Who Makes The Most Insulated Garage Doors?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaslessInSeattle

Our bedroom is directly over our garage and looses a lot of heat because the garage door does little to keep heat in. Also, we figure with a good garage door that it shouldn't be that hard to keep the Leaf above 45-50 degrees F in the winter, which seems to be a sweet spot for cold whether range/charging.

Does anyone have suggestions for a garage door that truly has a good R rating. Most R ratings on doors are for the middle of a given panel and do not reflect how well sealed the panels are at the seams. We are willing to pay extra for a good door if it's worth it.

I don't think replacing the garage door would change the temp. that much to justify the expense. There are however kits you can buy to insulate the interior side of the door itself. or you could go to home depot and get a couple insulating panels of "Celotex" and cut them to size and glue to the back sideof the door.

I also forgot to mention that the door is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced, the motor is almost shot. I wouldn't do it just for the energy savings.

portableal said:
I don't think replacing the garage door would change the temp. that much to justify the expense. There are however kits you can buy to insulate the interior side of the door itself. or you could go to home depot and get a couple insulating panels of "Celotex" and cut them to size and glue to the back sideof the door.

There was a Holmes on Homes episode recently with a situation similar to yours. He ripped the drywall off the garage ceiling and had blue foam insulation sprayed on the underside of the floor. Either that or they tore the whole house down and started over, I don't remember for sure now.

Heating Garages:

Most garages, expected to house gas-breathing cars, have substantial air vents down low, at least along one side wall.

Many do not have finished or insulated walls and overhead.

Air leaks around the top, sides, and bottom of many garage doors can be substantial.

The garage doors and windows (if any) often have leaks or very low (single-pane) R-values.

The Garage door panels should be insulated, but the "weather stripping" is also very important. If they say "it can't be done", find another installer that WILL do it.

Remember, heat rises and cold sinks, even after you have stopped all the "drafts".

If you have no insulation in the floor you can have it blown in without removing the rock.

LTLFTcomposite said:
There was a Holmes on Homes episode recently with a situation similar to yours. He ripped the drywall off the garage ceiling and had blue foam insulation sprayed on the underside of the floor. Either that or they tore the whole house down and started over, I don't remember for sure now.

Mikey loves the spray foam!

We noticed a big difference in heat retention, especially with 2 ice cars on a hot summer day. So much so that we had to keep the door open for a couple of hours till the cars cooled down. We replaced 20 year old wood doors with metal insulated. Garage is attached and under bedrooms, insulated walls and ceiling.

what brand did you go with? sounds like a lot of it comes down to how well sealed the hinged seems are.

ghabel said:
We noticed a big difference in heat retention, especially with 2 ice cars on a hot summer day. So much so that we had to keep the door open for a couple of hours till the cars cooled down. We replaced 20 year old wood doors with metal insulated. Garage is attached and under bedrooms, insulated walls and ceiling.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Does anyone have suggestions for a garage door that truly has a good R rating. Most R ratings on doors are for the middle of a given panel and do not reflect how well sealed the panels are at the seams. We are willing to pay extra for a good door if it's worth it.

Well our garage door was falling apart too and we just put in a new insulated garage door this last weekend. But I choose an insulated door because the sun always hits our garage in the afternoon as the sun moves to the west and the garage gets too hot.

We got a Clopay Pro-Series Classic Line garage door. (R = 17.2?)
A Premium 4310 Raised Panel, Long Elegant, 3Layer (Steel + 2"Polystyrene Insulation + Steel)
http://www.clopaydoor.com/dealer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or 1-800-2clopay (225-6729)

Our opener is a Chamberlain LiftMaster Professional, Model 3280M 1/2HP

We are happy.

You just need to find an installer that will meet your needs to ensure a good install and tight sides. Good Luck.

I apologize for a bump...just my two cents...
ve been battling heat in my shop since I moved into my current home eight years ago. I live in SoCal, and my garage door faces west. The afternoon sun has always heated up the shop to levels that make me spend less time in the shop.

I added a mini-split HVAC, and that helped enormously. But in the summer, when the outdoor temps can get over 90 degrees (sometimes over 100), and the afternoon sun is beating on the garage door, my mini-split had no hope of keeping up, and shop temps would climb.

I insulated the walls and ceiling, and that definitely helped. But my mini-split was still no match for the summer afternoon heat.

So, I got a thermal imaging camera. I learned a few important things that have helped get the heat under control.

First, the uninsulated steel garage doors were acting as a giant radiator. I knew that, but I didn't realize just how much that contributed to the problem. On those 90 degree days with the sun beating on the door, the temp of the outside of the garage doors would get over 120 degrees. The inside of the doors would get over 110. Since my shop is a 3-car garage, that's a lot of heat! No wonder the inside of the shop kept getting so warm.

I bought those garage door insulation kits from a big box store like this https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-door-insulation-kit/ (I think HD). That made a significant difference, but the doors were still a big radiator. Instead of the inside of the door registering 110 degrees, it would get up to the high 90s. That's a 10-15 degree drop, but my mini-split still struggled to take all that heat out of the shop.

A few months ago, I upgraded my garage doors to some of those R-18 super-insulated garage doors https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_153321046388816&key=8d1879ea4db6639656bbe1af129db4fc&libId=jkchup3w010025g3000DAk2it4yuw&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.garagejournal.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D235256&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.homedepot.com%2Fp%2FUnbranded-Thermasheath-3-R-9-6-1-1-2in-x-4ft-x-8ft-Polyiso-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-Board-W-N5150%2F100317819%3FN%3D5yc1vZbaxxZ1z0z6ja&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.nl%2F&title=insulated%20garage%20door%20cost%20-%20The%20Garage%20Journal%20Board&txt=R%20Max%20Thermasheath%20rigid%20insulation%20 (with no windows). That has made an enormous difference. We haven't yet had any 90+ degree weather this year, but so far, the inside of my garage doors has stayed pretty close to the ambient temp in my shop. So, whatever heat the sun is putting onto the garage door's exterior is mostly not making its way into the shop.

People get fixated on seals. In some circumstances, bad seals can be the culprit. But keep in mind that the job of the seals is to keep the heat/cold in the AMBIENT air outside from getting inside. When you have a West-facing garage door and the sun is beating on your garage door in the afternoon, the ambient outside temperate is really not the problem. The problem is that the sun is super-heating the exterior surface of your garage door to a temperature that can be 20-30 degrees hotter than the outside air. That's a much bigger problem than bad seals. I'm not saying that seals don't matter; I am saying that getting as much insulation as possible on the surface of your garage door is much more critical than seals for controlling heat if you have a West-facing door and you want to keep your shop cool. At least, that has been my experience.

The thermal imaging camera also gave me some additional insights. I had extensive fluorescent lighting throughout the shop, and the camera showed just how much heat those were putting out. So, I changed to LED lighting. Enormous improvement.

Your first link doesn't work and the second is to some R9.6 foam board, should it have gone to an insulated garage door?

Back