Post Your Snow Leaf Pictures

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkart

eoj5DhN.jpg

I was really hoping for a Leaf with trak drive, or a very large snowmobile with a Leaf drivetrain, (Like the Chariot from Lost In Space) or... oh well! I finally realized, after 5 years of parking outside, that I'd rather clean out my garage to make room for mine.

Heres ours. My wife gets the garage for her smart ED so I get the outside spot set up for her smart ED incuding the EVSE. I do about 80 percent of my charging here now. I kinda like the 8 amp selectable setting as it allows me to plug it in and have it end up about 85 to 90 percent in the morning. Adds about 3 percent an hour. I getting pretty good at timing it to be about 85 percent when I leave in the morning.

32096227827_6d0eea6600_c.jpg

Looks like either one degree or negative one degree of outside temperature.

I'm assuming Fahrenheit based on the complete lack of battery temperature bars.

bobkart said:
Here you go:

You got me beat on snow depth . . and charging while buried! Nice.
Thanks. That's weird,I put the link in the IMG brackets and it just showed a blank box when I previewed the post.
Some of that snow was drifted up but there was 18" everywhere else. It was a pretty good storm. First snow day in 20 years in a lot of the school districts.

Yeah, that was -1F. That’s kinda chilly for around here, but it breaks into double digit negatives now and then. The heater isn’t really powerful enough to maintain a comfy cabin below -10F or so. I don’t like wearing big jackets, so I have the heater set to 90 and hammered the whole way. The claimed range in eco is about double what I can get in practice in those conditions.

I don’t really take pictures of my Leaf, but getting 1’+ of accumulation a day happens a few times a year around here. The Leaf is exceptional in the snow aside from the horrific electronic brake pedal forgetting the battery is seriously degraded and too cold to handle any regen, so it suddenly stabs the brakes on every time I touch it if the pack is cold. And the stability control is too sensitive for my liking. The car just locks up mid corner if you slide it around, which is potentially dangerous if you don’t expect it. The traction control that’s terrible in wet weather is decent in snow. I’d still like to turn off traction control without killing stability control.

32103624047_73a7596d5a_c.jpg

The heater isn’t really powerful enough to maintain a comfy cabin below -10F or so. I don’t like wearing big jackets, so I have the heater set to 90 and hammered the whole way.

Have you tried using D mode (more heater power) and partial recirculation? That's when you press Recirculate (In one of the modes that allows it), then press it again and hold it until the light goes out. Release the button then: the light on it will flash twice and then stay off, giving you a mix with 30% fresh air. You get a bit less heat than with full recirculate, but with the vent in Floor position and the fan on 2 or higher, the windshield shouldn't fog.

LeftieBiker said:
The heater isn’t really powerful enough to maintain a comfy cabin below -10F or so. I don’t like wearing big jackets, so I have the heater set to 90 and hammered the whole way.

Have you tried using D mode (more heater power) and partial recirculation? That's when you press Recirculate (In one of the modes that allows it), then press it again and hold it until the light goes out. Release the button then: the light on it will flash twice and then stay off, giving you a mix with 30% fresh air. You get a bit less heat than with full recirculate, but with the vent in Floor position and the fan on 2 or higher, the windshield shouldn't fog.

I normally drive in D for higher heater power, that picture was a bit into the drive and the roads were icy so the eco throttle is helpful there. I normally switch back and forth with recirc and brief defrost, but wished it would do a partial recirc. The 2011 does that? That’d be great. But it’s still kinda wimpy heat for double digit negatives, even with full recirc and 100% fan speed. I insulated the heater lines as well which didn’t appear to do very much.

I didn't realize you had a 'water-heated' Leaf - I only looked at your delivery date. I don't recall if the early cars have partial recirculation or not... There is another topic or two here about installing diesel fuel-powered heaters in Leafs.

I was considering one of those heaters, but it sounds kinda sketchy and it’s usually garaged so I couldn’t preheat with it. I just leave it running in the parking lot if I go shopping, since I don’t have to go far for most anything. So even though it only goes 20 miles driving like this, it’s kinda enough. I’ve been eying a Model 3 though...

Holding the recirc button does indeed cause both lights to flash and I can hear the damper move a bit less than if the outside air was selected. Although it sounds more like its moving 60-70% of the time it would move for full outside, and the power goes up a lot. Pressing the outside air button again, even though its lit, does cause the damper to move the remaining amount. I'll have to see how much it makes a difference on a cold day. Nice little trick though.

Back