Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18_LEAF_dual_speedometerwcruise.jpg

jeanlucb said:
I was hoping that the 2018 models would be better but two Chevy dealers told me the seats were the same, so I did not try an '18. Can you provide more details? Trim, year, etc?
Them dealers. They will tell you anything as long as it moves metal.

The seats are fixed in both available 2018 trims, I sat in both and that was the very 1st thing I looked at - and very closely - because I had to pay to get them fixed in our 2017 to a tune of $900. Now they're like Cadillac. The 2018 are fixed almost to a fault - they're stuffed to the gills, i.e. quite firm, but the bolster issue is definitely history.

I mean, people walked away from '17 Bolt b/c they could not sit in it. Lost sales there. GM would not have any of it, so they had to jump on it and fast.

I will revisit Leaf as 3rd iteration in about 5 years? By then, it's going to be a lot of fun choosing 400-mile EV and I'm not betting my bottom dollar it's going to be Nissan who gets my buck.

OrientExpress said:
For those of you that want the digital speedometer option in the LEAF2, you just need to go to the screen that has it.

18_LEAF_dual_speedometer.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic. Now that I get to look at it more closely it confirms my original opinion if it. It reminds me of Spark EV of which I wrote it looked like it was designed by a bunch of preschoolers.

The items are just tossed at the canvas, and the offset analog speedo is just dumb. The gestalt of the whole setup is dissonant, to the point of confusing. I know there isn't a whole lot of real estate there, but it needs to be more thoughtful. They messed it up along bunch of other items I described in my missive above.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nubo said:
ILETRIC said:
Here is the worst part: you cant's sit and drive in the driver's seat. There is NO PLACE to put your right knee. It is squeezed by the very intruding, and might I say unnecessary center console wall you cannot negotiate. My 5 min drive was a true torture, rubbing against it and some sort of protrusion running along the top of it like a sick cherry on a bad pie.

It is absurd to have that rigid and non-functional buttress intrude into the cabin legroom space the way it does. Because of some arbitrary "design language"? Gah.

There is no "non functionality" here. Its literally jam packed with buttons, switches, cupholders and cubby holes. The ideology is rather transparent.

That bony "rib" isn't needed for any of that, unless one plans on dumping a bag of apples in front of all of those switches. It's just there because some designer had "flying wing" on the brain.

OrientExpress said:
It seems that the center console issue only affects those that are larger than the 95th percentile human, or have larger mid-section girth.

One doesn't have to be a freak or obese to want to move their legs into different positions for comfort during a drive. That is space that shouldn't be intruded upon; especially as there is no significant functionality provided by doing so. Must have been the same designer that came up with the ridiculous binnacle change.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. That MPH display is too small to be useful - at that point the crappy analog speedo is easier to read.

I thought the 70 MPH shown in that picture is the CC... err... PPA set speed and not the car's current speed.

I could be mistaken but IIRC, the green value that reads 70 MPH in the pic went up and down in real time as I pressed accel/decel and it didn't change due to PPA speeding me up/slowing me down due to traffic.

I'm skimming the '18 Leaf manual pages 5-83 thru 5-106 and that number is referred to as the set speed indicator.

Attached excerpt from 2 pages.
ssa.png

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. That MPH display is too small to be useful - at that point the crappy analog speedo is easier to read.

I thought the 70 MPH shown in that picture is the CC... err... PPA set speed and not the car's current speed.

I could be mistaken but IIRC, the green value that reads 70 MPH in the pic went up and down in real time as I pressed accel/decel and it didn't change due to PPA speeding me up/slowing me down due to traffic.

I'm skimming the '18 Leaf manual pages 5-83 thru 5-106 and that number is referred to as the set speed indicator.

Attached excerpt from 2 pages.

it is the set speed and does not change so like a clock its right... a few times

Nubo said:
One doesn't have to be a freak or obese to want to move their legs into different positions for comfort during a drive. That is space that shouldn't be intruded upon; especially as there is no significant functionality provided by doing so. Must have been the same designer that came up with the ridiculous binnacle change.

There is an inch of room between the console and my leg, I don't see the problem.

OrientExpress said:
Nubo said:

There is an inch of room between the console and my leg, I don't see the problem.

We short and thin people got it made! MIne is fine as well!

ILETRIC said:
jeanlucb said:
I was hoping that the 2018 models would be better but two Chevy dealers told me the seats were the same, so I did not try an '18. Can you provide more details? Trim, year, etc?
Them dealers. They will tell you anything as long as it moves metal.

Respectfully, that does not make sense. Two CHEVY dealers told me to not come to their dealership because the seats were the same. That's not going to help them move metal.

OrientExpress said:
I follow the Bolt, have sat in the new car and the '18 has the same seats as before.

Do you mean the same seats with the same padding and protruding bolt issues, or just that the seat design is the same? If the latter, no one is claiming a design change, just an improvement in quality control.

Rinse and repeat: I sat in 2 Bolts '18 and BOTH, even the cloth one were fixed. They seem to have also lowered the height of the left (driver side) bolster, which was a real problem, and put more material in the seat's center. With leather it's so much material now it seems too stuffed, and somewhat too firm for my taste. I am hoping seat will soften with age.

There were no front seat issues in these 2 cars I sat in as compared to our '17 we leased Jan 2017.

I suggest that you sit in all Bolts on the lot to check out the differences if any. As long as it's not a '17 unit it should be ok. The only variable might be date of manufacture vs. date of the fix. I cannot vouch for when the new seats began to appear in the '18 vehicles.

Not all of the '17 Bolt seats are bad. The problem is that you have to sit in a specific car, and then drive it for a while if it passes the first test, to ensure that the car you get actually has tolerable seats. That precludes getting one from a distant dealership, or ordering one (now academic).

Figured I throw my 2 cents in. I totally agree with the people complaining about the leg room. I just test drove the 2018 SV and noticed this immediately, what a huge let down. It just seems so unnecessary for that Y-shaped portion to expand so much into the leg room space. I'm only 5'10" and do not have super long legs, and it became uncomfortable 15 mins into the drive. My father already complains about the lack of leg room in my 2014 SL, there's literally no way I would realistically be able to drive him around, or have him drive my car. I was already on the fence between the Leaf and Bolt, my choice is now clear.

kevintylernelson said:
Figured I throw my 2 cents in. I totally agree with the people complaining about the leg room. I just test drove the 2018 SV and noticed this immediately, what a huge let down. It just seems so unnecessary for that Y-shaped portion to expand so much into the leg room space. I'm only 5'10" and do not have super long legs, and it became uncomfortable 15 mins into the drive. My father already complains about the lack of leg room in my 2014 SL, there's literally no way I would realistically be able to drive him around, or have him drive my car. I was already on the fence between the Leaf and Bolt, my choice is now clear.

They really should have tried to move the rear seats back and made some things in the cabin smaller. The trunk is massive. The Leaf is much bigger than the Note, but actually has less interior space.

Back