Latest smackdown of Fool cells

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbender said:
Even Nissan is keeping one foot in that world, though. Why do you think that is? :)

unlike everyone else (Tesla, Toyota, Honda etc etc) Nissan treats EVs and Hydrogen as the same and without silos, Just look at AESC's website for that.
perhaps Ghosn justs wants to sell cars that make money, and fuel cells aren't there yet, (and likely- never)

Even since I first heard about "Fuel Cells" I thought that it was just another smoke screen to distract the CARB from pushing more Ethanol and especially EV's. I have never seen anything since that has changed my mind, and that they will NEVER work.

CARB = California Air Resources Board

HFC and BEV are the same from a drivetrain perspective. The primary difference is where the electricity comes from - a fuel cell or a battery.

Julian,

Thank you for making the case for the "near term" obvious solution to zero emission battery electric cars. I don't know if there's something better 20-50 years out, but for now, renewable electrical power used solely by battery electric cars works, and works well with high efficiency. Electricity is ubiquitous anywhere in the world right now.

Yes, we still need the robust "refueling" infrastructure that gasoline vehicles enjoy, with 100,000 or more stations in the USA, and we need a few decades to retire fossil fuel electrical power generation in favor of zero emission renewables.

None of the Fuel Cell Vehicle manufacturers have plans for any widespread use of their hydrogen vehicles through at least 2020, and probably 2030 (if ever), whereby battery technology then is likely to have the energy density for 200-300 mile range cars at cost effective prices, and that those cars can be recharged quickly (5-15 minutes) when not available for overnight charging at home. Tesla is quickly moving toward those goals now.

Companies like Toyota have worked so diligently to dismiss battery electric vehicles, with their dismal failure of the Scion iQ-EV, with barely enough range to be used as a golf cart, and the limited production Rav4 EV that they really didn't even get their hands dirty to build, instead hiring Tesla to supply the key parts. The Rav4 EV was released with so many serious failures that it's a miracle that the US government hasn't demanded a recall (dozens of these cars have just shut down while driving down a highway is probably the most serious safety issue). And now, Toyota is going to build a few hundred hydrogen cars per year to comply with California Air Resources Board - Zero Emission Vehicle mandates.

Let's spend that hydrogen money to complete the West Coast Electric Highway, and make California the number one electric vehicle location in the world.

CNG vehicles are already on the market and are a ready solution to replace gasoline vehicles. What I learned from this article is that fuel cells are less efficient well to wheels. The two places natural gas can make the most immediate difference is 1) replacing coal burning power plants, and 2) As a motor fuel to reduce petroleum imports and marginally reduce CO2 and pollution. California should fund the high speed rail project and not waste their money on Hydrogen production.

Back