Nissan LEAF Sales for September

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamChargePoint

The reports are in, and even though the new LEAF is expected early next year they still had 1,055 sales last month, bringing the YTD total to 10,740!

Sources:
You can find the full monthly sales scorecard at InsideEvs (http://bit.ly/insideEVscorecard) and at Green Car Reports
(http://bit.ly/evsalesSeptember)

vhc4zs.png

The LEAF sales are depressing, so let me change the topic

I'd like to hear about ChargePoint (CP) DCFC plans.
Where ?
How Many ?
Cost ?
Supported cars (protocols and standards) ?

P.s, this pdf from the CP website
https://www.chargepoint.com/files/express_charging_listing_east_west_coast.pdf
has info as of summer 2016. I notice that most of the installs only support CCS. Is that the future as well ? I personally hope not since it leaves my LEAF out in the cold, as well as my future Tesla.

By the way, I used an L2 Chargepoint this morning. It works great.

LEAF Sales are depressing but mostly because we are seeing the first signs of "slim pickings"

Predicting 2018 early release. lets do a poll!!

I will start; my prediction is Thanksgiving Weekend!

DaveinOlyWA said:
LEAF Sales are depressing but mostly because we are seeing the first signs of "slim pickings"

Predicting 2018 early release. lets do a poll!!

I will start; my prediction is Thanksgiving Weekend!

We need a Smyrna insider! When did they re-start the line and how is it running now?

I predict the fist sales in November.

Well, last year, nationwide searches always yielded 1200-1500 results. Last -5 months, its dropped to 1000-1200 but NOW, its at 766... The trend is pretty obvious here.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Well, last year, nationwide searches always yielded 1200-1500 results. Last -5 months, its dropped to 1000-1200 but NOW, its at 766... The trend is pretty obvious here.
766! I am seeing 393 in cars.com and 410 in autotrader.com (any year, new Nissan Leaf) The way they are going, they will sell less than 500 this month and next month....

jhm614 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
766! I am seeing 393 in cars.com and 410 in autotrader.com (any year, new Nissan Leaf) The way they are going, they will sell less than 500 this month and next month....

cars.com is normally a bit lower. My 766 search is from nissanusa.com but cars was at 894 in August so supplies are getting tight. Pretty obvious 2017 MY builds ended some time ago. If I had to guess probably Sept 30th?

The OCTOBER EV plug-in sales report is in!

You can find the full monthly sales report, summary, and scorecard at InsideEvs: http://bit.ly/OctEVScorecard

:!: Even with the new LEAF on the way (expected in December-January) the older model had 213 deliveries in October.
Note: Nissan managed inventory to less than 300 units.

2017-sales-chart-October-vfinal1.png

Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.

OrientExpress said:
Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.

Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.

LeftieBiker said:
OrientExpress said:

Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.
The Repub tax plan is general misery. Don't hold your breath on it becoming law.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
OrientExpress said:

The Repub tax plan is general misery. Don't hold your breath on it becoming law.

Maybe this revision won't pass, but they have to throw rich campaign donors a bone for the 2018 elections, so I expect something will pass.

the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW

DaveinOlyWA said:
the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW
Only if you give up and do not fight the corporate/rich tax giveaway

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Only if you give up and do not fight the corporate/rich tax giveaway

Never give up. Have been lobbying my reps to change EV incentives to a specified number applicable to all manufacturers so laggards either get on the stick or miss out. Then a ramp down period for all that is independent of sales figures during the ramp down.

The tax credit as written was flawed, but at least it had a solid timetable - manufacturers and consumers knew when it would go away. Axing it now will cause lots of unnecessary harm just to score political points on the Right.

It's incredible how many sales/leases Bolt managed in October 2017. I wonder if it'll remain above 2K units/month thru end of year. And, I wonder how much it might slow once '18 Leaf is available in the US.

cwerdna said:
It's incredible how many sales/leases Bolt managed in October 2017. I wonder if it'll remain above 2K units/month thru end of year. And, I wonder how much it might slow once '18 Leaf is available in the US.

I think the Bolt will be number one again in November with better than last month's sales. It will be number two or three in December behind the Model S and maybe the Model X (because of the way Tesla packs the last month of the quarter with sales). But there still might be a new sales record in December for the Bolt, even if it comes in second. December is always a big selling month because of buyers minimizing the wait for the tax credit benefit. And it will be doubly so this year with the possible tax credit elimination hanging out there.

Unfortunately, we won't get a good handle on how Leaf 2.0 impacts sales until Q2 or maybe early Q3 of next year. There is always a huge drop off in January and February, plus the Leaf will probably ramp up over a 3 or 4-month period.

The only reason that Bolt sales in October were at the volume they were is that GM was selling them at about a $6K loss to balance their inventory, especially on the west coast.

As of November they now have their Bolt inventories back to the way they want, so most of the incentives are now gone. The downside of the Bolt fire sale is that the Volt inventories are now in the same situation that Bolt sales were this summer.

With LEAF 2 sales starting in January, and the Bolt incentives gone for now, it is doubtful that GM will be able to maintain their Bolt sales momentum without returning to massive incentives again.

Back