Leaf CAN-BUS and ODB-II data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinSmuts

Dear All,

I am currently interning at a startup company working with electric mobility. We have a fleet of various electric bicycles, ATVs, and two Nissan Leaf Vehicles.

The company has thrown me into the deep-end here. I need to create a mobile application that can help predict remaining driving range and SoC. Although I know there are apps available like LeafSpy, and other trip planners, they want me to develop my own application taking into consideration route characteristics (elevation, latitude, longitude), weather, traffic etc. However, I need to retrieve a few data points from the Leaf before I can make predictions.

I have no experience with CAN-BUS. I, therefore, have two main questions:

1. Where will be a good point to start to learn to get CAN-BUS and OBD-II data for the Nissan Leaf? Even general CAN-BUS retrieval techniques for current CAN standards will be helpful.

2. Are there readily available (open-source) CAN-BUS/OBD algorithms or decoders that I can use to get data from the Leaf, which can be used to feed into third-party applications like the one I am planning?

I have looked into a popular OBD-II reader, http://www.obdlink.com/mxwf/. I am tasked with getting the following data from the Nissan Leaf in real-time:

1. SoC
2. Battery Current
3. Remaining Driving Range
4. Temperature
5. Energy usage (average, per km, per 100km etc. )
6. Braking/regenerative braking data e.g. energy generated, time spent braking
7. Auxiliaries on/off - e.g. lights, wipers, climate control.
8. Speed
9. Acceleration

My apologies if this question has been answered before. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Martin

Back