The State of the Union Address We'll Never Hear

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

These thoughts come from a professor, scientist, and researcher with a background in biology, computer/systems science, and an MBA. He's worked on understanding the human brain and researches artificial intelligence. What do you think?

The Real State of the Union (and World)

The Formulaic SOTU

You know the drill. The POTUS starts by spotlighting some highlights of what s/he thinks is going well in the US. Here are our strengths, as a country - Blah, blah, blah - look at us, we're good guys and exceptional in the world! There will be special guests sitting with the first partner who will be acknowledged as exceptional people for whatever reason. The “message” — Everything is fine folks. See how we prevail over adversity, etc.

Then s/he will acknowledge some critical issues that need to be addressed. The climate, the environment, energy, jobs (actually probably number 1), income disparities, etc. etc. are bound to be on the list in this SOTU.

And then comes the grand list of major initiatives that will solve all our problems. Of course, only if Congress gets off their fat butts and get bills written and through the votes. And we know what the responses will be. Politics has been so badly ideologized (if not a word it should be) that the President's party will rise in applause for every one of the grand schemes. The opposite party members will sit staunchly, frowning and likely shaking their heads to signal their disgust and telegraphing how intransigent they plan to be to block any of the nonsense.

What You Won't Hear, But Should

The POTUS will only be communicating with the humans on this planet. That is because we humans use language and other species don't. Too bad. They should be warned also.

My fellow human beings, the state of the world is not good.

I am sorry to report that the US is probably the single biggest cause of this situation. Our insistence on the notions that greed is good, economic growth is good, financialization is good, and personal wealth accumulation is good, is the one underlying factor that is driving the destruction of our environment and the depletion of critical natural resources. What we are doing, and apparently not thinking about the consequences, is not sustainable, even over the next several decades. To put it succinctly — we are screwed!

The US has led the world in a mad grab for anything we could possibly exploit. We have led the world in creating so much pollution that the natural environment cannot possibly absorb and process it. Now China is trying its best to follow suit. Europe, for the most part, has been a little less guilty, but trying its best to keep up appearances. India, African nations, the MENA states, and the BRICs, and everyone in between wants what we Americans have had. If all 7.2 billion people were raised to the same level of consumption and lifestyle as Americans (middle class) we would need five and one half Earths just to get there. Obviously that isn't going to happen.

We have messed things up so badly that our civilization is highly likely to collapse in chaos. If you are familiar with self-organized criticality dynamics (of course almost no one will be) you will recognize that the pressure has built up and many small collapses have already occurred. The big one is coming and likely soon. We can expect a massive down-sizing of the population and the living standards of any survivors. To believe that somehow our current situation is really different from prior civilizations with respect to the possibility of collapse is just wishful thinking. There is, of course, one difference with the current state of affairs and the consequences of collapse. In all other local civilization collapses the survivors had somewhere else to go where resources were still available. This time we are talking about the planet as a whole. There is nowhere else to go.
Collapse on this scale combined with massive climate changes and sea level rises could very well lead to extinction of our species. We should recognize it, at least, as a possibility. In fact our destruction of habitats and now the shifting climate effects are driving many species of plants and animals to the brink of extinction. Many, unfortunately, have already stumbled over the precipice.

Now for the really bad news. There is absolutely nothing that I as president, or the congress, or anyone can do to change things now. Most of the problem is to be found in you the populace. You are profoundly ignorant of how things work. You don't want to take the time to try to understand the world. You basically want to have a good time and leave the work of fixing things to your elected officials. The problem is that those officials haven't got a clue for the most part. And even when someone tries to speak up and point out the problems and what we should probably try to do, they are laughed at, mocked, marginalized, or just plain ignored. Sheer massive ignorance and stupidity is defeating us on all fronts.

In conclusion I would have to say that I suspect there will be only a few more state of the union addresses given in the future. At some point truth will force itself on us all. Of course, by then it will be much too late to do anything. It really already is too late. At best a few insightful and forward thinking people will work to organize themselves to survive the chaos. There may be a species of humanity in the distant future, but only if they evolve a greater capacity for wisdom than we have.

Goodnight. And hope for the best. No sense asking a god to bless us.

These words will never be heard.

http://questioneverything.typepad.c...01/the-real-state-of-the-union-and-world.html

Was the state of union better during WWII, or vietnam, or civil war? There will always be major issues, but global warming isn't one of them effecting us today.
>Collapse on this scale combined with massive climate changes and sea level rises could very well lead to extinction of our species.
Lol
>In fact our destruction of habitats
Yes, but not due to global warming, due to population growth.

>You are profoundly ignorant of how things work.
Some scientists think they know, but they don't. As evident by the error in the computer projections from the IPCC.

