J1772 120v Adapter Photo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Many of you have seen this Nissan PowerPoint deck that has been floating around. However, this particular version from March 2010 has a photo of the 120v J1772 coupler with an in-line EVSE...Interesting....

The photo is on Page 20...

http://www.roguevalleycleancities.org/images/events.html/March10/Nissan%20Leaf%20EV%20Zero%20Emission_March%202010.pdf

Randy said:
Many of you have seen this Nissan PowerPoint deck that has been floating around. However, this particular version from March 2010 has a photo of the 120v J1772 coupler with an in-line EVSE...Interesting....

The photo is on Page 20...

http://www.roguevalleycleancities.org/images/events.html/March10/Nissan%20Leaf%20EV%20Zero%20Emission_March%202010.pdf

Interesting - this pdf is updated compared to earlier March pdf we have seen. I'll include it in the other thread.

Randy,
That is a great slide show, thanks for posting. I had not seen the direct cost per miles posted from Nissan before. At $3 per gallon price, the cost of fueling was 20-30% of the gas powered vehicle.

I'm glad to see they updated the slide on page 24 of the PDF, and are now including "State of Massachusetts" as one of their partnerships, now if we can only get the State Government and National Grid off their collective a---s to actually do something about the infrastrutrue :(

Note: they should call it the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts", technicaly MA and PA are both "Commonwealths" (you couldn't guess that from our tax rate!)

I sure wish Pennsylvania would join that list on the slide. Nice catch on the "Commonwealth". Virginia is the only other state I know of that has the title as well. (In addition to Massachusetts/Pennsylvania of course!)

sjfotos said:
I sure wish Pennsylvania would join that list on the slide. Nice catch on the "Commonwealth". Virginia is the only other state I know of that has the title as well. (In addition to Massachusetts/Pennsylvania of course!)

From wiki ...

U.S. states
Main article: Commonwealth (U.S. state)
Four states in the United States officially designate themselves as "commonwealths":

Kentucky is designated a Commonwealth by the Kentucky Constitution and is known as the "Commonwealth of Kentucky."[3]

Massachusetts is a Commonwealth,[4] declaring itself as such in its constitution, which states that "The body politic is formed by a voluntary association of individuals: it is a social compact, by which the whole people covenants with each citizen, and each citizen with the whole people, that all shall be governed by certain laws for the common good."

Pennsylvania uses the "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" as its official title.[5]

Virginia has been known as the "Commonwealth of Virginia"[6] since before joining the United States.[1]

Leave it to Wikipedia, there are actually 4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth

U.S. states
Main article: Commonwealth (U.S. state)
Four states in the United States officially designate themselves as "commonwealths":

Kentucky is designated a Commonwealth by the Kentucky Constitution and is known as the "Commonwealth of Kentucky."[3]
Massachusetts is a Commonwealth,[4] declaring itself as such in its constitution, which states that "The body politic is formed by a voluntary association of individuals: it is a social compact, by which the whole people covenants with each citizen, and each citizen with the whole people, that all shall be governed by certain laws for the common good."
Pennsylvania uses the "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" as its official title.[5]
Virginia has been known as the "Commonwealth of Virginia"[6] since before joining the United States.[1]

Just as I suspected. If you get a free charger:

• Participants agree to have infrastructure usage monitored for 2
year period

Makes perfect sense. Glad I thought of it!! :lol:

Yes, and it's not even a "charger", it's an "EVSE", just an interface between your household 240V power and the car, protection equipment really.

Anyone know whether it runs it through a transformer to boost the voltage, or whether the Leaf's charger can charge from a single leg of a split-phase circuit (i.e., 120V)?

No external transformer, the Leaf can "eat" 120 or 240.

Yes, possibly an internal transformer, but most likely not, considering the weight and cost of the transformer compared to the low cost and weight of modern 100-250v AC to DC conversion circuitry.

mitch672 said:
Yes, and it's not even a "charger", it's an "EVSE", just an interface between your household 240V power and the car, protection equipment really.

You know, we might as well give up on that one. I guarantee no matter hard you try to get them to do otherwise, the whole world is going to refer to that box on the garage wall as "the charger".

Maybe the ESVE "charging station" will just become a large "wall wart", or an "edie-hose"?

Will somebody make an ESVE with a built-in display of the kWh that "flow" through it?

garygid said:
Maybe the ESVE "charging station" will just become a large "wall wart", or an "edie-hose"?

Will somebody make an ESVE with a built-in display of the kWh that "flow" through it?

You can get one of these for $200 and monitor just the 240V circuit breaker the EVSE is connected to, even remotely via the web via google power meter

http://www.theenergydetective.com/store/teds/model-5000-g.html

you can also get a small local LCD display for it, and monitor up to 4 separate circuits, such as your PV system, a subpanel to another building (like a garage) etc.

KarenRei said:
Anyone know whether it runs it through a transformer to boost the voltage, or whether the Leaf's charger can charge from a single leg of a split-phase circuit (i.e., 120V)?

I think it's clear that the Leaf can recharge from a single leg as that's the usual way to provide 120V 'house current', yes?

Are you asking if the EVSE has a transformer or if there's one in the car somewhere?

If the EVSE...the Aerovironment installation videos show the inside of the EVSE and there's no large transformer there. The 120V/Level 1 cord isn't likely to do any voltage conversion either. The on-board charger system should be capable of drawing from both 120V and 240V. This is backed-up in the J1772 document.

If the car...the car could easily have a transformer if necessary. I have read (but cannot personally confirm) that the Hughes drive system installed in US Electricar vehicles used the motor windings as part of the charging system. AC Propulsion describes this configuration in their Reductive system where motor windings and drive system components are used as the power section of a high-power charger.

Andy

Even though making double-use of the regen system to charge the car is a simple, obvious idea, AC Prop... seems to have patented a method covering something like that.

So, others might not be doing "that" to avoid the patent issues?

However, using the charger system to do the regen ... might that be OK?
I do not remember the exact claims of the patent well enough to say.

Sorry, Gary - I did not say 'regen' - I said 'charging system' I.E. "for use when the vehicle is stationary and connected to an alternating current source for the purpose of recharging the traction battery".

The US Electricar Prizms and S10s built in around 1994 appear to also use the motor windings. Notice the connections from the charger board to the motor in this diagram, for example. Feel free to peruse the freely available tech docs and diagrams for more info. Rregen is handled by the controller/inverter and does not use the charger board.

Andy

You said motor windings and charging, yes. However, the motor wingings are always part of the regen system. No conflict intended, just different names for the same thing.

When I first read about the ACP patent, I thought it might be overly-general, possibly invalidated by prior art, but maybe their claims included a specific "new" feature.

Back