2015 Leaf max charge kwh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemathew

I have 2015 Nissan Leaf which I think has 24KWh battery. But when I charge the ChargePoint app says it took about 18KWh to go from 10%-100% charge (this is the battery % from the car). Which means that 18KWh for 90% charge and hence the 100% charge is only 20KWh? Where is the rest 4KWh. Is that reserved?

My battery still shows all 12 bars?

josemathew said:
I have 2015 Nissan Leaf which I think has 24KWh battery. But when I charge the ChargePoint app says it took about 18KWh to go from 10%-100% charge (this is the battery % from the car). Which means that 18KWh for 90% charge and hence the 100% charge is only 20KWh? Where is the rest 4KWh. Is that reserved?

My battery still shows all 12 bars?
Your battery can be down as much as 14% and still show all 12 bars (note that we're talking about the short bars just to the right of the long bars. The long bars show the % of current usable capacity your battery is charged to, while the short bars show how much of the battery's original usable capacity remains (when fully charged). I can't find it offhand, but someone will post a link to the picture which shows which is which. The 2015s seems to have about 22 kWh usable when new. 22 x .86 = 18.92 kWh. In addition, when the temperature drops, the battery's capacity is less. This is a temporary loss of capacity due to cold and it will return to full (current) capacity in warmer temperatures, as opposed to the permanent loss due to battery degradation due to heat, age, cycles etc.

In summary, your numbers aren't out of line for a battery down some capacity due to degradation, plus some temporary loss due to cold.

There's a lot of speculation about how much real capacity is there, but accept the following as a minimum. The highest charge reading I've seen on my car (when brand new) was 22.6 kWh (at 100%) This is from the leaf spy app and with an OBD reader. The car will set aside about 3% on the top and another 5% or so at the bottom. There's also some speculation that they also have additional hidden capacity on 2015 cars, in fact I took a reading last week at 10% that actually showed 17% capacity remaining in the leaf spy app, So your 10-100% charge, probably only equates to about 80% of capacity in the pack, maybe even less. 80% of 24kwh is about 18wkh, so I think your numbers are correct.

Back