Chrysler recall on hacker vulnerability - Leaf issues?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjblazin

I could not find a hacking thread.

Is Leaf subject to the same vulnerabilities as shown in the announced Chrysler recall? I would expect all manufacturers would do own investigations. Given the almost continuous interaction of Leaf with data center, I would expect the potential to exist, if not already specifically countered.

LEAF uses an obsolete (2G) modem to send and receive text messages as its telematics system. I don't believe anyone has discovered a way to write to the CAN bus via the modem, but early off there were issues with CarWings sending too much information when an RSS request was initiated (location, speed, direction, etc... were included in the URL request- but only if you requested a feed, and the information was only visible to the owner of that feed if he looked at server access logs).

I fear the Chrysler "hack" was not very sophisticated, and this will only be the beginning, but I don't think LEAF suffers from the same vulnerability.

In a certain way, I wish we could "hack" the CAN bus to control the car... Using CarWings is rather limiting... At one point there was an effort to reach the bus via bluetooth using a modified OB2.

While anything is possible, unless the LEAF has cross compatible vulnerabilities, I think we are safe... Or maybe not... :roll:

Back