Two Battery related questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyDan

I've Been driving my 2015 S trim for a month now, put 1,000 miles on it, love it. Winning the campaign to get work to install a Level 2 charging station for me, which would make me love it even more :)

1) Is there a list somewhere of what draws on the 12V accessory battery and when I should start to worry? ex: how long can I blast my stereo, when the vehicle is not moving, without draining the battery? I also am assuming that accessory battery will only recharge when the car is moving (alternator?). I have a 2015 S trim, so no solar panel :cry: As a side note, how many people carry around a jumper pack for the accessory battery to allow you to get started even if it is dead?

2) I have noticed that I loose battery charge % quicker on the higher end than the lower end. Is this normal for anyone else? ex: I go from 100% to 75% much quicker than I go from 75% to 50%. Even with all other conditions being similar (heater usage, etc).

Thanks to everyone for providing this great resource for those dipping their toes in the zero emissions pool!

As far as battery use is concerned, the 12V battery in a Leaf is similar to that in most other cars, so the battery life running radio is similar. With all lead-acid batteries, the battery life is longer if it is kept near 100% charge. Deep discharge is bad for lead-acid batteries, so try to avoid running it down.

As for the traction battery use indicator, they all show like yours. The first bar goes quickly, the second fairly quickly, the third a bit longer, etc. We think that Nissan did that intentionally to hide the fact that there is some reserve in the battery and save you from being stranded.

Like lead-acid batteries, lithium batteries do not like being deep discharged. If you want to maximize your battery health (and your sanity), avoid going under 5 miles remaining.

Bob

At the risk of having my 12V battery go dead within the hour, I'll say that the 12V battery is excellent, bordering on spectacular!!

I have a 2011 LEAF, manufactured 6/2011, and has been in the heat of Florida for many years but the original battery is still going now almost 6 years later.

One factor might be that I use a CTEK battery charger on it once in awhile. I have the CTEK 0.8, but if I had to choose again I might get a Multi 4.3, which can do as the 0.8 but also go to 4.3 amps if you choose.

http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/
(I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer)

Some of the experts don't approve of the LEAF 12V battery charging profile, they say it leaves the battery undercharged. So the CTEK charger should help.

Back