What is this switch?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

I went by the dealer today and was surprised to find that they had 5 Leaf's on the lot. 4 cars for sale and 1 demo car. With my car that made 6. One of the cars had an interesting switch on the passenger seat. There was not a corresponding switch on the driver seat, and none of the other cars had this switch. All cars were listed as 2011 and there was nothing in the options list that looked like it could be for this switch. I'm curious if anybody knows what it is for. The leaf sales guy was not on site (it was 8pm and they were just closing up shop). The only sales guy left had no idea.

20111008-205552.jpg

20111008-204708.jpg

20111008-204758.jpg

I should have, but did not look to see if the switches were there. I thought that it might have something to do with seat heaters, but I did not see anything on the window sticker about cold weather package or seat heaters, and I thought it was an odd place to put the switch, so I just moved on. I did not even think about rear seat heater switch. Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. Perhaps we can get somebody to confirm this.

Its the switch for the back seat heater. It must have the cold weather package, most likely a 2012 Leaf.

ovev said:
Its the switch for the back seat heater. It must have the cold weather package, most likely a 2012 Leaf.

The window sticker most definitely said 2011 and no wording about cold weather package or seat heaters. I guess the sticker could be incorrect, or the option was on some of the later 2011 models, and its not listed on the sticker.

Having test drove an '11 demo recently with Cold Weather Package installed (and having back seat passengers check it out) it is definitely the switch for the back seat heaters --they didn't leave it on long but it appears to just heat the bottom cushion and not the seat backs.

That's a real nice collection of new Leafs at that dealership, no wonder we can't find them anywhere else. Surprised to see that many in one place what with the quotas some are experiencing.

Wonder if that car has just the seat heaters, or if it has the entire cold weather package with the battery warmer.

Is there supposed to be any override switch, or any type of display indication which tells whether the battery heater is on or not?

I went by to take a closer look today.

2011 Nissan LEAF SL CW
Complete ColdWeather Package, incl. Battery Heater, heated steering wheel, heated rear- & front-seats. Plus lots of the normal accessories (seems like all the ones available).

MSRP:
Base Retail $ 34,650.00
Splash Guards $ 140.00
Zero Emissions Graphic $ 130.00
QC Port $ 700.00
FloorMats & Cargo Area Mat $ 170.00
Recycle/Organizer Pkg $ 225.00
Hologram KickPlates $ 125.00
Safety Kit $ 75.00
Destination Charges $ 850.00
Total $ 37,065.00

Available for Sale. Pearl with ZeroEmissions logo. Vin 9028.

Pictures of Sticker (sorry for non-smart cell phone quality): http://img35.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=101111153115.jpg

LEAFer said:
I went by to take a closer look today.

2011 Nissan LEAF SL CW

I missed the CW at the end and I only looked at the options section of the sicker. You think it would have been listed as an option and not standard....but I guess it is standard on the CW version. Missed the section with the heated battery, steering wheel and seats. It was dark and they were trying to kick me out to lock up when I was there. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the update.

palmermd said:
It was dark and they were trying to kick me out to lock up when I was there. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the update.
:lol: But you don't really need an excuse :) Glad to help ! I was curious myself.

Strange that there's only one switch (on the left side of the passenger seat) for the entire rear-seating area. And it's apparently a hi-lo-off version. And I didn't ask to look at the inside to see where the switches are for the front seats and steering wheel.

Nice that they put it there. Gives the driver the control over use of that feature.
rear seat passengers can reach it and if they leave it on you can turn it off from the drivers seat.

if the switch was in the way back, a careless passenger could leave it on and you might forget about it.

I think it heats the bottom cushions in the back only. Not the upper seat back

kmp647 said:
Nice that they put it there. Gives the driver the control over use of that feature.
rear seat passengers can reach it and if they leave it on you can turn it off from the drivers seat.

if the switch was in the way back, a careless passenger could leave it on and you might forget about it.

I think it heats the bottom cushions in the back only. Not the upper seat back

That's what we thought when we took a test drive -- one thing I'd be curious of is if somewhere on the dash they indicate that a seat heater is in use or simply glancing over at the side of the passenger seat will clearly show it's on (by a light illuminating, it's position or both)??

The switch is illuminated when the heater is switched on. No additional indicators on the dash, etc. The same goes for the steering wheel and front seat heaters.

There is no switch for a battery warmer as far as I can tell, if such a thing exists, in my 2012 SL.

Back