Where are the electric cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

When a friend asked me why there weren't many more electric cars on the road, I said this: (see picture below.)

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 0014_ignorance_apathy.png
    0014_ignorance_apathy.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 126
Hybrid electric and plug-in electric vehicle now account for almost 10 percent (9.6%) of all new car sales in California.
http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2014/11/electric-vehicles-account-for-almost-10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanCar said:
Hybrid electric and plug-in electric vehicle now account for almost 10 percent (9.6%) of all new car sales in California.
http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2014/11/electric-vehicles-account-for-almost-10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's Great!!

Maybe this is why?

Attachments

• key_wind-farm.jpg
    key_wind-farm.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 112
greengate said:
When a friend asked me why there weren't many more electric cars on the road, I said this: (see picture below.)

Your thoughts?

Show your friend this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maya-albanese/new-yorkers-times-have-changed-charge-your-car-or-fill-it-up_b_6220690.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Yorkers, Times Have Changed: Charge Your Car or Fill It Up?

greengate said:

Your thoughts?
I tell people that Nissan has sold 84% more LEAFs worldwide in its first four years than Toyota sold Prii in its first four years, a total of 150,000 cars. I point out that in its fifth year of sales, the Prius struggled due to low gasoline prices and no product refresh, but that it took off during its sixth year. The LEAF will face similar struggles next year given the low gasoline prices, but it will also be getting a refresh in its sixth year. If Nissan can catalyze their success in the LEAF refresh in a similar manner to Toyota, they will become quite a common sight everywhere.

Also, if Tesla can produce a low-price offering in a similar timeframe, they may become the common BEV on the roads.

If neither of those two things happen, it will be longer before we see many BEVs on the roads.

smkettner said:
greengate said:

Your thoughts?
Does the friend have an EV?
No. He has this......

Attachments

• 2012-gmc-yukon-xl-denali-front-left1.jpg
    2012-gmc-yukon-xl-denali-front-left1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 81
Explain that exponential growth is hard to recognize early on, but before you know it, you might be inundated ;-) :

"Imagine a magic pipette. It is magic because every drop of water that comes out of it will double in size every minute. So the first minute there is one drop, the second minute there are two drops, the third minute four drops, the fourth minute eight drops and so on…

Now, imagine a normal sized football stadium. In this stadium you are sitting on the seat at the very top of the stadium, with the best overview of the whole stadium. To make things more interesting, imagine the stadium is completely water-tight and that you cannot move from your seat. The first drop from the magic pipette is dropped right in the middle of the field, at 12pm. Here’s the question: Remembering that this drop grows exponentially by doubling in size every minute, how much time do you have to free yourself from the seat and leave the stadium before the water reaches your seat at the very top? Think about it for a moment. Is it hours, days, weeks, months? The answer: You have exactly until 12:49pm. It takes this tiny magic drop less than 50 minutes to fill a whole football stadium with water.

This is impressive! But it gets better: At what time do you think the football stadium is still 93% empty? Take a guess. The answer: At 12:45pm. So, you sit and watch the drop growing, and after 45 minutes all you see is the playing field covered with water. And then, within four more minutes, the water fills the whole stadium. This means that you think you are safe because it seems that you have plenty of time left, whereas due to the exponential growth you really have to take immediate action if you want to have any chance of getting out of this situation."
Ok, cars are not water droplets and minutes in the story might be years in the (car) world, but it still might help answer his question.

1976: where are all the home computers?

technology-adoption.jpg

Back