COSMOS and Neil De Grasse Tyson

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

I'm old enough to remember Carl Sagan's COSMOS and must have watched some of the episodes billions and billions of times over the years. ;)

But I'm also a huge fan of Neil De Grasse Tyson and 'his' version of COSMOS is excellent.

And who would have thought it would be on Fox, of all places... ;)
http://www.cosmosontv.com/

All of the episodes are on Hulu as well.
http://www.hulu.com/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey

I too remember Carl Sagan and watched his Cosmos when it originally aired; not to mention Billions and Billions of times after that ... ;)

Although it seems to me that Neal has a comedic overlay to his seriousness of science.

Love the old and new Cosmos!
Neil does such a wonderful job describing the scientific method and scientific discoveries in a straightforward, easy to understand way.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to go hear him talk tonight! I am bouncing off the walls and hope I don't come across as an idiot :oops:

Zythryn said:
Love the old and new Cosmos!
Neil does such a wonderful job describing the scientific method and scientific discoveries in a straightforward, easy to understand way.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to go hear him talk tonight! I am bouncing off the walls and hope I don't come across as an idiot :oops:

Do not forget to get an autograph if you can and tell him I said Hi! :D Great science!

Love the new show. A rare beacon of renaissance thinking in a world that seems increasingly intent on retreating into medievalism.

I love the show as well. I really like that they use cartoons instead of actors. It treads very close to corny with that space ship and actors would have put it far over the edge. The cartoons come off as really classy though. Oh, and the science is great too. :D

pkulak said:
I love the show as well. I really like that they use cartoons instead of actors. It treads very close to corny with that space ship and actors would have put it far over the edge. The cartoons come off as really classy though. Oh, and the science is great too. :D

I think their choice to use cartoons was good one; although they look more like comic strip layout. Perhaps it is because they are trying to appeal to the child demographic.

mwalsh said:
NdT is the coolest astrophysicist ever! EVER!

Quite possibly a tie (in my brain anyway) between he and Michio Kaku for coolest scientist ever!

Richard Feynman certainly has a place in that Pantheon. :)

32511-list.jpg_full_600.jpg

A dissent: I find Tyson unwatchable. Not because he doesn't know the material or can't get it across, but because unlike Sagan (who I'm also old enough to remember) he makes the show as much about his delivery as about the science. Tyson is sort of like Robin Williams: a great personality, but you'd better love him if you're going to watch hours of him, because otherwise you will hate him.

LeftieBiker said:
A dissent: I find Tyson unwatchable. Not because he doesn't know the material or can't get it across, but because unlike Sagan (who I'm also old enough to remember) he makes the show as much about his delivery as about the science. Tyson is sort of like Robin Williams: a great personality, but you'd better love him if you're going to watch hours of him, because otherwise you will hate him.

Interesting. I thought Sagan was more of the performer, although both have an incredible amount of knowledge on the subjects they cover.

Both discussed science in a way that made it accessible by anyone, which is exactly what is needed.

I think both the show and the host are excellent. I look forward to each episode, and will miss the show when the season ends soon. I also remember the original show vividly and fondly.

SilverLeaf said:
I think both the show and the host are excellent. I look forward to each episode, and will miss the show when the season ends soon. I also remember the original show vividly and fondly.
I think Neil De Grasse Tyson is awesome. You can feel the passion he has for the subject. Its an inspiration to all the young budding astrophysicists among us that dream of exploration.

I prefer his other series, The Inexplicable Universe, on Netflix and have enjoyed it immensely. It is very heady, deep physics, not many special effects. Mostly him talking. Some of the episodes are great, some delve a little too deep in things that can only be imagined.

Somehow I've managed to miss all the shows. I don't have much of a problem with Tyson even if every time I see him I keep wondering where Barney, Fish, Nick and Wojo are. I did watch the original with Sagan, although my personal favorite PBS 'science' (science history actually) show from that era was James Burke's "Connections".

LeftieBiker said:
Both discussed science in a way that made it accessible by anyone, which is exactly what is needed.

Agreed. I just wish that I could watch it myself.

I do almost all my watching of TV, and all of these with Neil on my laptop, for free, on:

http://www.fox.com/full-episodes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So anyone, anywhere in the world, with an internet connection can watch these shows. I also have enjoyed them.

Back