2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
SageBrush said:
Of course Tesla in unprofitable. Just look at what they have built in the last year or so:
A Gigafactory !!
A completely re-tooled car factory
A rapidly expanding SuperCharger network
R&D of an electric Semi and the Model Y

They are poring every penny of profit (and more) into growth.

Amazon has done the same, for years.

Don't bother with Lorenfb , he is here only to troll Tesla and astroturf.

He’s over the top, yes, but it’s ironic that you’d say that on a forum dedicated to the Nissan Leaf in a thread where the OP admitted to only being here to troll Leaf owners as revenge for trolling he saw on Tesla forums.

Just ignore the guy. His breathless ::concern:: for Tesla’s financial well-being is just another fishing tactic. Get the hook out of your cheek.

jonathanfields4ever said:
a thread where the OP admitted to only being here to troll Leaf owners as revenge for trolling he saw on Tesla forums.
This thread ? Then you are talking about me, and you are an idiot. I participate in this forum because I own a LEAF and I criticize Nissan and its battery because I think Nissan customer support is awful and the battery is a poor design foisted on the ignorant.

You are one of the suckers come lately, which is fine. It was your money. Other potential buyers may re-evaluate after reading criticism by me and others instead of an echo chamber of fools stroking each other's bruised egos. You are so far gone, you cannot even accept the OP as a table of facts because they do not compliment your car choice.

SageBrush said:
a thread where the OP admitted to only being here to troll Leaf owners as revenge for trolling he saw on Tesla forums.
This thread ? Then you are talking about me, and you are an idiot. I participate in this forum because I own a LEAF and I criticize Nissan and its battery because I think Nissan customer support is awful and the battery is a poor design foisted on the ignorant.

You are one of the suckers come lately, which is fine. It was your money. Other potential buyers may re-evaluate after reading criticism by me and others instead of an echo chamber of fools stroking each other's bruised egos. You are so far gone, you cannot even accept the OP as a table of facts because they do not compliment your car choice.

Sick. Or as they say in Japan, “Baka”.

lkkms2 said:
SageBrush said:

Yes, it's unfortunate that some find a need for an ad hominem when posting. Sorry to see you attacked like that on MNL.

SageBrush said:
Of course Tesla in unprofitable. Just look at what they have built in the last year or so:
A Gigafactory !!
A completely re-tooled car factory
A rapidly expanding SuperCharger network
R&D of an electric Semi and the Model Y

They are poring every penny of profit (and more) into growth.

Amazon has done the same, for years.

When they get to "one penny" let me know :lol:

Has it ever occured to any of you that Tesla doesn't need to make a profit ever? That it could even go bankrupt? Tesla goes bankrupt, SpaceX steps in, buys whatever is left of the company and Musk continues to make electric cars only now without the debt overhead. It's not likely but possible. In addition he regains control of the company!

If Elon Musk's goal is to wean us off oil and coal and not make himself another huge fortune, Tesla can stumble along at breakeven for a long time. The stock may go into the weeds in the process but the cars still get built. Most of the debt financing is already in place and the factories are already built. Turning a profit would make it easier to expand but isn't a showstopper if he doesn't. Jf he does intend to make another fortune then he needs to make Tesla profitable in the long run, say over the next 10 years (oddly enough that's how long it takes for all his options to vest).

johnlocke said:
Has it ever occured to any of you that Tesla doesn't need to make a profit ever? That it could even go bankrupt? Tesla goes bankrupt, SpaceX steps in, buys whatever is left of the company and Musk continues to make electric cars only now without the debt overhead. It's not likely but possible. In addition he regains control of the company!

If Elon Musk's goal is to wean us off oil and coal and not make himself another huge fortune, Tesla can stumble along at breakeven for a long time. The stock may go into the weeds in the process but the cars still get built. Most of the debt financing is already in place and the factories are already built. Turning a profit would make it easier to expand but isn't a showstopper if he doesn't. Jf he does intend to make another fortune then he needs to make Tesla profitable in the long run, say over the next 10 years (oddly enough that's how long it takes for all his options to vest).

