2013 SV - thoughts?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

Looking to buy used 2013 SV at $9K from private seller. Here are the LeafSpy data.

R7d4I35.png

5y2wZQa.png

fuCtg2B.png

9sybi9i.png

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

This is my first EV purchase, so I'm trying to be more circumspect than I normally would be when purchasing a car.

Best as I can tell, this looks like a pretty good deal, especially given its use in the Upper Midwest (US).

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers.

The LeafSpy stats look decent, you're unlikely to find much better. I think the price is fair too, although prices vary depending in which market you are buying. Interesting that it's never had a QC, does it have a CHADEMO port? Guessing not...

The VIN # looks weird, they usually start with 1N4. Too bad, as the trick to get the original sales sticker is handy for seeing the original location it was sold in and what options it had:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23716

You should check when it was made (door pillar), as you want a LEAF that has the better battery chemistry (anytime from April 2013 onwards has the improved chemistry).

Also, you're probably going to need to buy a new 12V battery, that voltage is pretty low.

alozzy said:
The LeafSpy stats look decent, you're unlikely to find much better. I think the price is fair too, although prices vary depending in which market you are buying. Interesting that it's never had a QC, does it have a CHADEMO port? Guessing not...

The VIN # looks weird, they usually start with 1N4. Too bad, as the trick to get the original sales sticker is handy for seeing the original location it was sold in and what options it had:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23716
That isn't the VIN. The 230SM... is the battery serial number. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=521772#p521772. If Obscure VIN is turned off, Leaf Spy Pro for Android started showing the VIN and battery serial # in the same field, w/them alternating back/forth every few seconds.

As for that window sticker trick, IIRC, it doesn't work on my current '13 Leaf but did work on the '13 Leaf I returned at lease end.

The LeafSpy looks really good for a 2013 model, although I do not know why the Odometer reading is zero.
If you have log info that goes back a couple of months that shows a steady Ahr capacity it would be reassuring that no reset monkey business had taken place.

Any chance this car has a new battery ? That would be most welcome news if true although odd if the seller did not say so.

Odometer can be 0 and numerous other values can be invalid of if the car's not in READY mode. Gotta wait several seconds after putting the car in READY mode (green car with arrows) w/the green box in the lower right w/the numbers changing/cycling.

If the reading wasn't done correctly, it should be repeated. No chance it's an early build 2013 if the SOH is really 91%, unless it's a replacement pack. Speaking of which, there is a local early build 2013 for sale at a local dealership here, with 12 bars showing. I'd like to think it has a Lizard pack, but the odometer reading is also 15k miles lower than my VIN search result...

These LeafSpy numbers are consistent with a later model 2013 living its life in Michigan based on my experience. The bad part about buying a Leaf in Winter is that you' can't really be sure how close the battery is to losing it's first bar, since LeafSpy numbers are inflated some in colder temperatures. My 2013 that has hovered around 91-93 SOH in March got down as low as 87 last summer. The year before, the readings were normally around 96 and sometimes went over 100 during warmups from extreme cold snaps. I fully expect to lose my first bar sometime this summer, but expect to have over 55,000 miles when it happens.

I think you can get a couple years of service from this battery as long as you're not expecting 50+ mile range in winter. With the cheaper battery options on the way, the utility of older Leafs should improve and used prices will continue to stabilize.

I just traded in my 2013 Leaf for a new 2018 leaf. My 2013 had 84,000 and still had full battery capacity. I had never heard of leaf spy it would have been interesting to to see how close it was to loosing a bar of capacity.

kubben said:
I just traded in my 2013 Leaf for a new 2018 leaf. My 2013 had 84,000 and still had full battery capacity. I had never heard of leaf spy it would have been interesting to to see how close it was to loosing a bar of capacity.

Where are you located? Please put in your profile, so we don't need to guess. Climate has a lot to do with battery life, range, etc.

What was the manufacturing date of the 2013? Later ones had better battery life.

Welcome to the forum.

I paid the same price for a 2013 SV with 5% lower SOH at the beginning of last summer, so assuming those battery stats are real (i.e. not the result of a partially-recalculated BMS reset), I would say that is an excellent buy!

