TV brands vs. who actually makes them

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

Came across https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/tv-brands-arent-always-what-they-seem/ in my Facebook feed today.

Story has an interesting table of common TV brands vs. who makes them. I knew about Sharp having Hisense making their TVs as Sharp was not making $ in that business. Didn't know the details of most of others (e.g. JVC, RCA, Polaroid, ProScan (formerly RCA's premium brand), etc.)

Too bad it doesn't say anything about who supplies the LCD or OLED panels to these brands.

Funai Conquers World...I had a couple of their VCRs back in the 90's, and they were Crap. I knew about Polaroid being a Trump style branding operation that made nothing, but I'd lost track of other brands. Now, I assume that LG is still made by...LG?

I have a Marantz compact stereo system in my garage. I bought it in...1978? I have a Sanyo quasi-component system in my bedroom that I bought in 1986 or so, an actual component system I put together in the early Nineties, and have a still-working Sony Super Beta VCR. I still think Beta was the better format...

LeftieBiker said:
Now, I assume that LG is still made by...LG?
I guess. Also, for those who might not remember/realize, LG was formerly known as Goldstar or Lucky Goldstar. Some folks probably remember Goldstar's mediocre TVs and monitors back in the day...

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, I remember. I never made the connection with LG.
For those curious, it's mentioned at http://www.lgcorp.com/about/history3.dev. Earlier pages there make all sorts of references to Goldstar.

It was obviously a good marketing move by them to ditch the Goldstar name.

LeftieBiker said:
Funai Conquers World...I had a couple of their VCRs back in the 90's, and they were Crap. I knew about Polaroid being a Trump style branding operation that made nothing, but I'd lost track of other brands. Now, I assume that LG is still made by...LG?

I have a Marantz compact stereo system in my garage. I bought it in...1978? I have a Sanyo quasi-component system in my bedroom that I bought in 1986 or so, an actual component system I put together in the early Nineties, and have a still-working Sony Super Beta VCR. I still think Beta was the better format...

Marantz has a long and interesting history, today they are part of D&M holdings which has Denon, Definitive and others. Marantz share architecture with Denon but the designs are different and so are the components. It's a good brand and product.

I wish there were a company that sold CRT televisions with RGB ports in the USA.

I don't know which is more dangerous. Me modifying my television to accept an RGB signal or me modifying the traction battery on my Leaf. :shock:

Just don't try to modify the television to accept input from your traction battery.

Marantz has a long and interesting history, today they are part of D&M holdings which has Denon, Definitive and others. Marantz share architecture with Denon but the designs are different and so are the components. It's a good brand and product.

My little "system" is actually "Sound Design - by Marantz" IIRC.

For me, I will stick with Vizio and buying them on Amazon for all of my TVs and here is why:
We bought a TV back in March of 2014 from Amazon and then last year it died with a popping sound. Obviously we were well past any warranty period and did not buy the extended warranty, but we called Vizio to find out how much it would cost to have it repaired, to our shock they offered to repair it for free as long as we signed a statement saying we understood this was a one time offer. Amazon was willing to help us speak with the manufacturer if necessary, but really we didn't need them at all, Vizio just made the offer.

Not only did they repair it, they had a technician come out to our house to do so and they sent him two different parts, as it could have been either part and he opted to put both parts in rather than spend time figuring out which part it was, essentially meaning that aside from the case we have a brand new TV because of the parts they were.

I have a friend who had a Sharp TV that they bought from best Buy for 15 months and it did something similar, neither Sharp or Best Buy were willing to do anything to help. I have had other friends with similar issues with other manufacturers as well, so this is why I will stick with Vizio and buying from Amazon.

IssacZachary said:
I wish there were a company that sold CRT televisions with RGB ports in the USA.

I don't know which is more dangerous. Me modifying my television to accept an RGB signal or me modifying the traction battery on my Leaf. :shock:
There are LED TVs that will accept RGB signals, but good luck even finding a CRT TV in the U.S., even at a thrift store these days.

Oh and modifying the TV is probably more dangerous.

cmwade77 said:
IssacZachary said:

There are LED TVs that will accept RGB signals, but good luck even finding a CRT TV in the U.S., even at a thrift store these days.

If low-price stores like K-Mart and Walmart are any indication, the cheapest TV's you can buy are all at least 720p, and no CRT's at all. With flat panels being dirt cheap now, it would actually cost more money to stock CRT's simply due to their weight and bulk. You can fit a lot more flat panel TV's into a multi-modal shipping container than CRT's.

There are inexpensive adapters that let you plug old RGB devices into HDMI ports if you really need to.

RonDawg said:
cmwade77 said:
IssacZachary said:

If low-price stores like K-Mart and Walmart are any indication, the cheapest TV's you can buy are all at least 720p, and no CRT's at all. With flat panels being dirt cheap now, it would actually cost more money to stock CRT's simply due to their weight and bulk. You can fit a lot more flat panel TV's into a multi-modal shipping container than CRT's.

There are inexpensive adapters that let you plug old RGB devices into HDMI ports if you really need to.

The whole and nearly only reason for owning a CRT nowadays would be to eliminate frame lag, something that is part of any flat screen TV or analog to digital converter. Which is important with certain retro video games. (For an example, Duck Hunt on Nintendo won't work on a flat screen because of the frame lag.)

Anyhow, I guess I've derailed this thread enough! But thanks!

IssacZachary said:
The whole and nearly only reason for owning a CRT nowadays would be to eliminate frame lag, something that is part of any flat screen TV or analog to digital converter. Which is important with certain retro video games. (For an example, Duck Hunt on Nintendo won't work on a flat screen because of the frame lag.)
I doubt input lag is the reason for Duck Hunt not working on LCDs. LCDs do not have electron guns that CRTs have, which scan the picture from top to bottom twice (due to interlacing) to form a picture (by shooting electrons at the inside of a picture tube that's phosphor coated). AFAIK, the gun used w/the NES operated in a similar way to the way light pens worked.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181303/htg-explains-how-the-nintendo-zapper-worked-and-why-it-doesnt-work-on-new-tvs/ looks like a decent explanation.

cwerdna said:
IssacZachary said:
I doubt input lag is the reason for Duck Hunt not working on LCDs. LCDs do not have electron guns that CRTs have, which scan the picture from top to bottom twice (due to interlacing) to form a picture (by shooting electrons at the inside of a picture tube that's phosphor coated). AFAIK, the gun used w/the NES operated in a similar way to the way light pens worked.

https://www.howtogeek.com/181303/htg-explains-how-the-nintendo-zapper-worked-and-why-it-doesnt-work-on-new-tvs/ looks like a decent explanation.
That article is close, but still a bit off.

Some zapper gun systems on other videogame consoles did use complex algorythms to make use of CRT scan lines. But the Nintendo zapper gun was very simple and only saw the black and white flashes on the screen. The problem is input lag. Any HD TV will be at least two frames behind a CRT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

cwerdna said:
IssacZachary said:

Here is an article about how to make a device that does allow the light gun to be used on an LCD TV:
https://blog.hackster.io/the-lcdzapper-lets-you-play-duck-hunt-other-light-gun-games-with-modern-tvs-18846e7db9aa

cwerdna said:
Too bad it doesn't say anything about who supplies the LCD or OLED panels to these brands.

LG makes every OLED panel sold today; both Sony and Panasonic incorporate LG panels in their OLED TVs.
I have one of the first flat OLEDs ever made (65EF9500) and it still looks amazing. :p

Back