After market wheels on 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atang055

Hello! New owner here! Got the cars for 2 weeks. Just couldn't stand the stock 16 inch steel rims with hub caps.

IMG_6540.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6536_1.jpg

Wheels are 17x9 +42 with 235/45 17 tires. I like the concaveness of these wheels but you only get it on a 9 inch wide rim at the minimum, and I don't want to stretch a 205 tire on a 9in rim. So that's how I ended up with such a wide tire. The wheels and tires combo weight about 1.5 extra lbs than the stock combo. And I know I'll probably take a bigger hit on efficiency with the extra rolling resistance. Hopefully not too bad. I haven't driven it enough to see the real impact.

DuncanCunningham said:
nice.. please tell me you live in Utah so I can buy your steelies and tires off you.

Thanks, unfortunately I am in Cali and plan on keeping the stock wheels :)

The problem with an 18 on this car is that your cant get it on there without major repercussions, they dont make an r18 tire that is thin enough to stay close to the same size as oem so it will throw off your speedo, also even the lightest 18's will be heavier than stock. A nice lightweight 17 however will give you the best of both worlds. Wont throw off your gauges. Can be lighter than oem still which improves range. And you can still get a bit more meat under there to improve performance without worrys of rubbing while turning in up hill or speedbumps potholes whatever.

I have pics up of my setup in the aftermarket section.

LeftieBiker said:
LeftieBiker said:
It should also be possible to put 17" Juke wheels on the 2018 Leaf.

Just to confirm this, I now have my snow tires on the car - mounted on 17" Juke wheels. They look good.

Pics please!!

seanomad84 said:
LeftieBiker said:
LeftieBiker said:
It should also be possible to put 17" Juke wheels on the 2018 Leaf.

Just to confirm this, I now have my snow tires on the car - mounted on 17" Juke wheels. They look good.

What brand of snow tires did you go for?

Michelin X-ice. I'll take pictures today or tomorrow.

OP,

Can you post an update now that you've had the wheels for a few months? What was the hit to your efficiency/kwh?

Have you noticed any other positive or negative effects?

Leftie, did you put new TPMS sensors in your snow tires? Not that I will ever get snow tires here in florida. I was just curious if Leaf uses the dTPMS or the iTPMS system. When I tried out the new spare on mine it did not register any pressure and I just happened upon that article about the different TPMS systems and registering procedures. Did you have to register the tires in your Leafs system?

jusgetalong said:
Leftie, did you put new TPMS sensors in your snow tires? Not that I will ever get snow tires here in florida. I was just curious if Leaf uses the dTPMS or the iTPMS system. When I tried out the new spare on mine it did not register any pressure and I just happened upon that article about the different TPMS systems and registering procedures. Did you have to register the tires in your Leafs system?

Funny story. I bought new TPMS units from Tire Rack with the tires, planning on registering them myself. Then I discovered that LeafSpy Pro can't do it with the 2018. I fiddled with it anyway, and somehow managed it. As for the two types, I don't remember seeing the designations, but the 2018 is, IIRC, different from the previous ones. Just look it up by make/model on tirerack.com.

@atang055 , how are you liking the wheel with this offset?
did you have any issues?
how did it impact efficiency?

Thank you

Back