It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: EV Motorsports Forum
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 am 
Gold Member

Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
TonyWilliams wrote:
You could put on significantly larger diameter tires, or have custom made gears built for the for the 8:1 gear reduction box.

Or drive down a hill.

simple modification....

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:54 am 
Gold Member

TonyWilliams wrote:
You could put on significantly larger diameter tires, or have custom made gears built for the for the 8:1 gear reduction box.

Or drive down a hill.

simple modification....

Leaf since 31 March 2011

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:52 am 

Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011
TonyWilliams wrote:

Or drive down a hill.

I've tried both directions on a stretch of highway w/ a mild incline and the speedo maxed out at 94mph both ways (actual speed was most likely closer to 90mph). It is definitely a RPM limit on the motor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 am 

palmermd wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:

Or drive down a hill.

simple modification....

A Leaf Donk? Now how does that relate to motorsports?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 am 
Gold Member

Tony wanted to put large wheels on his leaf to go faster. This is what I see around here with guys putting on large wheels on their cars. Ridiculous, I know. What does it have to do with motor sports? Nothing unless you want to slow down. As far as I know, you want to put the smallest wheels possible and still have the largest brakes possible if you want to go fast.

oh, and what is a donk? new term to me. ok found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Riser_(automobile)

Leaf since 31 March 2011

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 am 

palmermd wrote:
Tony wanted to put large wheels on his leaf to go faster. This is what I see around here with guys putting on large wheels on their cars. Ridiculous, I know. What does it have to do with motor sports? Nothing unless you want to slow down. As far as I know, you want to put the smallest wheels possible and still have the largest brakes possible if you want to go fast.

oh, and what is a donk? new term to me. ok found it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Riser_(automobile)

Yeah, you got it mostly right. The final tire dia has to be sized for the intended application and drivetrain atributes. AutoXers when given the option almost always run shorter. For the most part staying stock dia is optimal. Drag racers tend to run taller. When staggered keeping the same dia ratio of front to rear is sometimes necessary it prevent the ABS from going into ice-mode. Lighter is always better but not necessarily at sacrificing other needed attributes. Lots of variables.

Yeah, Donks are disgusting creations IMO. A foul to automotive culture. Sorry if I offend anyone, but that's just my opinion. I see 'em every so often and looks like the driver is having a hell of a time trying to keep it going down the road. They can never travel at highway speeds and would never be able to make an emergency stop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:55 pm 

Delivery Date: 26 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 0000
LOL... I dunno,... I'm not a fan of Donks/High Risers either but you gotta acknowledge that it takes a lot of effort to make those vehicles into what they are. Either that or a lot of $. Some of those wheels cost over $7000 each and that's not even for the massively huge ones. A set of 4 of them would be a Leaf (after tax credit).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 pm 

Drivesolo wrote:
I've tried both directions on a stretch of highway w/ a mild incline and the speedo maxed out at 94mph both ways (actual speed was most likely closer to 90mph). It is definitely a RPM limit on the motor.

Got up earlier than usual this morning and was looking for something to do. Weather was fair so I when out in the Leaf to test top speed out. Same results; 94 speedo reading even heading downhill. Albeit not the fastest acceleration to 90+, it was probably the smoothest acceleration I've ever felt to get to that speed and seemed like it had more torque to push farther if allowed to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:55 am 

Delivery Date: 07 Jun 2011
RedLeader wrote:
seemed like it had more torque to push farther if allowed to.

Taller gearing would get you going faster. 80 kW should be enough to to 110 mph or so in the LEAF. One of the design goals of the LEAF was to give it zero-lift so it should be pretty stable at high speeds, too.

Easiest way to get it going faster will be taller tires - I wonder how tall of a tire will fit in there... I bet a 225/70/16 would fit as long as you don't turn the steering wheel too far and be good for about 14% more top speed or a bit over 105 mph. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:03 pm 

Brightonuk wrote:
Maybe becoming a "Forum Supporter" may help your case ;)

Done. ;)

What's next to get an EV motorsports forum?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next