You won't win an argument from some very bitter people here that have displaced anger over Tesla envy, we all know who that is here and the foaming at the mouth will continue endlessly and that person will still be driving their LEAF with 10% capacity down the road. It's not that some can't see the Tesla business model it's that they refuse to admit is and use ridiculous arguments and FUD to make them feel better. One has to also ask why some have so much hate for a company, my guess it's all envy based nonsense but funny to read.

EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Tesla will be fine. They have resources for more cash if they need it.

Seems few people are worried about this except the FUD mongers:)

What Tesla is doing is rewriting an entire industry. All we hear is "they can't do that!" AND "They can do that?"

This means they are rewriting the book on car sales. When a business does that to this level, they don't need to make money. Ask Amazon if you have any questions about that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Tesla will be fine. They have resources for more cash if they need it.

Seems few people are worried about this except the FUD mongers:)

What Tesla is doing is rewriting an entire industry. All we hear is "they can't do that!" AND "They can do that?"

This means they are rewriting the book on car sales. When a business does that to this level, they don't need to make money. Ask Amazon if you have any questions about that.

Exactly but some folks can't think big picture unfortunately.....

SageBrush said:

Wow, more attacks from SageBrush. Imagine that.

Quit projecting your fanboyism on me. I told you the Model 3 is a great car and I’d get one were it available where I live. But it isn’t and it won’t be for two or three years. Until then I’m ready to be off gas, I have a solar array, my commute is only 50km, the quick charging network is unlimited use for $20 a month for domestic vehicles, and I got a $4000 EV subsidy deposited directly into my bank account.

lkkms2 said:
SageBrush said:

GFY, fanboy. I’m the only one on here not trying to participate in a circle jerk.

SageBrush said:

Quit projecting your fanboyism on me. I told you the Model 3 is a great car and I’d get one were it available where I live. But it isn’t and it won’t be for two or three years. Until then I’m ready to be off gas, I have a solar array, my commute is only 50km, the quick charging network is unlimited use for $20 a month for domestic vehicles, and I got a $4000 EV subsidy deposited directly into my bank account.

I am not the one who started the attacks. Look above and note who started the name calling. That would be you.

Despite what you probably think, I am a fan of any person who owns an EV, and a superfan of anybody with an EV and PV. The specific car choice is unimportant. So while I find much to dislike when it comes to NIssan and the LEAF and I worry that they are harming the EV revolution by providing poor value, my reservations are not directed at you.

As I have told you before, I hope you have a great experience with the LEAF. I'll be delighted to find out that the car is brilliant and working as well in 10-15 years as it does today. I just have grave doubts that will be the case. I hope to be proven wrong.

SageBrush said:
SageBrush said:

I am not the one who started the attacks. Look above and note who started the name calling. That would be you.

Despite what you probably think, I am a fan of any person who owns an EV, and a superfan of anybody with an EV and PV. The specific car choice is unimportant. So while I find much to dislike when it comes to NIssan and the LEAF and I worry that they are harming the EV revolution by providing poor value, my reservations are not directed at you.

As I have told you before, I hope you have a great experience with the LEAF. I'll be delighted to find out that the car is brilliant and working as well in 10-15 years as it does today. I just have grave doubts that will be the case. I hope to be proven wrong.

Are you incapable of telling the truth, or do you just have trouble remembering? You’ve been attacking people since the middle of the thread, and you said you only started this here in response to “Ed the Tesla troll” who was bothering you on another forum.

SageBrush said:

Are you incapable of telling the truth, or do you just have trouble remembering? You’ve been attacking people since the middle of the thread, and you said you only started this here in response to “Ed the Tesla troll” who was bothering you on another forum.

No problems with the truth, and my memory is fine -- thanks for asking
You asked me why I started this thread.
I answered (more politely than you deserve) that I decided to look into "Ed the Tesla troll"s assertion that the Tesla Model 3 SR was a stripped trim. That statement happened on this forum. I put enough work into it that I posted the results.

