Ride-Sharing Services in Semi-Rural Areas?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

Hi - does anyone know a good source of information or a forum where insightful points have been made about how services like Uber and Lyft work out in semi-rural areas? I ask in part because I am near Nogales, Arizona and I've heard that a couple of drivers tried to make it work here with Uber, but that it didn't work out. I'd love it if Uber or Lyft would come to this area. For one thing, I think it would reduce the amount that some drivers risk driving after a few beers, here and there. (The part of the county that I am in, taxis are prohibitively expensive and do not consistently respond when called.)

Most of these services are in larger metro areas. As an example, our Tri-Cities (Kennewick Pasco Richland, plus some smaller adjacent cities, Burbank, Finley and West Richland) are over 250,000 but are only just now getting Uber approved and not yet in Richland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Washington

So you can't even get Uber for a 15 mi trip from Richland to the airport! Our newspaper claimed that ours is the largest in the nation without ride sharing. So much for reducing regulations, adding jobs, improving competition and giving people more freedom of choice. I'll give you one guess on which political party rules this area.

Reddy said:
Most of these services are in larger metro areas. As an example, our Tri-Cities (Kennewick Pasco Richland, plus some smaller adjacent cities, Burbank, Finley and West Richland) are over 250,000 but are only just now getting Uber approved and not yet in Richland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Washington

So you can't even get Uber for a 15 mi trip from Richland to the airport! Our newspaper claimed that ours is the largest in the nation without ride sharing. So much for reducing regulations, adding jobs, improving competition and giving people more freedom of choice. I'll give you one guess on which political party rules this area.

Thanks Reddy, ... aside from concerns about over-regulation, I'm wondering if there is something about the economics and geography inherent to ridesharing business in more spread-out areas that make it less viable for the drivers and customers than in dense urban areas.

I'm also wondering if outside the US they have managed to come up with some different answers on ridesharing questions.

Back