Public discussion of Tony Williams ban from Mynissanleaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyW

I have just learned that Tony Williams was banned from this forum (and possibly other related forums owned by the same person).

I'd like to know why. He has a wealth of knowledge of many EV topics and was a paid vendor.

Thanks,

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
I have just learned that Tony Williams was banned from this forum (and possibly other related forums owned by the same person).

I'd like to know why. He has a wealth of knowledge of many EV topics and was a paid vendor.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Would be interesting if true. I hadn't noticed anyone banned here much less Tony who as you note is a wealth of information on EV topics.

Tony's been ban before for various feisty deeds in the past but he's been good in recent years and helpful to new folks!

Banned forever or banned for a while as a warning ?

Tony is not a troll, so I say follow the money trail.

Hi All, how did this get public?
I just banned him this morning and already there's a topic here about it? Cyberspace...

LeftieBiker said:
There was a post in the For Sale section, attacking a competitor, this morning. I'd look that way.
+1
It was kind of our of character(from what I know of Tony) I mean this site is big enough for more than one seller of EVSEs :)

wxxyz said:
Hi All, how did this get public?
I just banned him this morning and already there's a topic here about it? Cyberspace...
Owners of a forum can ban whoever they please. And before anyone coughs up "Freedom of speech" that only applies as a protection from the government, not in among ourselves. I don't know what it was for but he was a very good source of information and smart poster and helper. But we all have our bad days and I've seen him 'tussle' verbally but there are way too many willing to do that on forums and public comment boards. i try not to rise to a challenge when I facing one as humor is usually lost between the brain and the keyboard and who can know if what you read as rude was just light teasing. To be banned? i guess he broke a rule, one too many.

In the period of time when I was active around here Tony was informative, but intolerant and rude and acted like he was the only person with knowledge on various topics. I would go as far as to say he would cross the line into abusive.

Case and point from Monday on Mirai/hydrogen thread referring to people who disagree with him:

"We are at step three for the several hydrogen shills here."

Name calling instead of argument, typical.

Ugh. I hate to see this. Tony could be / can be rough but he has done a tremendous amount for Leaf owners. Hopefully, it is only a temporary ban.

DuncanCunningham said:
Owners of a forum can ban whoever they please. And before anyone coughs up "Freedom of speech" that only applies as a protection from the government, not in among ourselves.
And the rest of us are free to decide if we want to participate/support a forum that bans members for reasons we find capricious (e.g., Twitter). Myself, I think he should be banned for playing the Microsoft card and advertising vaporware like this JDapter.

On a more serious note, I believe the forum owner should at least be willing to tell the community what policy is being enforced so the rest of us can have an informed view about what policies we (the so far non-banned members) are supporting with our knowledge, time and money.

I've contacted Tony and am awaiting his response. At that point I will know how our relationship will be proceeding.

These are the general Terms of Service that everyone clicks past to register:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/ucp.php?mode=terms

jhm614 said:
Ugh. I hate to see this. Tony could be / can be rough but he has done a tremendous amount for Leaf owners. Hopefully, it is only a temporary ban.
Tremendous is an understatement and it's not only for Leaf drivers, but for EV drivers, in general (esp. Rav4 EV).

Hopefully, it's only temporary.

Seriously? There are some folks in the EV community that are indisputably immune from bans due to their contributions and activity in the EV scene - those whom have done such great work that's helped build the industry we have today. In my view, Tony is one of those people.

This is such an absurd thing to have seen happen, that it strikes me as nothing but a glitch... some algorithm gone screwy or some newbie mod saw a link and said "hmm, advertising? ban".

Hopefully this issue shouldn't even be up for debate, and Tony gets unbanned as soon as some admin actually sees this thread.

(also worth noting, the ban system in web-based forums like these has been stale and dysfunctional for over a decade... it's great to keep spammers at bay, but not a functional system for behavioral bans to real human beings. But maybe that's a discussion for another day...)

FalconFour said:
Seriously? There are some folks in the EV community that are indisputably immune from bans due to their contributions and activity in the EV scene - those whom have done such great work that's helped build the industry we have today. In my view, Tony is one of those people.

This is such an absurd thing to have seen happen, that it strikes me as nothing but a glitch... some algorithm gone screwy or some newbie mod saw a link and said "hmm, advertising? ban".

Hopefully this issue shouldn't even be up for debate, and Tony gets unbanned as soon as some admin actually sees this thread.

(also worth noting, the ban system in web-based forums like these has been stale and dysfunctional for over a decade... it's great to keep spammers at bay, but not a functional system for behavioral bans to real human beings. But maybe that's a discussion for another day...)
the forum owner has seen this thread and has already posted to it twice. Read down the pages to see and read.

DuncanCunningham said:
the forum owner has seen this thread and has already posted to it twice. Read down the pages to see and read.
I had to scan through the posts another 2 times... is that "wxxyz"? Don't even see an admin tag or decorum or anything... good way to blend in when supporters look more important than the owner/admin :lol:

Yeah, that severely tips the scale in favor of "let's build a new forum ourselves"... :?

Back