LeftieBiker
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:57 pm

OrientExpress wrote:Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.


Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

SageBrush
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:20 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.


Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.

The Repub tax plan is general misery. Don't hold your breath on it becoming law.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Evoforce
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:05 pm

SageBrush wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:Nissan planned on being sold out of 2016 and 2017 cars by November of this year, with limited availability of the 2018 car starting in December. They sold out as planned, but as things happen in a model transition, the production start was delayed, so limited availability will now start in late January with wide availability probably by the end of March. Nissan's biggest markets for EVs will get LEAFs first, with the rest starting in March.


Does Nissan yet realize that their US sales and especially leases are going to be very slow because of the Federal tax credit going away early? If I were them I'd be desperately trying to come up with a way to lease the 2018 Leaf before 12/31/17. I don't especially want a Bolt, but that's what I'll be leasing if Nissan doesn't get on the ball tomorrow.

The Repub tax plan is general misery. Don't hold your breath on it becoming law.


Maybe this revision won't pass, but they have to throw rich campaign donors a bone for the 2018 elections, so I expect something will pass.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12313
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am

the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:29 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW

Only if you give up and do not fight the corporate/rich tax giveaway
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12313
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 am

SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:the tax thing is coming no matter what... so we are delaying the inevitable. Soon Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be up to $7500 more than VW, Chrysler and BMW

Only if you give up and do not fight the corporate/rich tax giveaway


Never give up. Have been lobbying my reps to change EV incentives to a specified number applicable to all manufacturers so laggards either get on the stick or miss out. Then a ramp down period for all that is independent of sales figures during the ramp down.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:22 pm

The tax credit as written was flawed, but at least it had a solid timetable - manufacturers and consumers knew when it would go away. Axing it now will cause lots of unnecessary harm just to score political points on the Right.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7257
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:44 am

It's incredible how many sales/leases Bolt managed in October 2017. I wonder if it'll remain above 2K units/month thru end of year. And, I wonder how much it might slow once '18 Leaf is available in the US.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

User avatar
jhm614
Forum Supporter
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am

cwerdna wrote:It's incredible how many sales/leases Bolt managed in October 2017. I wonder if it'll remain above 2K units/month thru end of year. And, I wonder how much it might slow once '18 Leaf is available in the US.


I think the Bolt will be number one again in November with better than last month's sales. It will be number two or three in December behind the Model S and maybe the Model X (because of the way Tesla packs the last month of the quarter with sales). But there still might be a new sales record in December for the Bolt, even if it comes in second. December is always a big selling month because of buyers minimizing the wait for the tax credit benefit. And it will be doubly so this year with the possible tax credit elimination hanging out there.

Unfortunately, we won't get a good handle on how Leaf 2.0 impacts sales until Q2 or maybe early Q3 of next year. There is always a huge drop off in January and February, plus the Leaf will probably ramp up over a 3 or 4-month period.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Nissan LEAF Sales for September

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:03 am

The only reason that Bolt sales in October were at the volume they were is that GM was selling them at about a $6K loss to balance their inventory, especially on the west coast.

As of November they now have their Bolt inventories back to the way they want, so most of the incentives are now gone. The downside of the Bolt fire sale is that the Volt inventories are now in the same situation that Bolt sales were this summer.

With LEAF 2 sales starting in January, and the Bolt incentives gone for now, it is doubtful that GM will be able to maintain their Bolt sales momentum without returning to massive incentives again.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Return to “Off-Topic”