Ideally, you would do a long test drive (>10% of the battery capacity) and use the trip stats to back-calculate the total battery capacity. That should be able to rule out a serious BMS reset.

kubben said:

Having 12 bars showing means that capacity loss is no greater than ~15%, not that no capacity has been lost. My 12 bar 2013 Leaf has lost about 14% capacity.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback.

Here's some replies to/questions regarding your comments:

alozzy said:
Interesting that it's never had a QC, does it have a CHADEMO port? Guessing not...
No, it doesn't. Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing that it has never had a QC?

SageBrush said:
If you have log info that goes back a couple of months that shows a steady Ahr capacity it would be reassuring that no reset monkey business had taken place.
Working on getting that info now.

silverone said:
I think you can get a couple years of service from this battery as long as you're not expecting 50+ mile range in winter. With the cheaper battery options on the way, the utility of older Leafs should improve and used prices will continue to stabilize.
Got a L2 at work (25 miles away), so I should be good. Also, what do you mean by "cheaper batter options"? I thought a new one was $6K?

The "QC" count in the pic you posted of LeafSpy's default screen:

fuCtg2B.png

The cheaper battery pack option is not available yet in NA, but it will be remanufactured packs, with at least 80% SOH for under $3k

I don't know about 2013 but I'm pretty sure that for 2017 models no QC port means no L2 charging either. You can still use the L2 charger at your work but it may be limited to L1 charging rates.

goldbrick said:
I don't know about 2013 but I'm pretty sure that for 2017 models no QC port means no L2 charging either. You can still use the L2 charger at your work but it may be limited to L1 charging rates.
No so

You may be thinking of the supplied mobile EVSE. The one supplied with the 'S' model is 120v only while the more featured mobile EVSE can also take advantage of 240V if available. That is the EVSE -- it does not affect the car on board charger (OBC) which is up to 6.6 kW using the J1772 connector.

Bottom line: any LEAF can be charged at L2 (240) volts if you have the right EVSE. Actually, I cannot think of any EV with J1772 that does not support L2. It may be part of the spec.

Tangentially,
Regarding OBC specs:
Nissan rates power before the OBC; net to the battery is ~ 10% less
Toyota e.g. rates power *after* the OBC, so net to the battery is about the same as the Toyota rating.

goldbrick said:

NO. All Leafs come with L-2 charging capability. A 2017 Leaf with no QC may have the slower 3.3kw onboard charger, but it's still L-2.

LeftieBiker said:
goldbrick said:

NO. All Leafs come with L-2 charging capability. A 2017 Leaf with no QC may have the slower 3.3kw onboard charger, but it's still L-2.
6.6 kW across the Model trims in 2018.
https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/versions-specs/

I don't know if the 2017 model year had a base 'S' with OBC limited to 3.3 kW but that would still be at 240 volts (L2). If true then the limiter would be amperage.

Sorry about the confusion on the L2. I keep thinking L1 = 3.3kW but that is obviously wrong as L1 = 120V and 12A for a Leaf. As everyone except me knows L2 = 240V and max charge rate wattage will vary based on the charger electronics in the car.

I have a 2017 S and the owner's manual mentions both the 3.3kW and 6.6kW charger rates 'if equipped' but I suppose it's possible that all 2017 models are 'equipped' with the upgraded charger. I can't tell since my car came with the charger upgrade option and it has the quick charge port (and 6.6kW L2 charger).

goldbrick said:
Sorry about the confusion on the L2. I keep thinking L1 = 3.3kW but that is obviously wrong as L1 = 120V and 12A for a Leaf. As everyone except me knows L2 = 240V and max charge rate wattage will vary based on the charger electronics in the car.
L1 can be up to 27.5a or the same as on L2 with a Leaf that has a 6.6kw charger :)

goldbrick said:
I have a 2017 S and the owner's manual mentions both the 3.3kW and 6.6kW charger rates 'if equipped' but I suppose it's possible that all 2017 models are 'equipped' with the upgraded charger. I can't tell since my car came with the charger upgrade option and it has the quick charge port (and 6.6kW L2 charger).
If your S has the charger package it will charge at up to 27.5a on either L1 or L2(which would be 6.6kw).
If your S has a QC port it has the 6.6kw charger, which means 27.5a on either 120v or 240v.

Back