increase mileage allowance to 15000 mile annually

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafbiang

Does anyone know if it is allowed to increase mileage allowance from 12000 to 15000 miles annually after the lease has just started? I just leased my leaf 2015 for a week. so I want to how much I am expected to pay to increase lease annual allowance by 3000 miles.

Thanks!

leafbiang said:
Does anyone know if it is allowed to increase mileage allowance from 12000 to 15000 miles annually after the lease has just started? I just leased my leaf 2015 for a week. so I want to how much I am expected to pay to increase lease annual allowance by 3000 miles.

I can't help with the first part of your question, but an NMAC customer service rep told me a couple of months ago that the cost of buying the extra miles as part of the lease was 10 cents a mile, i.e. $300/year for the extra 3k miles/year. (So, $600 on a 2 year lease, $900 on a 3 year). If you paid for the same number of miles on the back end of the lease at 15 cents per mile it would cost you $900 on the two year lease and $1350 for the three year lease...

We got into this discussion because, according to her, almost all of the leaf leases have a 15 cents/mile cost for extra miles at the end of the lease. For whatever reason my contract was written specifying 10 cents/mile for those extra miles... so there would have been no advantage to me to prepay for more than 12k miles/year.

Sadly, I may not even hit the 24k mark based on my current projections over the first 3 months I've had the car. I drive the Leaf every chance I get, but it looks like I'll only be reaching the 22-23k mark in 24 months.

I have no problem to use all allowed mileage. My quoted cost is 50 cents per additional mile. I do not like those guys to eat their words; it was $15-20 per month as they told me. :eek:

I rolled 11,000 miles in 7 months and 2 weeks. I should have no issues using all my 45,000 miles in 3 years.

FYI; LEAF I went 44,598 miles in 35 months and a week. LEAF I had the advantage of not being used for work until its 14th month. At that time, I had just under 13,000 miles on it. I fear my 45,000 miles will only last me about 28 months...

leafbiang said:
My quoted cost is 50 cents per additional mile.

50 cents/additional mile is VERY high. As already mentioned, a typical NMAC over mileage penalty is 15 cents/mile. GM's lease special for the Spark EV was 25 cents/mile, and I've seen a few luxury car "too good to be true" deals with ridiculously low mileage allowances (like 8k/year) and 35 cent/mile penalties for over mileage.

Also, was this quote to add additional mileage up front, or is this the penalty calculated at lease-end? If it's the former, as mentioned above it's a terrible deal. If it's the latter, I'd re-read your contract.

leafbiang said:
My quoted cost is 50 cents per additional mile. I do not like those guys to eat their words; it was $15-20 per month as they told me. :eek:
Check your Lease Agreement. I suspect that it is 15 cents per mile. There is usually no advantage to paying for the miles up front. You don't get a break. It's the same amount as paying 15 cents per mile at lease end for the miles over limit. If you're worried about it, estimate how much it will be and add that amount to a savings account.

Back