>You basically want to have a good time and leave the work of fixing things to your elected officials.
Lol, they are messing things up which will lead to a greater downfall. But sometimes we have to accept things the way they are and allow the masses to learn from the school of hard knocks. Our democracy forces us to follow the path that the common man wants and not that of the visionary.

>Sheer massive ignorance and stupidity is defeating us on all fronts.
History has been full of one step back and two steps forwards.

>It really already is too late.
Come join the party then. :)

There is the potential for humanity to encounter tremendous suffering due to the consequences of global warming, but I don't share the fatalistic, gloom-and-doom view of that professor.

Today human beings live in every possible environment on Earth, ranging from the Arctic to the Sahara to some of the highest mountains. We are unique in our ingenuity and our ability to adapt. I'd prefer that our descendants not be forced to do too much adaptation, however.

A runaway greenhouse effect that turns Earth into a clone of Venus would annihilate humanity, but that doesn't seem at all likely.

May God bless humanity, as He has already done for many thousands of years.

abasile said:
There is the potential for humanity to encounter tremendous suffering due to the consequences of global warming, but I don't share the fatalistic, gloom-and-doom view of that professor.

I don't either, but even a tad bit of suffering in the future, or a minor inconvenience in adapting should be cause for us to individually take small course corrections now to minimize it. We aren't going to win this through the barrel of a gun (government policy). We need to change ourselves and be an example for others.

I wasn't much of an environmentalist when I got my LEAF. But having owned one and being surrounded by a culture of environmental responsibility has taught me a thing or two about doing the right thing on this spaceship.

DanCar said:
Our democracy forces us to follow the path that the common man wants and not that of the visionary.

"Our democracy", if it actually worked like a democracy, would be just that- which is why democracies are incredibly dangerous. The people have had a taste of it this past decade with gay marriage bans brought on by voting. Humans in general are stupid and some are just plain evil. When you get a bunch of them to decide how to rule other humans (voting), it ends badly. Taking a sample from that same pool of stupid and evil humans and declaring them rulers (a representative government) is equally a bad idea- because you only get the corrupt or the popular in office, and not the visionaries.

What the people really have is not a democracy, it's not even a republic. Corporations and the super rich finance the politicians in order to fund the convincing of the populace to support them to pave the path that everyone will follow, so they (the corporations, super rich, and politicians) can secure themselves and their friends more money and power, with no regard for the health, freedom, and the future of their fellow man.

But the sad part is this isn't just a flawed system. It's not a broken government that merely needs to be fixed by voting in the right people. It's not even a broken method of governance. It's exactly how the system is designed to work, and the majority of humans have been duped into believing that this cult is the way to solve all of the problems of the human race and deliver us into the future.

We need to just evolve, and I fear that we aren't doing it fast enough. Too few of us humans are embracing science and critical thinking, and government is a poor substitute for evolved man.

DanCar said:
Was the state of union better during WWII, or vietnam, or civil war? There will always be major issues, but global warming isn't one of them effecting us today.
>Collapse on this scale combined with massive climate changes and sea level rises could very well lead to extinction of our species.
Lol
If you think that global warming is not a major issue of today, then I seriously hope you will at least take a college freshman intro to environmental science, biology, chemistry, physics, or ecology course and report back.

DanCar said:
>In fact our destruction of habitats
Yes, but not due to global warming, due to population growth
I agree that population numbers are stressing the planet. It's not the number of people as much as the level of consumption and waste, however. The US has about 5% of the global population but we use ~25% of raw materials (oil, steel, aluminum, etc.) and emit or dump ~25% of the planet's waste/pollution. On the environmental side, pine bark beetles decimating western forests isn't about population growth, it's about warmer winters and drought. More extreme floods, droughts, storms, fires, melting permafrost, and ocean acidification are climate related. Species dying off because the plants they rely on for food cannot travel north as quickly as they can is climate related. Animals dying because the ice they rely on to get them to their prey isn't there any longer is climate related.

DanCar said:
>You are profoundly ignorant of how things work.
Some scientists think they know, but they don't. As evident by the error in the computer projections from the IPCC.
Model projections have error bars and the knowns/unknowns are detailed. The majority of model predictions are very conservative - reality is most often worse than predicted. But none of the things we are seeing today have anything to do with models. I'd say there's plenty of data on this forum to show that climate scientists know more about the climate than most electric car owners as well...

