LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:21 am

The title is pretty self-explanatory. While EV subsidies don't amount to much in the Federal budget, they are an easy target for a Right-Wing Government. And we need to understand that this isn't about just one man taking power in the US. The Republican Party will, starting next year, be in control of both Houses of the Legislative Branch, and of the Executive Branch, with the Judiciary soon to follow. There's obviously a lot to talk about, sadly, but the most pertinent aspect for this forum is how long that $7500 Federal Subsidy will last. I'm guessing maybe until March. Maybe not that long...
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:41 am

What makes you think it is anywhere near the top of the list of things they want to change right away? There is a Supreme Court Justice to nominate, and Obamacare to repeal and replace. That should keep them busy for quite a while.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:24 am

Don't forget digging up Michelle's garden.

As I mentioned on the other thread, They could be OK on account of the US manufacturing jobs. Remember the old saw "What's good for General Motors is good for America". Maybe we just throw in "or Tesla".

Nobody knows, he isn't really a conservative.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

Zythryn

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:30 am

baustin wrote:What makes you think it is anywhere near the top of the list of things they want to change right away? There is a Supreme Court Justice to nominate, and Obamacare to repeal and replace. That should keep them busy for quite a while.

Don't forget the Paris accord to dismantle, and millions of illegal immigrants to deport :(
Previous owner of Prius, Volt & Leaf
Current owner of Model S
http://www.netzeromn.com

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 am

Increasing the use of EVs would benefit our country and have less reliance on foreign oil... So I cant see that TRUMP will axe it...

Hey, we all have bought our cars at a good price... I'm not concerned with the future of the $7500 refund.

If it goes away, then our cars will be worth that much more....

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:51 am

powersurge wrote:....Hey, we all have bought our cars at a good price... I'm not concerned with the future of the $7500 refund.....

We all didn't get our Leafs for a song, many including myself with my first Leaf paid in excess of $30k for the privilege of driving an EV, which with the $7500 rebate(I only got $6k due to my tax liability) brought my S down to the mid $20s, the most I've ever paid for a vehicle but I have no regrets. My second Leaf, a '12SL I got for a song, but it's really the only reason I got the second, how could I pass it up.
That said I feel it's almost time for the subsidies to end, they served their purpose to help spark ;) a revolution which I believe will continue even without the subsidies. After all I believe without intervention they were about to run out anyway and with the introduction of vehicles like the Prius Prime and others I really believe we've passed the point of no return. Not that I won't personally miss the rebates as I plan on only buying EVs or PHEV from now on but it is what is, the country as a majority has decided and all we can do is live with it....
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:13 am

I'm not worried about end of EV subsidies.

EVs will take off with or without subsidies. Might be slower, and I could see Trump targeting Tesla for destruction. But GM Bolt is likely safe, and will be at least a modest success. Battery prices continue to fall, gasoline will spike again.

FCEVs are probably in more danger. While I sometimes get annoyed at some advocates of hydrogen, I think fuel cell technology may be very important in 20 years or so, just perhaps not for personal transportation. And FCEVs are a good development platform.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 am

There are three companies who have benefited from the EV subsidy. Nissan, Tesla and GM. All three of them are near the end of the program since they have built nearly enough cars to start getting phased out. The program was unfairly designed to phase out manufacturers one by one instead of the entire program with a quantity. If it ended now, it would end fairly instead of the unfair ending that was about to happen where latecomers would get all the benefit and the three leaders would get screwed.

But I doubt that this program is on his list of things to change. He had a big list of things he wanted to do which should keep him busy for quite some time before getting to this subject.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss

qualitytech123
Delivery Date: 19 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 019880

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:15 am

I bought a beautiful 2012 Leaf w/ 12 bars about two months ago - my first EV. These cars are amazing. Subsidies can't make or break something that is worthy and solid. EVs will move on as people learn just as I did. I don't need government money to survive, and neither do EVs.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 am

Everyone forgets it was a Republican that got the ball rolling on the EV tax credit. And the clean air act, and civil rights, and ending slavery.

Perception and reality are two disjoint worlds when I think of the word "progressive".
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

Return to “Off-Topic”