2014 SL - Rear seat belt stuck in retracted position.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD56

Hi Everyone,

I leased my 2014 SL at the end of July and have been loving it. Ran into one little issue though last night when we tried to take the family out to dinner.

The driver side rear seat belt is completely locked up in the retracted position. I fiddled with it for 10-15 minutes and could not get it to budge. I stuck my hand into the little cutout in the pillar where the seat belt comes out of and it feels like there is a sticky piece of tape in there or something, anyone know what this?

More importantly, has anyone had this issue / know of a way to resolve it?

Thanks

I had a similar problem with my passenger side front belt. Try to get it to retract just a hair more...doing this to mine freed it up. Then I pulled it all the way out to the stop a few times and let it roll back in, just to make sure it was OK. I haven't had the same problem since.

Actually, now I think about it, it might well have been my passenger side rear. Seems to me it was while I was chauffeuring my wife after her recent surgery, in which case she would have been in the back of the car (Doctor's orders not to ride up front).

kubel said:
Try retracting it more. The seatbelt enters this mode if it's fully extended. Fully retracting it will disable it.

I think this might have happened as a result of the seat belt being caught up the last time I folded the seat backs all the way forward.

The problem is that the belt with not retract or extent AT ALL, it is seriously frozen in place. It's maybe 4-5 inches out from being full retracted, but otherwise it's just frozen.

I made an appointment and took the car into Nissan service over the weekend. A few hours later I got a call telling me that the entire seat belt assembly needed to be replaced. The good news is that it's all covered under warranty so no harm no foul I guess.

When I take the car back to have the new belt assembly put in i'll try to get some more info on exactly what the cause was.

This is infuriating—the rear 2/3 seat was lowered to haul cargo, and now it cannot be raised to seat a passenger because the seat belt is stuck/stopping it. I have somewhere to go today with three kids, and it appears that the two options I have are a) cut the seat belt, or b)somehow reach my hand down to loosen the nut that is in a narrow spot that would require a specially-angled socket wrench. Fail, Nissan.

Back