Etiquette For Unplugging another car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calldon

Last week I was at a free charging station and a car was plugged in but with a full charge. I went inside, hoping the owner would be aware and unplug.

Around 30 minutes later I went outside to check and noticed a note on the plugged car's door. It was a well printed note saying if the car was charged, unplug it and use it. So nice. I'm going to print some of those notes.

Tonight I was at the same place and a Chevy Volt was plugged in for around an hour and a half. I went inside the business for awhile then came back out to check.

At that time, the charger indicator said the car was full and charging had stopped. I wasn't sure what to do.

So I unplugged the Volt, plugged in my Leaf and began the charging session. Of course, the volume horn alarm started for a few seconds.

I felt like I should have left a note or something.

And should I close the charging door on the volt? What's the proper procedure for a situation like this?

Thanks.

Treat the other vehicle the way you would expect your car to be treated.
I also would swap the cord to my vehicle, close the port gently and ignore the horn.

I think I've read that the Volt can be set to not sound the horn if the cable is removed AND the car is fully charged???
If that's true, might be nice to put that on a note, letting them know that they can change that default (as I understand, it was default in some Volts??) setting....
Might be they don't know...

(Or I could have imagined reading that about the Volt... ;-) )

desiv

This spring we traveled to the US with my family in our Leaf. We had a pretty well planned day requiring 3 DCQC's to get to our destination at the zoo. We also needed some charge after the zoo to get to our hotel.

Needless to say things didn't go perfectly, we had to wait at one DCQC, our day got shortened and I was late for an appointment and we got to the zoo late in the day.

The zoo had one single charge point pedestal and it was plugged in to a tesla. I think it was a miracle but the parking spot beside the tesla was open. The tesla's charge door LED was not lit and not flashing so I assumed this to mean it wasn't doing anything. I wrote a note apologizing and and indicating our situation. We pulled in with under 15% remaining.

So I unplugged the tesla and we visited the zoo. I left their J1772 adapter and charge door open, figuring the less I touch the better. I was a bit nervous about it. Expecting a page over the intercom would the owner of the grey leaf please come to the parking lot for a beat down! Nothing happened, not even a note from the tesla driver.

the ONLY etiquette is that the charging station is there to charge cars. if its not charging the car its hooked up to, then... we u can guess the rest I hope

If they're done, they're done. Unplug and use.

My only problem so far was another driving asking me to finish my quick charge early. I'm quick charging because I don't have time and need the charge. If I think I can make it no problem but if I'm at the Nissan dealership it usually means I have a ways to go. Also if you ask me and in the meantime your not hooked up to an open L2 I have an issue. At least get something until my charge is done. I don't charge to 100% just 30 minutes anyway due to battery degradation as it indicates close to 100% when a half hour is over.

The other pet peeze I have is taking the plug from one designated spot and using it in another designated charge spot with its own plug. Went to the mall and saw tangled web of cords from one spot to the other. The odd spot was a nearby by unmarked spot charging. Only reason why I'm noting it is because some locations tow you if you aren't plugged in and charging. I didn't want to be that guy.

Mostly agree, but..
co2112 said:
Also if you ask me and in the meantime your not hooked up to an open L2 I have an issue. At least get something until my charge is done.
If they have a Leaf with a 3.3 kW OBC, then you are talking about getting very very little extra range for the 30 minutes or so you are waiting for someone to finish their QC.

If they are going to have to QC anyway...

desiv

co2112 said:
My only problem so far was another driving asking me to finish my quick charge early. I'm quick charging because I don't have time and need the charge. If I think I can make it no problem but if I'm at the Nissan dealership it usually means I have a ways to go. Also if you ask me and in the meantime your not hooked up to an open L2 I have an issue. At least get something until my charge is done. I don't charge to 100% just 30 minutes anyway due to battery degradation as it indicates close to 100% when a half hour is over.

I almost always take only what I need and never more than I need if there is a queue. if everyone did this, then ok, you should be peeved. In my experience, less than half do. They charge for 30 mins because that has somehow become the standard or they charge to 80% or whatever.

Half the time I have asked someone how much they needed (usually after waiting 5 mins) they say "oh, I probably have enough. I only live 10 miles away" and unplug and leave. pretty sure they would have sat until some predetermined level had I not asked...

When I leave my car at a charging station, I have a page-size laminated sign that goes on the dash. It says that "in case of charging or other questions, please call my cell at (MY NUMBER)"

Where I charge, there is never a wait, and no one has ever called. But I feel better, more polite, and supportive of the EV community doing so.

I'm going to have to print a few things, a couple to leave on the door/window like I experienced this week and maybe a couple of variations laminated for appropriate times. Thanks for the feedback and great ideas.

Calldon said:
I'm going to have to print a few things, a couple to leave on the door/window like I experienced this week and maybe a couple of variations laminated for appropriate times. Thanks for the feedback and great ideas.

I have a couple of these laminated hangers that work very well. It has 2 sides. One for OK TO UNPLUG - I AM OPPORTUNITY CHARGING. and other side DO NOT UNPLUG - I AM NECESSARY CHARGING.

They are $2.50 each, laminated and look great.

I have my cell phone number on them and if necessary charging a time it's ok to unplug.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/224895876/electric-vehicle-charging-hangers?ref=shop_home_active_5

Easy Peasy.

Back