Sticky Shifter...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmadden

I have a 2011 Leaf with a sticky shifter. I presume a previous owner spilled something that is causing the problem.

Here is the symptom: When I shift into R, the knob assembly sometime sticks. The vehicle goes into reverse and starts to move, but the electronics senses a fault because the shifter is in the wrong position, so it displays an error message and shifts to neutral. This can be dangerous if there is a car heading towards you and you lose reverse. Shifting into R again gives a few more seconds of reverse. D usually doesn't have a problem.

I'm an engineer and would just as soon disassemble the console to see if I can clean any residue before I pay for what will probably be an expensive repair at Nissan. I haven't found any disassembly instructions though. Anyone know how to disassemble the shifter console?

Gmadden said:
I have a 2011 Leaf with a sticky shifter. I presume a previous owner spilled something that is causing the problem.

Here is the symptom: When I shift into R, the knob assembly sometime sticks. The vehicle goes into reverse and starts to move, but the electronics senses a fault because the shifter is in the wrong position, so it displays an error message and shifts to neutral. This can be dangerous if there is a car heading towards you and you lose reverse. Shifting into R again gives a few more seconds of reverse. D usually doesn't have a problem.

I'm an engineer and would just as soon disassemble the console to see if I can clean any residue before I pay for what will probably be an expensive repair at Nissan. I haven't found any disassembly instructions though. Anyone know how to disassemble the shifter console?
Good write up here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14069&p=320256#p320256

mwalsh said:
^ I'll fix those pictures. Bloody FB keeps changing the server name where they're located, so the links fail. This is like the third time I've had to relink to them.

I'll find someplace else to host them.
Good, I thought it was my browser or yet another problem w/ windows 10.

You can find the 2011 service manuals online for free from one of the Nissan clubs with a little googling. The procedure for removal and installation of the "electronic shift selector" is in the TM manual, and references each of the other steps / manuals required.

Rob

Back