My Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdobroth

My husband has been working in the solar industry for ten years and we are very supportive of the EV revolution. I committed to purchasing an EV this year and was very excited to do so. We purchased a new 2013 Nissan Leaf from a local dealership in Albuquerque, NM on 4/22/14. I was very careful to research the vehicle, range parameters, and discussed my current 58 mile commute with the dealership to ensure that this would be a viable choice for our family. As I drove my new Nissan Leaf home, I was unable to make it 55 mile in the B mode (no ac, no heat, no radio, no heated seats). I immediately contacted the dealership to let them know of my experience and my concerns. I was told that the range had to be explained by "my driving style" and that the car should have made it. Two more tries and two more failures in making a 55 mile commute, the second of which left me in a hail storm, parked in a questionable location with a small child that I had to carry 1/2 mile home. I then brought the car back to the dealership. Much to my relief, the GM of the dealership informed me that they were in the business of having happy customers and informed me that I could pick another Nissan Leaf to see if it would fit my needs and that I would be able to keep the 2nd vehicle if it was found to meet my needs. The result- I loved the car, no problems with completion of a 58 mile commute, no range anxiety, miles to spare. My "driving style" in the 2nd car: 70-75 miles per hr, radio, AC, + accessory use. I was a very happy customer at this point. Sadly, when I went in to the dealership to sign the update the paperwork, I was told that I had to come back in a week and then told I would have to return the second car that was working and take a loaner car instead. I did not accept the loaner and stated that I wanted them to stand behind their product. Several days later, Nissan's way of taking care of the customer several weeks later was as follows:
1. they told me that I was stuck with the first new car that seems to have battery problems ( the one that I drove unsuccessfully for a total of 3 days), has been in Nissan's possession for 3 months (yes...I have still been making $500 payments for a car that I don't have to protect my credit).
2. they generously offered to give me $4,000 trade in value for the $34,000 Leaf if I purchased a new gas vehicle from them.
3. Nissan reneged on the GM's offer to provide me with a working Nissan Leaf
4. While many of the parameters listed above are covered under NM lemon law, Nissan has refused to take care of the customer in the end.

my sympathies. that is a very ugly story.
and proves again what is wrong with many many dealerships. the buck rules all.

It sounds like the 2013 Leaf already had a significantly degraded battery. Are you aware of the heat degradation issues with 2011 thru 2014 LEAFs? Either that, or the dealer may have kept it at 100% charge for months on end. I suspect a combination of the 2. Its a shame you couldn't get a nearby Leaf owner to test the battery with LeafSpy before returning it.

You have an ugly tale to tell! If possible, use the Lemon Law and return the Leaf to that dealership. I would not purchase from them again, as they do not have customer satisfaction in mind. Never mind any concerns for getting your children home!!

I would not give up on the Leaf, though....rather, wait and get a 2015 model since all are Anticpated to have an improved battery chemistry that *should* minimize hot weather capacity degradation! an important consideration for Albuquerque!

I live in SoCal near the beach and have had no problems and still routinely get 80 miles before LBW. With the correct car (and not a lemon), the Leaf is a terrific commuter vehicle.

I am sorry the OP is in such a bad situation and has encountered a dealer that wasn't more helpful in providing a properly informed LEAF purchasing decision.
Unfortunately most dealer sales people just aren't that well informed.

LEAF buyers unfortunately have to do extensive reading on MNL and obtain a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and LEAF Spy android app to do it right. I think to do it right really requires at least 100 hours of study.
Multiple people come to MNL every week needing this help and fortunately many do get great help and make an informed choice.

Unfortunately the OP was not adequately informed.
First 58 miles is near the limits of what you can expect from a 2013 LEAF at 75 mph even if the vehicle battery had been optimally stored in the hot climate.
See the Range Chart http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Close for a brand new just manufactured LEAF in perfect condition with NO AC use.
The 2013 is possibly as much as 18 months old. LEAF batteries degrade with time whether used or not, and degrade faster in hot climates, and degrade even faster if left at 100% charge for lengthy periods.

The LEAF is not suitable for what the OP was expecting it to do, especially not time aged in a hot environment car lot situation for 18 months.
The LEAF is at best nominally a 40 to 60 mile range vehicle and in cold weather is a 30 to 35 mile range vehicle after two to three years. And in Arizona heat it can happen after only one year even if you don't drive it.

I wish the OP the best of luck in resolving the problem.
The info I have shared is part of what they need to understand in evaluating how to proceed.

Unfortunately the OP was not adequately informed.
First 58 miles is near the limits of what you can expect from a 2013 LEAF at 75 mph even if the vehicle battery had been optimally stored in the hot climate.
See the Range Chart viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293.

You may have misread the post. She actually did achieve that range with the second Leaf, after having failed to do so without using the A/C in the first Leaf. It isn't clear what year the second Leaf was, though.

I would not recommend a Leaf to anyone with a 58 mile commute, there will be anxiety every day
It may make it now and on a good day, but there will be problems and limits down the road.

Mx5racer said:
I would not recommend a Leaf to anyone with a 58 mile commute, there will be anxiety every day
It may make it now and on a good day, but there will be problems and limits down the road.
A 58 mile commute would be fine when Leaf is new if you drive 55 MPH and don't have a cold climate to contend with in the winter, but with battery degradation (even the Lizard battery) you can expect to run into trouble in a couple of years. My 40 mile commute and 50 mile drive on weekends is the maximum I would recommend. Agree with your assessment.

LeftieBiker said:
You may have misread the post. She actually did achieve that range with the second Leaf, after having failed to do so without using the A/C in the first Leaf. It isn't clear what year the second Leaf was, though.
I recognize the second unknown year LEAF made the range.
The point is that capacity degradation due to time was probably the difference.
Buying a vehicle that might work initially and then would not meet their needs a year later is not a solution.
The LEAF does not do what they want it to do.
It can only do their needed range if they slow down a lot, and then it will only work for a couple years at most.

Back