Right to charge in public lots

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentklineman

Does anyone know about charging rights in office buildings? To wit: I work in a building that has several different businesses. One of them is Kaiser, and there are two spots reserved for physicians that has the only two charging plugs in the parking lot we all use and have parking passes for. Can they deny use to other EV owners and just reserve it for physicians? That seems like it would be illegal. And how would we propose to the property managers that the parking lots plugs should be accessible to other users of the building and the lot? I'm not talking about anyone that comes into the parking lot, but we daily users of the lot should have access to the only two L1 chargers available.

So-called "public parking lots" are generally privately owned. In addition, there is no established legal "right to charge." It's unfortunate, but you are not going to get anywhere assuming that there is such a right.

kentklineman2014 said:
Does anyone know about charging rights in office buildings? To wit: I work in a building that has several different businesses. One of them is Kaiser, and there are two spots reserved for physicians that has the only two charging plugs in the parking lot we all use and have parking passes for. Can they deny use to other EV owners and just reserve it for physicians? That seems like it would be illegal. And how would we propose to the property managers that the parking lots plugs should be accessible to other users of the building and the lot? I'm not talking about anyone that comes into the parking lot, but we daily users of the lot should have access to the only two L1 chargers available.

When you say "charging plugs" do you mean EVSE, or just plain electrical outlets?

kentklineman2014 said:

You have to get permission to charge from the entity that pays the electric bill, and the entity that controls the parking area. Typically, they are both the same entity, usually building management. It may not make sense that the only two EV spaces are reserved for Doctors, unless you are talking about outlets and not actual charging stations, but management has the right to do as they choose with parking, as long as they comply with ADA, OSHA, and any other regulatory bodies that have jurisdiction over them.

There is no 'right to charge' unless signs are posted allowing it, charging stations are installed with spaces marked as such, or written permission is provided to permit it. Many parking facilities do not allow use of any outlets for safety and liability reasons. All you can do is ask the proper people, and hope they will accommodate your needs.

EASY WAY...... Empty space? Park in the space and Plug the charger cable into your electric car. Then leave your info on the windshield.

If they call you, say I'm sorry and get the specific rules of the charging station then. They can't burn you at the stake as a trespasser, as you work there, and have an electric car that uses that charging station.

Probably the docs had the pull to request that they be installed in the doctor's parking area. Even possible that they paid for them, but probably not. If it were me, I wouldn't contact building management directly, I would go through my own company's hierarchy.

How would you park in the MD spot without getting a ticket or just towed creating a big bill? That is larger issue, even if someone said you could use the charger.

kentklineman2014 said:

Judging by the variety of replies, it seems there's still insufficient info. A picture saves a thousand questions.

I'm guessing they are simply 120v outlets, meant for an engine block heater. At a hospital I worked at all the Dr's spots near the building had them. They are also frequently at Dr's spots at clinics. Hospitals tend to have security patrol Dr's lots, clinics probably not so much, well I guess unless it's in a city or parking is in short supply.

Rights? No, it would be private property and the operators of said property get to make the rules.

In theory, one could argue that all parking should be first come, first served and physicians shouldn't get special parking spots. But the fact of the matter is that the physicians will have clout with the business (Kaiser) and therefore with the building's parking operation. So yes, they will get special spots. It is possible they pay extra for those spots but unlikely. Kaiser might pay extra so the physicians can have those spots - usually when tenants want reserved parking, the lot charges more for that. Whether that is paid by Kaiser or the physicians is between those two groups.

As for the chargers, they are probably there at the request of the physicians, again for their convenience, not yours. Again, they may have paid for them, but also unlikely. It is more likely that Kaiser is the one paying for them as a fringe benefit to keep the physicians happy.

I used to work at a hospital. When the physicians started getting their Teslas, they requested charging stations be added to the physician parking area. Me and my Leaf were out of luck. This despite the fact that the Tesla had lots of range so they didn't need the charging and I could have really used the charging a couple times. But need or benefit was irrelevant. What mattered was what the physicians wanted, they got. So the hospital spent money so the physicians could get free, unneeded charging of their Teslas. Anyone else was out of luck.

Seems a nice Clipper creek unit would be a nice addition in an area that others could charge. You know, equal access and all. Free electrons doesn't always work it seems.

Our workplace just doubled our free Chargepoints from 3 to 6 units/spaces. People still ICE the spots. EVs still overstay their charge and take the space all day. No enforcement of our OR law that is a $250 penalty to do such things. (shakes head)

Sometimes people are just wankers.

Reserved parking for doctors is a little more than just a perk. If a doc is rushing in for an emergency procedure, you don't want him hunting around for a space...of course that doesn't mean it isn't a perk for the bulk of the them the rest of the time. Nor does it mean they don't get plenty of other perks...like at work charging.

Back