DanCar said:
>You basically want to have a good time and leave the work of fixing things to your elected officials.
Lol, they are messing things up which will lead to a greater downfall. But sometimes we have to accept things the way they are and allow the masses to learn from the school of hard knocks. Our democracy forces us to follow the path that the common man wants and not that of the visionary.
Our democracy doesn't force anything, but advertizing and propaganda have the 'common man' by the nose. If you think Joe Citizen is in control you might want to explore that a bit as well. As for visionaries - it's not up to them, it's up to us - always has been. That's why we need to turn off the TV, clear our heads, and start seeing what's happening and then act.

DanCar said:
>Sheer massive ignorance and stupidity is defeating us on all fronts.
History has been full of one step back and two steps forwards.
Non sequitur. Extinction is forever and Mother Nature bats last. You sure you want to gamble your kid's future on past performance?

kubel said:
"Our democracy", if it actually worked like a democracy, would be just that- which is why democracies are incredibly dangerous. The people have had a taste of it this past decade with gay marriage bans brought on by voting. Humans in general are stupid and some are just plain evil. When you get a bunch of them to decide how to rule other humans (voting), it ends badly. Taking a sample from that same pool of stupid and evil humans and declaring them rulers (a representative government) is equally a bad idea- because you only get the corrupt or the popular in office, and not the visionaries.

I would almost agree....however, as Winston Churchill said
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

The problem of our time is that the common man has now easy access to technology that has a global impact. That is a first in human history.

AndyH said:
DanCar said:
Lol
If you think that global warming is not a major issue of today, then I seriously hope you will at least take a college freshman intro to environmental science, biology, chemistry, physics, or ecology course and report back.
I'm happy to report that I received strait A's on my physics classes. Last one I took, modern physics, I scored the highest grade in the final out of about 90 students.

It's not the number of people as much as the level of consumption and waste, however. The US has about 5% of the global population but we use ~25% of raw materials (oil, steel, aluminum, etc.) and emit or dump ~25% of the planet's waste/pollution.
Its called success. And no we won't live in little black caves with the lights off.
On the environmental side, pine bark beetles decimating western forests isn't about population growth, it's about warmer winters and drought.
Or is it a natural cycle of things? Things get attacked and need to evolve.
More extreme floods, droughts, storms, fires, melting permafrost, and ocean acidification are climate related.
Since there are more people everywhere, they would be more extreme anyways because we are everywhere getting effected by everything and reporting on everything.

Model projections have error bars and the knowns/unknowns are detailed.
Tell us about the error bars for the 3rd report, where are we today for those predictions? Yes you have unknowns, that is my point.

Our democracy doesn't force anything, but advertizing and propaganda have the 'common man' by the nose.
I propose a jury type of system for elections to lessen the money factor.
That's why we need to turn off the TV, clear our heads, and start seeing what's happening and then act.
I doubt that will help people buy into the paranoia.

Non sequitur. Extinction is forever and Mother Nature bats last.
Non sequitur, there is no extinction.
You sure you want to gamble your kid's future on past performance?
Congratulations you and your descendants will survive, since only the paranoid survive. Although it may not be the most comfortable life, since you are always worried about something.

DanCar said:
I'm happy to report that I received strait A's on my physics classes. Last one I took, modern physics, I scored the highest grade in the final out of about 90 students.
You might want to apply some of that understanding then, or take a more recent class. I found that all of these subjects changed dramatically since the 1980s...

DanCar said:
It's not the number of people as much as the level of consumption and waste, however. The US has about 5% of the global population but we use ~25% of raw materials (oil, steel, aluminum, etc.) and emit or dump ~25% of the planet's waste/pollution.
Its called success. And no we won't live in little black caves with the lights off.
Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is talking about living in caves with the lights off. And no, defecating in our bed and cereal bowl is not 'success'.

DanCar said:
On the environmental side, pine bark beetles decimating western forests isn't about population growth, it's about warmer winters and drought.
Beetles aren't increasing the temperature or causing the drought stressing trees from Mexico into Canada. Beetle evolution isn't warming winters so that insects don't die off in the cold. Warmer winters mean multiple generations of beetles per year, and drought stressed trees mean plenty of immune-depressed places for the beetles to live.
http://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/opinion/9366/bark-beetle-blues

DanCar said:
More extreme floods, droughts, storms, fires, melting permafrost, and ocean acidification are climate related.
Since there are more people everywhere, they would be more extreme anyways because we are everywhere getting effected by everything and reporting on everything.
More watchers are not magically raising sea levels or dissolving lobster shells.

DanCar said:
That's why we need to turn off the TV, clear our heads, and start seeing what's happening and then act.
I doubt that will help people buy into your paranoia.
I'm not talking about paranoia - I'm talking about pulling one's head out of the constant stream of manipulation while simultaneously looking around at what IS. Recognizing that 1/3 of the trees in the area are now dead should be an indicator that everything is not fine, for but one example.

