2012 Nissan leaf / How soon will drop 1 battery bar?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauigirl

Now my Nissan leaf is at 9 bars capacity. If i use fast charge 1-2 times every day,how soon the battery will drop down to 8 bars ? thanks in advance.

There is no way to know without using the LeafSpy app and a Bluetooth code reader on the car. It would also help if you put your car's info (year, mileage, even build date) in your signature line. Or at least post them here.

DuncanCunningham said:
.... so up and down hills is a good idea too.
Hmmm, isn't that what I just said? Haleakala is 10,000 ft and Maui beaches are at, wait for it...., 0 ft (sea level). There "may" be greater elevation changes in the Leaf's range, but I'll wait for you to find one, ;)

If the state of health is under 66,25% for 2 months, you will go down to 8 bars.

SOH can go up and down. When you quick charge, the SOH will typical go up. Short term.
QC might also make high temperature, that will make the battery poor, long term.

If you have lost 3 bars, the soh has been under 72,5% for more than 2 months. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss

If SOH is under 70%, you might get new battery if the capacity warranty is still valid, if i am wright.

I would not swap battery right now, if it is possible to wait and see what future battery swap program will bring.

Here in Europe, it should cost 2500-3000€ to swap to a new 41kwh battery on a Renault Zoe from an old 22kwh battery. Nissan Micra will get the same powertrain as Zoe which means 41kwh.

LeftieBiker said:
There is no way to know without using the LeafSpy app and a Bluetooth code reader on the car. It would also help if you put your car's info (year, mileage, even build date) in your signature line. Or at least post them here.

Mahalo Biker, Sorry, i should share more details. 2012 Nissan leaf SL / mileage: 40K

Here is the story, I went to Nissan for annual check Oct last year. I was told the battery capacity is down. I should use the trickle charge to preserve the battery capacity. I have level 2 charge station at home. The customer rep even told me don't use it that much. Since then, I have using the trickle charge...it takes more that 8 hours to get a full charge.... :x I feel very frustrated, because it is not convenient at all...

Somehow, some point, I really did not know the battery has a warranty!!! :( Until last week, I went to Nissan again, the another customer rep told me, the battery is still under the warranty, but it will expire on Feb 17, 2017!!! If the battery drops down to 8 bar before then, i would be eligible to get a new battery!

Most likely i have to go back to use the fast charge to try to make 1 bar drop as soon as possible! but on the other hand, i also face a risk, what happens if the battery could not drop 1 bar before Feb 2017??? I will lost the warranty and have to purchase a new battery out of my own pocket!!

That is why i have this question in here. Too bad i didn't found this website until now... :x

Amund said:
If the state of health is under 66,25% for 2 months, you will go down to 8 bars.

SOH can go up and down. When you quick charge, the SOH will typical go up. Short term.
QC might also make high temperature, that will make the battery poor, long term.

If you have lost 3 bars, the soh has been under 72,5% for more than 2 months. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss

If SOH is under 70%, you might get new battery if the capacity warranty is still valid, if i am wright.

I would not swap battery right now, if it is possible to wait and see what future battery swap program will bring.

Here in Europe, it should cost 2500-3000€ to swap to a new 41kwh battery on a Renault Zoe from an old 22kwh battery. Nissan Micra will get the same powertrain as Zoe which means 41kwh.
:?: Thanks for the info.. i kinda silly, how to understand "If the state of health is under 66,25% for 2 months, you will go down to 8 bars ?" :shock:

Mauigirl,

Don't be afraid to use L2 charging. There is no advantage to trickle charging for battery life and the owner manual recommends L2 charging for normal daily charging. If your car has been displaying 9 bars for a while, there is a good chance that it will lose one more bar by February.

Gerry

at the risk of stating the obvious.. drive the P**s out of it !
hit the red zone often.. charge to 100% often
leave it parked in the sun, drive it on the freeway and quick charge it
let is sit discharged or over charged

check with the old timers here to find out how much Nissan tracks abuse.

What kills these batteries is Heat, sitting discharged, sitting over charged ( over 90%)
ambient heat, and the heat of fast discharge ( hill climibing or freeway high speed) followed by quick charging

a new 30Kw battery if you can get one.. will make it a whole new car !

Don't give advice on how to abuse a product so that someone can fraudulently get a free handout...

We don't know the details of this case, and I will not help someone who may have just bought the car for nothing win the battery lottery...

Mauigirl said:
what happens if the battery could not drop 1 bar before Feb 2017??? I will lost the warranty and have to purchase a new battery out of my own pocket!!

Why would you buy a new battery at all? You don't mention any problems with the driveability. You wouldn't shoot your 6 year old dog just because he doesn't have the pep or energy of a 1 year old dog.

Yes, I love my 7 year old dog...

+1 on the last post... I think people cannot expect an electric car to perform like a gas powered one. If you buy a used Leaf, you have to accept that the days of its highest mileage are over, and that the battery will deteriorate on a regular basis. The car, however can have many years of use (as is) if you don't expect to drive it long distances.

When my Leaf cannot get me the 60-65 miles round trip range of my commute, then my wife will take the car and drive it for errands around town for many years (15-20 miles), we hope...

Reddy said:
DuncanCunningham said:
.... so up and down hills is a good idea too.
Hmmm, isn't that what I just said? Haleakala is 10,000 ft and Maui beaches are at, wait for it...., 0 ft (sea level). There "may" be greater elevation changes in the Leaf's range, but I'll wait for you to find one, ;)

you may have noticed that we posted at the same time. it's not a pissing contest.

powersurge said:
Don't give advice on how to abuse a product so that someone can fraudulently get a free handout...
Fraudulently? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=469608#p469608

And folks like drees got screwed since they babied the battery: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=469084#p469084. IIRC, he knew some folks in his area who didn't baby their batteries, so they lost their 4th bar within the capacity warranty period.

Back