You have a problem, and I'm tired of you. Welcome to my ignore list.

armmynissanleaf said:
I think the biggest comparison point is this. Leaf is available now, Model 3 is not (you have to stand in a long line).
....snip....
Therefore, current Leaf is a lot of advantages against Model 3 even if the Leaf gets fewer miles per charge.
Advantages? does the wait for a new Model 3 adequately offset the Leaf's notorious capacity loss?
Leaf proves one thing - the more modules you tightly pack together (20kW, 30kW, 40kW) the faster the pack cooks, & thus, the faster range decreases.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116020_nissan-leaf-30-kwh-battery-decline-3-times-that-of-earlier-electric-cars-study
That's an advantage? ....
So, to offset crappy historical range degradation - what has Nissan done to 40kWh cars? They throttle CHAdeMO's typical/paltry charge speed from 40kW down to ~20kW's.
OTOH, the Model 3 can suck down over 116kW's - consistently - which will give you 200 miles in just 30 minutes. True X-country capability.
AND - Tesla has true infrastructure .... not like one-zees / two-zees CHAdeMO's that may or may not be working when you arrive, or they're already in use, or ICE'd.
There are Teslas on the road now that have traveled 1/4 - 1/3 of a MILLION miles - losing just 10% capacity on average. Ever keep ANY car for over 250K - 300K miles?
So - what are those advantages again? Is a car that you can get 'now' - albeit proven to cook itself - really an advantage?
At 80K miles. Our Gid meter indicates we're about to loose bar 5. Most of us early Leafers have dumped their 2011 turd-mobiles. Not us ... we won't bother getting a new $5K pack, because the, all we'd have at bezr, is a $4Kcar. NOBODY baby's their Leaf's charging like we've done. Yet here we are. Go Nissan
(shaking head)

hill said:
So - what are those advantages again? Is a car that you can get 'now' - albeit proven to cook itself - really an advantage?
At 80K miles. Our Gid meter indicates we're about to loose bar 5. NOBODY baby's their Leaf's charging like we've done. Go Nissan
(shaking head)
Why are you holding back ?
Tell us how you really feel :D

Needless to say, I agree with you. It's just amusing to read someone even more blunt.

hill said:
armmynissanleaf said:
I think the biggest comparison point is this. Leaf is available now, Model 3 is not (you have to stand in a long line).
....snip....
Therefore, current Leaf is a lot of advantages against Model 3 even if the Leaf gets fewer miles per charge.
Advantages? does the wait for a new Model 3 adequately offset the Leaf's notorious capacity loss?
Leaf proves one thing - the more modules you tightly pack together (20kW, 30kW, 40kW) the faster the pack cooks, & thus, the faster range decreases.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1116020_nissan-leaf-30-kwh-battery-decline-3-times-that-of-earlier-electric-cars-study
That's an advantage? ....
So, to offset crappy historical range degradation - what has Nissan done to 40kWh cars? They throttle CHAdeMO's typical/paltry charge speed from 40kW down to ~20kW's.
OTOH, the Model 3 can suck down over 116kW's - consistently - which will give you 200 miles in just 30 minutes. True X-country capability.
AND - Tesla has true infrastructure .... not like one-zees / two-zees CHAdeMO's that may or may not be working when you arrive, or they're already in use, or ICE'd.
There are Teslas on the road now that have traveled 1/4 - 1/3 of a MILLION miles - losing just 10% capacity on average. Ever keep ANY car for over 250K - 300K miles?
At 80K miles. Our Gid meter indicates we're about to loose bar 5. Most of us early Leafers have dumped their 2011 turd-mobiles. Not us ... we won't bother getting a new $5K pack, because the, all we'd have at bezr, is a $4Kcar. NOBODY baby's their Leaf's charging like we've done. Yet here we are. Go Nissan
(shaking head)

Hey long time no hear!

I am quite frankly shocked that you did not jump to Tesla a long time ago. Of all the people I expected, you were near the top of the list.

So are you getting a 3?

SageBrush said:
.......snip...... It's just amusing to read someone even more blunt.
well the shrinks point out the different stages in our thinking that allows for a mental paradigm shift in our thinking. When confronted with facts that fly in the face of our thinking we (in typical order) ;
Deny
Enrage
Lash back
Face depression with the truth
Then we finally accept
It doesn't matter - whether we're realizing alcoholism, cult membership, drug addiction, facing political/economic collaps .... or that things/people we wrongly trusted were not worthy of that trust ....
Hey! Can you tell there are way too many shrinks in my family?
:D

Back