DanCar said:
The real world suggests otherwise.
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/Supplement_1/11466.full
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v471/n7336/full/nature09678.html
http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/prehistoric-world/mass-extinction/

DanCar said:
Congratulations you and your descendants will survive, since only the paranoid survive. Although it may not be the most comfortable life, since you are always worried about something.
Buying car and/or homeowners/renters insurance is not paranoia, though, is it? The prepared survive - and preparation starts with observation. Observation can only begin when one removes their head from it's storage location.

edit...missing words added in blue.

AndyH said:
DanCar said:
You might want to apply some of that understanding then, or take a more recent class. I found that off of these subjects changed dramatically since the 1980s...

DanCar said:
Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is talking about living in caves with the lights off. And no, defecating in our bed and cereal bowl is not 'success'.

DanCar said:
Beetles aren't increasing the temperature or causing the drought stressing trees from Mexico into Canada. Beetle evolution isn't warming winters so that insects die off in the cold. Warmer winters mean multiple generations of beetles per year, and drought stressed trees mean plenty of immune-depressed places for the beetles to live.
http://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/opinion/9366/bark-beetle-blues

DanCar said:
More watchers are not magically raising sea levels or dissolving lobster shells.

DanCar said:
I doubt that will help people buy into your paranoia.
I'm not talking about paranoia - I'm talking about pulling one's head out of the constant stream of manipulation while simultaneously looking around at what IS. Recognizing that 1/3 of the trees in the area are now dead should be an indicator that everything is not fine, for but one example.

DanCar said:
The real world suggests otherwise.
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/Supplement_1/11466.full
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v471/n7336/full/nature09678.html
http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/prehistoric-world/mass-extinction/

DanCar said:
Buying car and/or homeowners/renters insurance is not paranoia, though, is it? The prepared survive - and preparation starts with observation. Observation can only begin when one removes their head from it's storage location.

+1

klapauzius said:
I would almost agree....however, as Winston Churchill said
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

How about no form of government? :D

klapauzius said:
The problem of our time is that the common man has now easy access to technology that has a global impact. That is a first in human history.

True, but that same common man is increasingly given a choice these days to pick technology that can have a positive (or at least much less destructive) global impact- and the rate at which people are becoming aware of the consequences of their individual actions is growing, not shrinking.

We'll have a bumpy road ahead, but overall, I'm remaining optimistic about our future. If you can convince someone like me (a neocon turned anarchist, whose previous car was a V8 sedan), without the use of force or coercion, to do something like get an electric car, that's proof that there's hope. Hippies no longer have a monopoly on environmental responsibility.

Get this- we just recently had warmongering fearmongering neocon Bill O'Reilly get up on Fox News and support Tesla and green energy. Then we just had MSNBC agree with him. This sort of thing isn't supposed to happen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt0ot1LgXZQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFJ0UvwMDM[/youtube]

"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

kubel said:
We'll have a bumpy road ahead, but overall, I'm remaining optimistic about our future. If you can convince someone like me (a neocon turned anarchist, whose previous car was a V8 sedan), without the use of force or coercion, to do something like get an electric car, that's proof that there's hope. Hippies no longer have a monopoly on environmental responsibility.
Green energy's best hope is that it becomes cheaper than fossil fuels. Even if you get everyone in the U.S. or Europe to buy in to some sort of carbon-free utopia, there's still too much of the rest of the world that will go with whatever is cheapest.

kubel said:
Get this- we just recently had warmongering fearmongering neocon Bill O'Reilly get up on Fox News and support Tesla and green energy.
I've never been real clear on what a "neocon" is; I assume that's a derogatory term for anyone with viewpoints more conservative than your own. BO doesn't really fit the label, he tends to bounce around from what I've heard.

Anecdotal, but just about everyone I know who has gotten an EV considers themselves conservative.

kubel said:
Hippies no longer have a monopoly on environmental responsibility.
I was corrected a few years back - the younger folks don't call themselves hippie chicks, they're Earth Girls now. ;) Conservation and stewardship used to be core 'conservative'/Republican/'religious right' tenets and for some it still is. The pull towards 'neofascism' and privatization that started in at least the Reagan/Thatcher era is where the R party lost me.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I've never been real clear on what a "neocon" is; I assume that's a derogatory term for anyone with viewpoints more conservative than your own.
Speaking as a former R and disabled veteran, my understanding of 'neocon' wasn't derogatory, it identified the group of folks from any party that consider military force to be the first piece of 'diplomacy' to be put on the table for any reason.

Thanks for speaking up, guys. I think that the single worst thing that has ever happened to this country is the propaganda effort that feeds people BS and divides them, rather than reminding them that we're all more alike than not.

Back