012 SL and I was told 7800. That seems low for a car with only 27,500 miles.

I also stopped by the local Carmax and they only offered me 8000. Is dealer trade in price usually less than auction price ?

KJD said:
I also stopped by the local Carmax and they only offered me 8000. Is dealer trade in price usually less than auction price ?
One would think so. If the buyer doesn't really want the car for themselves to sell, they're going to put it up for auction. They're taking a risk of losing $ if they pay you/give you too much. Even if they do want it, they probably have a decent idea what the local market is like and wouldn't want to lose $.

BTW, you can sell used cars to dealers, even if you have no intent to trade in or buy from them. I sold my former Nissan 350Z that way, to a Nissan dealer. I had my friend sell her very old Accord to a Honda dealer.

Also, for some states, like yours (UT) and WA, trading in a used car when purchasing a new car == savings on sales tax of the new car (http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). That could potentially alter dealer behavior as they can point out the sales tax savings to you.

It does NOT apply (help) in CA. :(

KJD said:
OrientExpress, when you have time could you update this thread with the current values. Today I stopped by the local Nissan dealer and asked what the trade in value was on my 2012 SL and I was told 7800. That seems low for a car with only 27,500 miles.

Put it up on KSL... if you ask 11,000 it will get snapped up quickly, if you need to sell it that low. I would have bought it from you, but I already got a 2012 and my wife got a 2015. I have frends getting all interested in my LEAF, maybe one of them will want yours?

Back